Save 69% on inPixio Photo Studio 11 Ultimate (discount applied at checkout)

Canon in a muddle ??

pulsar69 17 1.6k 6 United Kingdom
23 Jun 2010 10:15PM
From the prospective of a professional photographer using 5d , 5d2 etc and looking to add a third body for an assistant , the range of canon bodies is confusing and seems all over the place.

It used to be that XD, ( ie 1D, 5D , 7D ) were the top models
XXD , 40,50 etc , advanced models
XXXD, amateur models
XXXXD beginner models

then along comes the 550D , which appears to better the 7D at most aspects and in nearly all reviews I have read at nearly half the price ??? and a new 5d to compete with the nikon d700 round the corner ? well the 5D2 is the competitor of the 700 , same camera different camps ...

what is going on ...

anwers on a postcard ... lol
Coleslaw 15 13.4k 28 Wales
23 Jun 2010 10:18PM
550D better than 7D?
Really?!
Snapper 16 4.5k 3 United States Outlying Islands
23 Jun 2010 10:23PM

Quote:XXXD, amateur models

I'm tempted to make a comment, but perhaps better not! Wink
23 Jun 2010 10:23PM
well the iso tests i have seen put them on a very close footing and the sensors are almost the same , the fact the 7d has two processors gives it an edge on fps , which tbh is of no interest to me as my brides dont run that fast Smile , the 550 has a less weather proofed body and is more plastic ? but we take care of our kit and even the old plastic 400s etc are still going strong , and the 550d has better video options than the 7d too ... so go figure ? , would love someone with experience of both to tell me whats going on , before i just go and buy a 550D it sounds like a bargain
23 Jun 2010 10:24PM
sorry snapper just trying to categories there target markets not the users lol Smile, or maybe it depends which magazine youre reading right now how youre thinking ?
justin c 17 5.1k 36 England
23 Jun 2010 10:27PM
Are you sure it's Canon that's in a muddle. I think it could be you Smile
Not sure why you think the 550D is better than the 7D, it isn't.
Nor is 5D or a 7D a top model, that's the IDs series.
23 Jun 2010 10:51PM
Im quite aware of which are the top models justin , and your opinion that the 7d just is better is not backed up by the dozens of reviews i am reading therefore is pretty misinformed and narrow minded unless you have some experience of the two you would like to add to the pot ? 'I' do not think the 550D is better but certainly others are saying so , I would expect this from a newer camera from canon , but then why confuse matters by naming it XXXD , it seems the only advantage the 7D has is speed ( not always necessary ) and the magnesium body , is that really worth 500 + more ??
Overread 12 4.1k 19 England
23 Jun 2010 11:37PM
Which specific reviews are you referring to which are putting the 550D above the 7D? I can assure you canon are very hot on making their lower teir camera bodies lesser than their upper tier ones so I am sure there must be some areas where the 7D is outperforming the 550D and some reviewers over exagerating some points on the 550D
strawman 17 22.2k 16 United Kingdom
23 Jun 2010 11:38PM
My view for what its worth. The X00D models have often offered similar if not identical image quality as the next model up the range. And I remember all the rage when the 450D came out with 12mp and the 40D had 10mp. So its not new.

But if you say image quality is about the same, what else marks a camera out. well you get to ergonomics, the lack of 2nd wheel is a big disadvantage of the 550D. Then you handle it. Now it depends on the person, but ever since the 300D, the XX0D range have become smaller and that spoils the handling and comfort in use for me. Then you hit the items you mention like sealing and body materials. And lets not forget the differences in frame rate and AF system, for some the speed issues are important.

Then if you delve under the skin you tend to find the more expensive cameras have longer life mechanisms, often twice as long. So if you use it a lot its worth having.

I would say the price difference is justified. Which one is best for you??? There is a case for buying either.
cambirder 17 7.2k England
24 Jun 2010 12:42AM

Quote:it seems the only advantage the 7D has is speed ( not always necessary ) and the magnesium body , is that really worth 500 + more ??

There are a few more than that although you may not actually need them. First off AF is vastly superior and its the 1st Camera I've owned that (coupled with a 100mm f2.8L macro) I'm happy to shoot macro in AF (servo) most of the time. Build quality should deliver greater longevity as well. The controls are better especially if you shoot in manual mode a lot or you are used to using 5D's. The 550D also uses SD cards which is a pain if all your other bodies use CF cards. The 550D also lacks the lens micro adjustment feature so you might not get the best focus possible from your lenses, and I would swap those 3 custom modes for the 550's beginner modes every time.

I'm not sure about weddings but for wildlife and sport the 7D wins hands down.
cambirder 17 7.2k England
24 Jun 2010 1:05AM
I forgot the 7D's superior viewfinder.
Overread 12 4.1k 19 England
24 Jun 2010 2:05AM
I know I should have put this on ignore - now I want a 7D again! Tongue
24 Jun 2010 8:28AM

Quote:Well the iso tests i have seen put them on a very close footing and the sensors are almost the same , the fact the 7d has two processors gives it an edge on fps , which tbh is of no interest to me as my brides dont run that fast Smile , the 550 has a less weather proofed body and is more plastic ? but we take care of our kit and even the old plastic 400s etc are still going strong , and the 550d has better video options than the 7d too ... so go figure ? , would love someone with experience of both to tell me whats going on , before i just go and buy a 550D it sounds like a bargain

I think what you are saying is that 550D is a better camera....for what you do, compared to 7D.
But that has nothing to do with 'Canon in a muddle', as each camera is catered for different people.
mohikan22 Plus
17 2.3k 2 United Kingdom
24 Jun 2010 9:11AM
i have the 550D and it is VERY good .from reviews (on EPZ and other forums) it is a 7d without the weather proofing/size and fps. they are "essentially" the same.
24 Jun 2010 9:18AM

Quote:they are "essentially" the same.

A bit like saying Danny Devito and Arnold are essentially the same person, without the body etc.... LOL

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.