Canon 7D Mk ii Exposure Compensation in M Mode?

russellsnr 15 227 England
27 Apr 2019 10:43AM
Hi, Waiting on the arrival of a 7D Mk ii and would ask can you use the exposure compensation in the 'M' mode as you can in AV or TV? Cannot do it with my 70D but my son uses Nikon and can do this Thankyou. Russ.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

saltireblue Plus
9 9.9k 37 Norway
27 Apr 2019 10:51AM
Surely 'M' is manual mode, and then you adjust the exposure using shutter/aperture or ISO? The exposure compensation facility is normally rendered unusable in this mode...
cuffit Plus
12 342 5 England
27 Apr 2019 11:03AM
I agree with Saltireblue, if you are in M Mode, the 'exposure compensation' is now down to you - by adjusting the shutter speed, ISO or aperture to taste. I use M Mode all the time as I find it faster to make the changes in changing light depending on what I am trying to achieve. That said, the exposure compensation when using in P, Tv or Av modes does the same thing - as long as you know what you are trying to achieve. I am sure someone will have a better way of explaining it. I also use a Canon 7D Mk 11, have fun with the menus and determine what works for you. Chris
27 Apr 2019 11:09AM

Quote:Surely 'M' is manual mode, and then you adjust the exposure using shutter/aperture or ISO? The exposure compensation facility is normally rendered unusable in this mode...

Hi, Yes of course you can do it with those options but if you have an ISO set not to go above (in the 7D Mk ii's case from what I have read up to1600 ISO works well without noise) Shutter speeds for BIF around minimum 1000 sec along with around F5.6 to F8 seems to be the go to options again from reading. However in a low light situation sometimes you need to push up a 1/3rd or 1/2 stop as you can in the AV/TV mode and an exposure compensation option would I felt be very helpful. Thankyou Russ.
27 Apr 2019 11:24AM
Hi, After posting I found this but as I don't yet have the 7D Mk ii in my hands I cannot try it out.
27177_1556360626.jpg

banehawi Plus
15 2.2k 4046 Canada
27 Apr 2019 1:17PM
You can access the exposure compensation, you can change it on the screen, but it will have NO effect on your image when in M mode. M means M.

For example, IF you could really perform exposure compensation in M mode, which of the three controls that you control would you prefer the EC to alter? Aperture, Shutter, or ISO? You can directly control all three in M mode yourself quickly and simply.
Philh04 Plus
14 2.1k United Kingdom
27 Apr 2019 1:56PM

Quote: but it will have NO effect on your image when in M mode. M means M.

I do agree, however the exception is when using manual exposure mode with Auto ISO engaged (Technically it is another form of auto exposure) when you wish to maintain a shutter speed and aperture but still be able to handle changing lighting conditions which I believe is what the OP is referring to.
28 Apr 2019 8:14PM
OK, Manual is for you to set the exposure yourself, a bit obvious really!

AV, P, TV will all automatically adjust the exposure based on the light level, and the portion of light reflected back from the subject. All meters are based on subjects that reflect 18% of the light falling on a subject. Now, if you are shooting a dark subject, you will need to instruct the camera to 'underexpose' and with a very light subject, instruct the camera to 'overexpose' by dialling in compensation. You are not really over or underexposing, merely telling the camera to compensate for a non standard subject.

OK, here's a practical example. Last night my assignment was a massed concert of male voice choirs; all the performers were wearing black suits. The lighting LEVEL was fixed, so the exposure would be the same wherever I pointed my camera. Remember exposure is a function of how light falls on a subject, not how much is reflected back. In this case, I used manual metering, as the light level was unchanging.

So, I set my exposure to the midpoint using the built in meter for a test shot. The jackets came out full of detail, and the grey haired singers had glowing white hair. I did another test shot, having backed off my exposure by a stop to 'underexpose'' to compensate for the dark subject. So, every time I adjusted either aperture or shutter speed, I used the same amount of 'compensation' to maintain the same level of exposure.

Now, of course if these singers were replaced by a choir dressed in white robes, the exposure meter might read 1 stop over. That doesn't mean that the exposure settings need to change, merely that the meter is now being fooled in the opposite direction. All you would need to do in this situation would be to keep your exposure at the same 1 stop over level

It might be worth Googling something like "how do incident light meters work'.

Anyway, congratulations on going for the 7D Mk2 whilst they can still be found. My favourite weatherproof, high speed camera for press work. Last night the 5D Mk2 did only half the work of the 7D, the only advantage being better low light grain.
Philh04 Plus
14 2.1k United Kingdom
29 Apr 2019 8:57AM

Quote:OK, Manual is for you to set the exposure yourself, a bit obvious really!

Agreed, however reading between the lines the OP is looking at using manual exposure along with Auto ISO (which by all accounts is an Auto mode) in order to maintain a fixed shutter speed and aperture, in this case any compensation will be a function of ISO...

Quote:All meters are based on subjects that reflect 18% of the light falling on a subject.

Not strictly true with todays modern in built TTL meters.

Quote: Remember exposure is a function of how light falls on a subject, not how much is reflected back.

Really?

Quote:It might be worth Googling something like "how do incident light meters work'.

Not really going to be of any help when using the TTL meter in the camera which is intended for reflected light readings.

The information on exposure compensation is very well explained here though and a good example.
29 Apr 2019 12:59PM
I normally shoot in Manual mode telling the camera shutter speed and aperture, but I usually shoot 2/3 stop to the right and am happy for the camera to use auto ISO but only up to 1600 a lower value is quite acceptable higher not
colin beeley Plus
16 1.2k 10 England
1 May 2019 9:33AM
i always shoot in M mode on my 7D MKII with auto ISO and you can change exp com , just press the Q button.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.