Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Enter ePHOTOzine's Prize Draw, with fab gifts for everyone! Click Here

Canon G9, is it the Daddy?

18 Sep 2007 9:23PM
I asked a Canon rep about the forthcoming possibility of a G series camera with an APS-C sensor he said it was on the cards. But gave no indication as to when. Could be another 2 to 3yrs.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Little Jo Plus
14 2.3k United Kingdom
18 Sep 2007 9:39PM
The reason I haven't replaced the G3 is that later models had higher pixel counts, but lacked noise control and image quality. Just because I may want to 'travel light' on occasion doesn't mean I want noisy photos afflicted with chromatic abberation.

I suppose I'm after a competant compact with good AF, plenty of manual control, compatibility with my Canon flashguns, with good image quality. I await the verdict of other members before parting with my cash.

domhenry 8 111 England
19 Sep 2007 12:16AM
Having had a good old fiddle with it here are some G9 points for you to consider when fingering your cash:

> Annoyingly no printed manual, it comes as a pdf on a CD
> High ISOs e.g. 800 / 1600 / 3200 are exceedingly noisy
> SRGB only, Adobe RGB would have been nice
> You'll definitely need the bayonet fit WA attachment if you're into landscapes that 38-200 equiv zoom really won't be wide enough for you.
> The camera view mode syncs oddly with flourescent strip lighting, causing the subject to pulse gently on screen

> Great build quality, all alloy frame
> Oodles of preset scene options selectable via SCN on the dial
> Really pleased with the 1cm Macro results!
> Image stabiliser works a treat, you'd be amazed at the shutter speeds you can get away with
> minimum aperture of f8 is in practice not that bad for distance, seems compacts are a different kettle of fish from 35mm so f22 etc doesn't really compare
> 2nd curtain option on the flash works with my speedlights, hurrah!

I'm pleased with it, feels nice to use with it's classic styling, a well thought out interface and great for fairly well lit conditions, not good in very murky ones though.

The daylight daddy.
Sus 11 3.2k 9 England
19 Sep 2007 12:32AM
It seems as though high ISOs are a failing in many of these compact cameras. They promise the earth... then don't quite deliver. Is that the high pixel count or the small sensor size to blame I wonder?

Still looks like a good buy,
Little Jo Plus
14 2.3k United Kingdom
19 Sep 2007 11:38AM
Has anyone come across any reviews on the G9 yet? Nothing on dpreview yet.

Carabosse Plus
12 39.9k 269 England
19 Sep 2007 12:21PM
There are some less than flattering comments here !
Little Jo Plus
14 2.3k United Kingdom
19 Sep 2007 1:20PM
The reviews on CNET aren't that bad - the first manufacturer, be it Canon, Nikon or someone else who made a really good digital compact without some of these drawbacks are going to make a fortune. I'd rather have fewer noddy modes and have a better lens/image quality instead.

In some ways, enthusiast photographers who don't need special modes are being short-changed.

scapegoat 8 7
20 Sep 2007 9:59PM

Quote:Has anyone come across any reviews on the G9 yet? Nothing on dpreview yet.

There's quite a good review here

Little Jo Plus
14 2.3k United Kingdom
20 Sep 2007 10:24PM
Thanks for that! Still not sure whether it will drive me nuts or not. My G3 did after I'd used a digital EOS. When I was using it alongside film cameras, it didn't feel quite so bad.

I'd still like to see an advanced compact without the noddy modes altogether.

samfurlong 9 2.5k United Kingdom
20 Sep 2007 10:29PM
I still have a canon powershotS69 for my hols when I leave my SLR gear at home, I do on occasion wish I had the nice kit but generally I can't complain, the powershot is great.
rossd 12 1.1k England
21 Sep 2007 8:13PM

Quote:small sensor size to blame I wonder?

According to the tech details on the Canon site, the G9 has a 'large' (their words) 1" x 1.7" sensor (approx. 25mm X 41mm ) - this is bigger than a full frame sensor !

(Unless I've read it wrong)
Paul Morgan Plus
14 17.4k 6 England
21 Sep 2007 8:24PM

Quote:Unless I've read it wrong

I believe you have Smile

There are other powershots with even larger sensors.
Blenkinsopp 9 320 4 England
21 Sep 2007 8:59PM
Got the G9 last Tuesday and am quite pleased with it so far but haven't had much time to use it. Unfortunately I am waiting for a replacement for the faulty 2Gb SD card in the bundle so I'm using the tiny card included in "box contents"
One problem I have is with RAW conversion as its not supported by the popular programs/plug ins yet.
Any suggestions ?
Low ISO jpegs show good colour and detail and I'm very pleased with the manual controls - its the only compact that I have managed to manually focus well. IS seems to be very effective too as I am really bad at holding a camera still but have managed some sharp captures at relatively slow shutter speeds
scapegoat 8 7
21 Sep 2007 10:07PM

Quote:Quote:small sensor size to blame I wonder?According to the tech details on the Canon site, the G9 has a 'large' (their words) 1" x 1.7" sensor (approx. 25mm X 41mm ) - this is bigger than a full frame sensor !

(Unless I've read it wrong)

I think its actually a tiny 7.60mm x 5.70mm
How they fit 12million pixels on one sensor that size and wire them all together I don't know.
Mine arrives tomorrow. Can't wait.
scapegoat 8 7
23 Sep 2007 11:59PM
Just posted some G9 pics atlink removed by epz - sorry against site T&Cs - please feel free to use the gallery Wink

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.