Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

  • NEWS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Ticket discount with EZPTPS18 for The Photography Show 2018

Canon EOS 20D Eyecup

IanFlindt Plus
13 740 21 United Kingdom
8 Mar 2005 6:03AM
I've found that my view of a scene through the viewfinder is enhanced immeasurably if I place a hand on either side of my face to stop the light from leaking in and diminishing the quality of the view. Trouble is, I need my hands for other purposes!

Any suggestions on a way around this? I note Canon does an extended eyecup (ep-ex15) but that appears primarily to assist those with glasses ; it's not intended to cut down on unwanted light.

I have thought about draping a black scarf over my head and camera (so creating the sort of blanket those school photographers used to use) but my wife's threatened to leave me if I do.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

digicammad Plus
14 22.0k 39 United Kingdom
8 Mar 2005 6:08AM
If the extended eyecup is rubber it should help with or without glasses as it makes a better seal around your eye.

IanFlindt Plus
13 740 21 United Kingdom
8 Mar 2005 6:33AM
Thanks, Ian - unfortunately it's not of rubber.
elikag Plus
13 749
8 Mar 2005 6:35AM
Saw a photog with an eyecap that was very similar to the eyecaps you find on pro TV cams (the portable kind - andytvcams Wink it was pretty old camera, by design. Never got a chance to talk to him. So I wonder - was it self/custom made or are there things like that for sale?

Ilia Kagan.
14 Dec 2006 4:08PM
Hi Ian, did you ever find a solution to this problem? I'm looking for an eyecup as well.

cambirder Plus
14 7.2k England
14 Dec 2006 4:20PM
They are available from Digital Rev and other Hong Kong ebay stores for under 10 inc postage.
andytvcams Plus
15 10.4k 1 United Kingdom
14 Dec 2006 4:26PM
I use These and just adapt them to fit over my 5D viewfinder.
14 Dec 2006 5:09PM
Thanks guys, I will have to see what I can find.
collywobles Plus
13 4.0k 10 United Kingdom
14 Dec 2006 7:57PM
Flindt, the Canon eye extender is just that, it puts a 15mm spacer mainly for people who wear glasses. Hoever, you have to put the original eyepiece on as well, and thats rubber.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.