Zoner Photo Studio X: The only photo editor you'll ever need - save 25%

Canon G10 Vs Samsung WB1000 Vs Lumix LX3

10 Jun 2009 11:23AM
Hi there

I have just sold ALL of my DSLR equipment as I simply was not using it, and now want to buy myself a compact camera that can do the whole DSLR thing, in hope that I might actually start taking it out with me (being a compact).

The 3 cameras I have been looking at are the G10, LX3 and the WB1000.

I am aware that none of these will replace a DSLR but the point is I never took my 20D with me anywhere as it was too big.

If anyone can help/advise me on these 3 cameras or offer any alternatives I would be very grateful.

I am looking for quality images, full manual capabilities, easy to use, RAW images and HD video is an added bonus.

Thanks in advance for any info anyone can throw in my direction....

Thanks folks

Scott
PWhittle 15 176 United Kingdom
10 Jun 2009 11:36AM
I got the G10 (370 before they went through the roof!)
I got it as a family camera, to keep with us when I don't want to lug the 5D and lenses around.

overall it's excellent, solid, great controls, manual controls, obviously good resolution.
Viewed at 100% the quality is way off a good SLR and lense, so you can't sell images for stock, but plenty good enough for most uses. I'll have it in my bag at weddings too - being so discreet may have advantages.
The video isn't HD - neither is my telly, but it is 30fps, so nice and smooth. I think it only uses digital zoom when in video mode though, as it really does degrade the qaulity. It's been great having it handy though. I'll be tesing it on my first motorbike race soon, as it's the smallest thing I have to take vids.

Picture quality is probably on a par with a basic entre level SLR and kit lens - and the camera is probably a better bet for many 'normal' users.

No RAW support in ACR yet though.

I can't comment on the others, but one of the mags just out has a review.
cameracat 17 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
10 Jun 2009 11:44AM

Quote:compact camera that can do the whole DSLR thing

There is no such animal.....Sad

That said if you are prepared to accept the quality limitations etc etc, The Canon G10 Or Panasonic LX3 seem highly regarded by DSLR owners......!
10 Jun 2009 12:15PM

Quote:Quote:compact camera that can do the whole DSLR thingThere is no such animal.....

That said if you are prepared to accept the quality limitations etc etc, The Canon G10 Or Panasonic LX3 seem highly regarded by DSLR owners......!

Yeah I appreciate that.... but I would like as close a product as I can get. I am not worried about price as I have the readies from the sale of all my kit

Quote:

overall it's excellent, solid, great controls, manual controls, obviously good resolution.
Viewed at 100% the quality is way off a good SLR and lense, so you can't sell images for stock, but plenty good enough for most uses.

What are the images like to blow up though, I like to have my shots around the house at times in frames... I take it it is still good for that?
strawman 18 22.2k 16 United Kingdom
10 Jun 2009 12:20PM
From prints I have seen, (and tests with a friends G9) , if you keep the ISO down low, meter it exactly correctly, keep the shutter speed up in the reasonable range (1/30 or faster) do not do drastic adjustments to curves...

then good A3 prints are possible. But it does not have the ability to cope with high contrast scenes or low light levels. So for many situations you can get cracking results.
10 Jun 2009 12:22PM
I've only done a couple of 6x4s so far.
I'd be suprised if there any issue up to A4, which is way under the native size at 300dpi.
I do find the images need quite a contract tweak, but there may be a way of doing that in-camera.
Also the response time is pretty good for a compact, though not the best apparently, and the flash really drains the battery.
The auto WB is much better than the 5D.
10 Jun 2009 12:23PM

Quote:From prints I have seen, (and tests with a friends G9) , if you keep the ISO down low, meter it exactly correctly, keep the shutter speed up in the reasonable range (1/30 or faster) do not do drastic adjustments to curves...

then good A3 prints are possible. But it does not have the ability to cope with high contrast scenes or low light levels. So for many situations you can get cracking results.

that's true - the dynamic range is nowhere near the 5D (I haven't used other DSLRs for a while).
Still, if you cram 14.7 MB into a cropped sensor, something's going to give!
pcheywood 16 1.3k England
10 Jun 2009 12:25PM
If you want DSLR IQ in a compact there are only two models capable at the moment, though there are more in the pipeline.

The two models are the Sigma DP1 and DP2, though you have to work with their fixed lens capabilities. If you want to wait a little there is an Olympus E-P1 (micro 4/3rds) on its way with interchangeable lenses (including zooms).

Paul.
b6waf 15 6 United Kingdom
10 Jun 2009 1:15PM
I'm a keen SLR photographer (and remain so) but I wanted a compact take-everywhere camera. I opted for the G10 last December. It is a very nicely constructed camera and pleasing to use, but after a month it was on eBay. The image noise was COMPLETELY unacceptable, at any ISO setting. In January I bought an LX3 and I am 100% delighted with it. On one occasion I took it on a walk along with my EOS450D and took pictures side by side. When I returned home and printed them on A4 and A3, it was impossible to differentiate between them (in fact in some cases the LX3 was voted the better). I have taken some absolutely stunning shots with my LX3, particularly in low light. The lens is so fast that almost all the shots I take are at ISO80 (although they are still excellent at higher speeds).

Ergonomically the camera is a joy to use and I absolutely cannot recommend it highly enough (and I have no connection with the trade). I see that they are just coming into stock again in the UK, having been more or less unobtainable since January. Go for it and get one - you will not be disappointed.
10 Jun 2009 1:20PM
See DPReview for a good comparison of the G10, LX3 and other top-end compacts.
Their review of the DP1 indicates flaws I personally would not like to live with, need to dig up a DP2 review and see if they got it sorted.

I know that both the G10 and LX3 are excellent cameras.
I went for the LX3 as I wanted the ability to shoot in social situations without flash (not a strong point of the G10).
10 Jun 2009 1:40PM
Hi, I bought the G10 as a go anywhere camera and to back up my 40d. I am really pleased with it as a compact camera and what drew me to my choice was the fact that the G10 uses some of the SLR accessories such as speedlights etc. I can't speak for the other models but I have had no disapointments with the G10 but as a compact I wouldn't expect it to compete with a DSLR.
daviewat 18 4.1k Scotland
10 Jun 2009 2:02PM
Funny enough I was thinking the same thing, and I do have a Ricoh GX100 which gives amazing quality and i also use an extender lens on it that gives good range, see last 3 or 4 images on my PF and you will see what I mean.

So I am looking to sell all my D300 kit and just get another one of these Smile or the GX200 perhaps.
10 Jun 2009 3:21PM

Quote:I'm a keen SLR photographer (and remain so) but I wanted a compact take-everywhere camera. I opted for the G10 last December. It is a very nicely constructed camera and pleasing to use, but after a month it was on eBay. The image noise was COMPLETELY unacceptable, at any ISO setting. In January I bought an LX3 and I am 100% delighted with it. On one occasion I took it on a walk along with my EOS450D and took pictures side by side. When I returned home and printed them on A4 and A3, it was impossible to differentiate between them (in fact in some cases the LX3 was voted the better). I have taken some absolutely stunning shots with my LX3, particularly in low light. The lens is so fast that almost all the shots I take are at ISO80 (although they are still excellent at higher speeds).

Ergonomically the camera is a joy to use and I absolutely cannot recommend it highly enough (and I have no connection with the trade). I see that they are just coming into stock again in the UK, having been more or less unobtainable since January. Go for it and get one - you will not be disappointed.

Am I right in saying that the LX3 has only got a 2x optical zoom though? From asking about, this seems to be avery hard camera to get hold of. Out of stock in loads of places, which I guess should tell me something
Rob_Taylor 17 661 5 Wales
10 Jun 2009 10:02PM
Another 100% delighted LX3 owner here!
The zoom range is 2.5x (24-60mm) not a great range but very useful wide end of 24mm. This is maybe a downside. The only other downside is possibly the lack of optical viewfinder - the screen is difficult to see in bright sunlight outdoors.
I can live with these 2 drawbacks because of all the good things.
I've printed a few half frame cropped images at A4 which show the quality possible at A3 ....they are very good (in my opinion)

Rob
stolzy 16 3.8k 7
11 Jun 2009 6:35AM

Quote:The image noise was COMPLETELY unacceptable

I agree, and I have a G9 which has even fewer pixels so is probably better from the noise point of view than the G10.
its a pity the manufacturers have been led (by their marketing departments) down the road of compromising quality by constantly increasiing pixel counts on small cameras.

My G9 has 10MP and it would be a far better (and cheaper) camera with 6-8MP. The noise ruins it.

It also has shockingly bad chromatic aberration.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.