Zoner Photo Studio X: The photo editor for your entire workflow

Canon A80 Lens Adaptor

tigerminx 18 237 South Africa
19 Aug 2004 1:12PM
I am looking at purchasing a lens adpator for my Canon A80. Reason being, I have read up on the internet that you can attach filters, such as a Circular Polariser, ND Filters etc. Can anyone give me any advice on the matter. If it works well, or if the filter will be to far from the lens itself etc.

At the moment a DSLR is out of my price range, and I would therefore like to use the method mentioned above to improve or should I say learn about certain filters/filter combinations etc. So that when I do purchase a DSLR next year some time, I will have the knowledge behind me. Any advice or feedback would be of much importance to me.
Thanks. Bruce.
Ade_Osman 19 4.5k 36 England
19 Aug 2004 4:30PM
Any filter you use will obviously be at the end of the adapter. My wife uses an adapter on the end of her Canon S1 and with a Cokin adapter ring and filter holder screwed into the end of that. Because I use the Cokin P filters a lot on my 10D, she nicks mine all the time.....Annoying when I can't find my ND's I tell you, but I don't mind really. Back to the plot, yep she gets quite good results, especially when using a polariser!....hope this helps answer your query.....Ade
wing 18 456 United Kingdom
19 Aug 2004 4:43PM
Bruce.
I have the Canon A80 as my "carry everywhere camera". A major reason behind me buying the camera was the ability to fit the adaptor ring and use the same 52mm filters that my Nikon primes take.
With it fitted it protrudes just short of 1.5" from the body of the camera and with the lens extended there is around 1/4" between the front of the lens and the rear of the filter.
I have used it with a polariser and it works very well, although I have not found it necessary to use any other filters as the lens copes very well without.
Another use is, because of the long shutter speeds available with this camera "up to 15 seconds", it is handy for infra red photography with a cheap Hoya R72 filter fitted.

One word of warning. If you do intend to fit the adaptor and walk around with it, I would suggest getting a small neck strap. Canon sell one of those round metal types to fit this camera, "the type that traps the hairs on the back of your neck" ouch! Although I picked a third party make up for just over 3.

Paul
madprof365 18 4
19 Aug 2004 6:48PM
I purchase an A80 for just the same reasons in that I was able to use the attachment and a 52 mm adapter to attach my Cokin Filters to it. I have use mainly a Polatiser & Nuteral Density Grads and whole filters (Cokin No's 153 & 153).
tigerminx 18 237 South Africa
19 Aug 2004 9:23PM
Guys, thanks so much for all your comments and advice. I have gone ahead with the order of the lens adaptor and Circular Polariser.

Could anyone recommend which ND filter I should go for? I would like to solve the clouds burning out when I have exposed for foreground objects etc...

Thanks Paul, Ade and G W Ruffell once again.
Bruce.
browny 18 1
5 Oct 2004 5:12PM
Hi Bruce

Could I pick your brain about the lens adpator you ended up with ? What make is it, and where did you find it ? Was it expensive ?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Andy
vfr400 20 886
5 Oct 2004 7:19PM
Bruce, I'd get hold of a speedgraphic catalogue HERE more filters than you would ever need. But to start with I'd buy the cokin ND grad kit 3 ND grads 1,2 & 3 stops and filter holder just needs the 52mm adpter ring the kit is 30 + postage the other filter I'd use would be a warm up filter 81b.
chris

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.