Enter the ePHOTOzine Christmas Prize Draw extravaganza!

Canon 90D or RF? How many pixels can I lose?

MiqsPix 8 43 United Kingdom
30 Nov 2019 2:45PM
I have a EOS 60D and want to upgrade to a newer camera. My obvious choice would be a new 90D just announced which will use all the lenses I have. However, I'm now well into retirement so I have to consider the overall bag weight to carry so the full frame mirrorless RF is possibly a good choice. But as I want to use my EFS lenses, using the adaptor on the RF will crop all my images down to the 1.6 factor presumably similar to my 60D. So if I am going to lose all my pixels in using the RF what's the point? What's the advantage of using the adaptor if you lose extra pixels that you wanted in the first place?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

sherlob Plus
13 3.1k 129 United Kingdom
30 Nov 2019 2:53PM
I can't answer your question but I have an observation. The weight saving in moving to mirrorless is probably less associated to the body (albeit this makes some difference), but moreover the glass. If you are moving to mirrorless just to save weight, but keeping your lenses - are you really going to save much weight?
MiqsPix 8 43 United Kingdom
30 Nov 2019 3:18PM
No, agreed. But future RF lenses I am told may be lighter. However you are quite right. My instinct is to continue with a DSLR as the 90D will be very familiar to use as my old 60D, and is very slightly lighter. I guess I am guilty of swallowing all the mirrorless frenzy at the moment that it is is the only way to go at this time. We shall see. Thanks anyway.
thewilliam2 2 1.3k
30 Nov 2019 8:05PM

Quote:I can't answer your question but I have an observation. The weight saving in moving to mirrorless is probably less associated to the body (albeit this makes some difference), but moreover the glass. If you are moving to mirrorless just to save weight, but keeping your lenses - are you really going to save much weight?

The Nikon mirrorless lenses seem an awful lot heavier than the old SLR versions!
Chris_L 5 5.3k United Kingdom
30 Nov 2019 11:03PM

Quote: I guess I am guilty of swallowing all the mirrorless frenzy at the moment that it is is the only way to go at this time
Canon and Nikon were slow to move into mirrorless - can't blame them when they were selling so many DSLRs and in the lower end of the consumer market there was a move away from 'proper' cameras to smartphone photography.

It would have seemed like an expensive gamble. Meanwhile other manufacturers were busy knocking out mirrorless cameras in order to differentiate themselves from Canon and Nikon, the latter two are now having to produce better mirrorless models after witnessing their high end full frame sales decimated by the likes of Sony.

So for ages the camera news has been full of mirrorless this, mirrorless that - yet it's not a good enough reason to get one. You won't save enough weight going mirrorless to make it worth it unless you change to a much smaller system like Micro Four Thirds.

I don't wish to be rude, but if you are still using mid-range Tamron zoom lenses I would say I'd never choose a 90D with those versus a 60D with better glass , invest in a high end zoom or a cheap but high quality prime. Glass first, every time.
Somerled7 Plus
3 166 8 United Kingdom
30 Nov 2019 11:53PM
There is usually a small benefit in weight in going from a D-SLR to mirrorless if the sensor size is the same, however if you go to a larger sensor (APS-C --> Full Frame) the lenses will be larger and heavier, completely negating any weight benefit in the camera. So your choice is go for a 90D (which I think is a very good camera) and use your current lenses, go Full Frame mirrorless and buy new heavier lenses or as suggested above start again with something like Micro Four Thirds if weight is your main priority.

Me, I have the EOS 80D, but I have some Full Frame lenses to get some weight lifting practice in before I get a Full Frame camera Wink
1 Dec 2019 9:13AM
If you want to go small with canon kit and continue to use your EF or EFS lenses you could consider the Canon M range of mirrorless aspc bodies and lenses, I believe the new M6 has the same sensor as the 90d and there is a canon adapter for existing lenses

Additionally the range has some good lenses such as the 11-22mm and 22mm, however you might want to fondle and try a mirrorless out first as the EVF is different than the DSLR OVF

seahawk 12 1.3k United Kingdom
1 Dec 2019 10:48AM
I had the same issue 2 years ago. I sold my Nikon kit and bought Lumix G80 plus a couple of lenses. I don't regret it for a minute as the MFT sensor has greater DOF and having taken the same shot on the Nikon and on the Lumix and printed both at A3+ size I honestly cannot tell the difference! The Lumix kit is much lighter to carry. I recently shot photos for a calendar for the National Trust for Scotland using the Lumix and they were quite happy as the calendar is now on sale!
I would consider the MFT option in your position.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.