GB Sports Photographer & The Panasonic LUMIX S1

Canon Gx1 ii

17 Sep 2016 2:17PM
anyone using this camera ?? what is your opinion of it ?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mondmagu 9 75 Ireland
17 Sep 2016 9:01PM
Have mine about a year now and use it as a walk around when on short trips away. It's not perfect but it does what I need it to do. It shoots RAW, the colour saturation is lovely and the sharpness even in JPG straight out of camera is superb. For landscape, portraiture and a walk around it is perfect for me. But hopeless at macro.
Really depends what you want it to do.
Steve-T 12 56 66 England
17 Sep 2016 11:23PM
I use the G1x mk II as a general purpose camera whilst out walking although it is too big to be a pocket camera. I find that is it does what you would expect it to do with a decent quality output. The sensor size is a step up from the G range (I previously used a G12 which I thought was a great camera of its kind). The 24-120mm equivalent lens is ideal for most subjects. With a minimum focus distance of 5cm I find it ok for close up work. The main criticism when working close is selecting a focus point even when using the touch screen facility - I can't get on with the manual focus either ( I have a work around which I am happy to share if required). I like the fact that I can use the camera in manual mode which is consistent with how I use my main DSLR camera. I have also been impressed with the in-camera natural HDR feature when I have used it - good for bright conditions. I could go on a bit but as mondmagu says - it really depends on what you want the camera to do.....or what you are comparing it against
Vinca 2 1
18 Dec 2016 10:59AM
I use a Gx1 mark 11 as a camera to have with me on walks of between 5 and 12 miles in the countryside and have had it for about 2 years.(Since 2014). This was to an alternative to my 5D mark 2 (now 3) which was proving to be too cumbersome and heavy for the limited time to take pictures while seriously walking often with others)> in addition I suppose I had already collected thousands of images of countryside.

OK its lighter, and easier to stow/less important when the weather starts being awful, which it does frequently. The controls are similar in functionality to the Canon range. The manual is poor and the options extensive. It does not help to have two cameras when trying to remember unusual settings. I dare say I could do with more practice using its capabilities.

However, I must say I was disappointed immediately with the Gx mark 11. First I often could see virtually nothing on the screen in sunlight and found I needed to spend a couple of hundred pounds on a viewfinder. Stepping down in quality was a mistake even though I was assured by Canon representatives the lack of pixels was offset by them being better quality Canon pixels because of the sensor quality. I now doubt this and am looking for a higher quality but light "walking" camera option. I am wandering if there a camera out there that would as light but better. I also find the top controls easily slip in transit. I guess compromise is difficult!
themak 6 1.0k Scotland
18 Dec 2016 4:12PM
The Fuji X-e2s with 18-55 would fit the bill - not as compact but still quite light and great IQ (also very good evf).

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.