Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Christmas Prize Draw 2017

Canon EOS M 1st step into mirrorless

russellsnr 13 178 England
12 Aug 2017 12:04PM
Hi, Never used,held,seen a Canon M series camera but after reading on many pages across the net and as I have Canon lenses I thought 'give it a go' so bought a Canon M, yes I no it's there 1st one but walk before I can run. Anyway have a couple questions. (1) I have along with EF and EF's two STM lenses 50mm and 10-18mm can I use them with the adapter? (2) Anyone direct to a site that is Canon M only where I can pick up some info.
I do use and will load MagicLantern on the M as it's a great piece of Software/Firmware.
Thanks in advance. Russ

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

banehawi Plus
13 1.7k 3779 Canada
12 Aug 2017 2:21PM
Non M lenses work with the adapter; so anything that attaches to a non M camera will attach to the adapter.

Miles Herbert Plus
15 1.8k 4 United Kingdom
14 Aug 2017 8:19AM
The original Eos M is a good little camera made better by Magic Lantern, although the auto focus can be a little slow. I got one a while back (Argos were selling them as a kit for less then the cost of the lens on it's own!) which is still being used by my better half, usually with a Eos fit 55 - 250 STM lens on an adapter on the front of it - it works fine. I later won an M3 in a competition which was okay for most things, the AF was a bit faster but not a lot, and Canon cut down the software suite so no Magic Lantern (and no turning off exposure simulation so no good in a studio or with off camera flash!)

When the M5 came out I had a good look at it before part-exing the M3 for one on a very good deal at a trade show. Finally Canon seem to have got the M series right with a super little camera - fast accurate AF and the full Eos software suite. It's what the original M should have been ... perhaps a few years too late now as they are really having to play catch-up in the mirrorless market, but I like it, and I really like being able to use all my existing Canon lenses on it so no need to buy any new glass!
frenchie44 11 333 United Kingdom
14 Aug 2017 10:51AM
I saw that Argos were selling the M for 199, I bought a white version, the AF is slow, but all the rest of it is good, the Picture Quality is very good. its going to be converted to Infrared with a 665nm filter.
A real bargain
14 Aug 2017 4:24PM

Quote:I saw that Argos were selling the M for 199, I bought a white version, the AF is slow, but all the rest of it is good, the Picture Quality is very good. its going to be converted to Infrared with a 665nm filter.
A real bargain

I have a canon 600D that I had converted to IR with a 665nm and wished I had gone a little higher on that one I don't seem to get good colour from any image.
randomrubble 13 3.0k 12 United Kingdom
17 Aug 2017 11:02PM
I reckon the Eos M was better than the press it got, and I think the later versions really are getting there. I had an M and if it could have taken an EVF id still have it (swapped to an M3).

Used prices seem to have risen over the last few months too, probably because the M5&6 have raised the profile of the system.
18 Aug 2017 8:39AM

Quote:I reckon the Eos M was better than the press it got, and I think the later versions really are getting there. I had an M and if it could have taken an EVF id still have it (swapped to an M3).

Used prices seem to have risen over the last few months too, probably because the M5&6 have raised the profile of the system.

Paid 117UKP for the body ,charger and discs I do prefer an EVF as where I live it is very bright most days and was concerned on that front but will see how it goes
Russ

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.