Amazon Music Unlimited Offer: 3-Months For FREE!

Canon in a muddle ??

mohikan22 Plus
17 2.3k 2 United Kingdom
24 Jun 2010 9:24AM
well yes but i did add.....it is a 7d without the weather proofing/size and fps before hand Grin, but yes now i RE-read it lol.....DOH
strawman 17 22.2k 16 United Kingdom
24 Jun 2010 9:30AM
And do not forget the 7D having a longer service life and better viewfinder plus the extra wheel and depending on the size of your hands a better grip and lens micro adjustment and tunable AF performance. The cameras are good, but when you look into it the 7D justified its price IMHO. But which is best for you, well that is a different question.
pulsar69 17 1.6k 6 United Kingdom
24 Jun 2010 9:53AM
OK some great points and thanks for all the input ,

The build quality issue - I have no quarms that the 7d is superior , but then I also know people who have 350d's that have hammered them and they are still fine ? so is build quality all its cracked up to be when two bodies could be bought for that same price ?

FPS - as stated I have never had a need for fast fps , not particularly into sports or wildlife so thats not an issue for me

The placement of buttons dials etc however is because i need my assistants to be able to handle and maneouvre through it as easily as poss, so thats a good point

AF is vastly superior ??? is it , any proof of this ?

Take a look at this review and tell me what you think , it may be biased , or may be the truth ???

http://www.digitalrev.com/en/canon-eos-550d-vs-dot-7d-c-which-one-is-right-for-you-5244-article
roxpix 17 2.2k 11 Scotland
24 Jun 2010 10:36AM
Just a pedantic point but the 550d may infact have a better/higher 'build quality' than the 7d, only those ppl with access to the build specs for each will be able to determine this

So comparing build quality is fruitless unless we suspect that Canon have a build spec and then fail to meet it on these models. Even comparing materials etc is user specific, so as indicated on the thread already it'll simply be features/benefits of the complete product that determines which to purchase
Overread 12 4.1k 19 England
24 Jun 2010 10:50AM
Something is wrong with that review, the ISO 400 shot from the 7D looks to be missfocused at the very least and there is some exposure differences with the 55D ISO shots when you compared them to the 7D which all appear to be the same exposure.
It also appears to be simply showing that, in decent conditions with good settings (all the other shots are at f8 with low ISO - barring the last at f2.8) both cameras can devilver similar results - something that most of us won't find to surprising.
Mike Gray 16 382 United Kingdom
24 Jun 2010 11:08AM
Looking at your work Andrew and the pricing you charge, i cant see why you are not going straight for the 7D, you wont regreat it. Just shot my last 2 weddings with mine and believe me its awesome with how fast it locks on to and focuses, the noise levels are brill too. Build quailty is much better than the 550D. Get the 7D, you know with the line of your work its your only choice.
Just my points.
pogbellies 10 6 United Kingdom
24 Jun 2010 5:56PM
Having used both, I know that I greatly prefer the 7D. The viewfinder and handling make a huge difference as does the AF speed. The 550D is a bargain, relatively speaking but I think I would go as far as to say I would probably get a 50D in preference to it. The only two areas in which the 550D improves on the 7D are one more video mode and the LCD screen ratio (not the LCD itself.) If you have tiny hands you might well prefer the 550Ds handling though.
sujekaa 10 3
26 Jun 2010 1:08PM
hello,

i am not agree with you. cannon is not a muddle. it is really a good camera . i hope it will help you.

Thanks !!

Camera Charger
Phil1958 12 272 4 Wales
27 Jun 2010 2:19PM
Not had experience of the 7D and I'm sure weather proofing etc is something of an advantage - I recently owned a 5Dmk 1 but sold it towards my next purchase of the mark2. I have a 550D which has been likened to a baby 7D but at a fraction of the cost, the IQ is superb - I only use L glass on it and the ISO is really good up to about 800 when some negligible noise creeps in after that. I can only compare the 550 with my 50D and have to say that I use my 550 as my main camera and the 50 as a backup - I was told that to get the best out of the 550 you have to use L glass but not so important on the 50D although I hope to purchase another L lens when funds allow, I presently use a Tamrom 18-270 on the 50D and to date am very impressed with the IQ of that lens and the fps were definitely an advantage recently when shooting over 150 Red Kites on a recent trip to a Mid Wales Red Kite feeding centre.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.