Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

Canon EOS 300v or Canon EOS 3000n

Rhona 18 18 United Kingdom
12 Oct 2003 4:12PM
I currently use an old manual focus Praktica BX20 and am looking to purchase an easy to use autofocus SLR. I seem to have narrowed my decision down to either the Canon EOS 300v or the Canon EOS 3000n, both with 2 lenses. There doesn't appear to be much difference between the 2 cameras apart from the cost. Can anyone tell me what the differences are and, in their opinion, which is the better buy. should I spend the extra and go for the Canon EOS30 and if so, why is this model better.
DanB 18 97
13 Oct 2003 12:05PM
Get the best camera you can afford. The eos 30 is much better than both the other 2 suggested, while the 300v is a new release from canon, and has recieved good reviews. I had the eos 30, and apart from the slow flash sync (1/125) it was a great camera.
13 Oct 2003 4:19PM
Thanks DanB. Will certainly give your suggestion some consideration. It looks as if it is going to be 'I'll get what I pay for'.
durlstonp 18 638 1 United Kingdom
13 Oct 2003 6:16PM
Rhona, if you have the money, you will not regret buying the EOS30 - it is the best value camera in the current range in my view. You can always buy additional lenses later.

That said, it is noticeably heavier than the others you mention (better build quality too) and so that may not suit your intended use (you don't say what you want to photograph). My advice for camera buying remains "Go to the shop and try out every camera you are considering. One of them will fit your hands better than the others and will just feel right. Buy that one - you'll never look back."

DP
Hiljo 18 51
13 Oct 2003 7:25PM
One of the main differences between the 3000 and the 300 is that the 300 has depth of field preview and the 3000 doesn't.I'm not sure if the 3000 has a cable release port either.
I had a 300 as a spare body; until my daughter seconded it, and was quite pleased with it. My main camera is a 33; the 30 without the eye control focus and its that bit cheaper than the 30. I'm very pleased with the 33. Although it isn't often advertised with a lens if you push the suppliers they will do it as a set.
I would go onto the Ephotozine shop, Canon or Jessops sight and compare specifications. As DP has said the 30/33 is quite a bit heavier than the other 2.
As well as handling the cameras before you buy look at the instruction book to check what the various modes etc do. Don't be afraid to go to several camera shops and if the shop you like doesn't seem to do the deal you want try seeing if they will match price.
Best of luck
Hilary
14 Oct 2003 4:29PM
Thanks to DP and Hilary for the advice. It is all very helpful.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.