Amazon Music Unlimited Offer: 3-Months For FREE!

Canon EOS 1Ds

keithh 17 25.8k 33 Wallis And Futuna
9 Mar 2004 7:20PM
You cannot compare the 1DS with the Kodak back, one is a toy the other is a camera. As for the quality of the Leaf, I've seen the proof and it is mind blowing. There is more to any camera or its capture hardware than pixel count alone. Having a RAW 16bit 126mb file is very uselful indeed. The camera is also fully operable from a computer and try using the 1DS at 25iso. As to using film - I simply don't have the time. At one time I would have taken the shot, developed it, or had it couriered to the lab, the checked the prints for colour match, had a matchprint run off and then checked that, if it wasn't right, have it redone until it was. Cost per matchprint - 200 at least. It doesn't take an accountant to see that Iris proofing and the good old 7600 save sme time, money and does the job just as well.
FrankThomas 18 2.8k United Kingdom
9 Mar 2004 8:08PM
I think "toy" is a little harsh but I know what you mean about the output from those things - I had a demo of the H1 with a Phase 1 back (I think it was a Phase 1 - could have been a leaf, I was drooling too much to pay attention) and the quality was incredible. If I'd had the money, I'd have bought one on the spot.
mattw 17 5.2k 10 United Kingdom
9 Mar 2004 8:36PM
Barrie,

there is one thing you are forgetting with your sensor size comparison - the smaller the sensor size, the more demands that places upon the quality of the glass you put in front of it. After all, surly the king of the sensor resolution is the Sony 828 - and look what happened to that!

And speaking of the prosumers, if you increase the size of the sensor to cram in more pixles, then you will need to scale up the size, weight and cost of the lens as well.

Matt
User_Removed 19 7.3k 6 United Kingdom
9 Mar 2004 9:16PM
Not sure I follow you about the lenses Matt

Barrie Smile
bill m 17 85
10 Mar 2004 11:36AM
One word about buying from US websites at what seem (and often are) very attractive prices: they often don't include everything in the package that we would normally find when buying from a UK high street. When they say "camera only", that is exactly what they mean ... and the price of everything else you may need from the little cap that goes over the lens mounting, to strap, to leads, software, batteries, memory cards, can add very considerably to the initial cost. Admittedly, this can also be the case in the UK High Street, but generally, not to the same extent as in the US, I have found.
park my ferret 17 1.0k United Kingdom
14 Mar 2004 12:39PM
keith - how do you find the noise levels on the 1Ds? - I tried one and they seemed worse than he 10d.
keithh 17 25.8k 33 Wallis And Futuna
14 Mar 2004 7:10PM
answered your other thread, Paul
LAF 18 1.7k
14 Apr 2004 3:09AM
Noise levels...

D30, 1D, D60 and 1DS all bad at higher ISO's. 10D, 300D and 1D MkII all good at higher ISO's. Simply due to the use of Digic DACS in the latter. MUCH cleaner processing.

As for 1D shooting above it's megapixels, it doesn't, it is merely overkill for it's target output - newpaper (the fact that it has an AF system that works also markedly increases the chace of your pictures being sharp in the first place).

1Ds prices are currently falling like flies in a Magimix due to the iminent launch of the 1D MkII, which wipes the floor with it in everything but ultimate resolution, which is still significantly above that of 35mm E6. People want to have their cake AND eat it. Otherwise we'd be shooting Sinar and DCS14. And, of course, we're not!

Lee.
onewildworld 18 696 4 United Kingdom
14 Apr 2004 12:31PM
Disagree with the DCS14n - and here is an early sorry to anyone using one - I've seen many files from it and boy - THEY'RE TERRIBLE! Those extra few million pixels in comparison to 1Ds mean nothing....period.
just my tupence.
Dave

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.