Save 15% On Excire Foto Software With Code: EXCIRE-EP

Canon Lenses,

Do lenses need a service, as these lenses have Stabiliser and Auto Focus and motor's do they need to be serviced. As I feel my focusing on my 70-200 mm f4.5 IS USB struggles at times.
mikehit 12 8.0k 13 United Kingdom
27 Apr 2015 1:33PM
Do you mean the 70-200 f4LIS USM?
I am not sure they need to serviced at any particular intervals but if you are concerned about a drop in performance that would to me be a good sign to get it done.
Yes, thanks I was just wondering if at some time it would be needing a service.
User_Removed 6 1.0k United Kingdom
27 Apr 2015 1:55PM
In the hands of amateurs (no disrespect) lenses will rarely ever need servicing, look on ebay and see lenses 30+ years old still fie

It depends on the environment, eg dusty etc
Thanks, JR1 at least it puts my mind at rest and my wallet.
LenShepherd 13 4.4k United Kingdom
27 Apr 2015 8:55PM
Nikon suggest it is wise to have kit serviced every 2 years, or more frequently if heavily used.
As you are not happy about the performance of one of your used lenses a service seems a good starting point.
Graywolf 14 1.0k United Kingdom
4 May 2015 3:28PM
I have had two lenses fail on me. My 24-105mm and my 400mm. Both see a lot of use.
In both cases I contacted Lehmann's giving them a description of the fault. In both cases they said that the faults would be covered by a standard service. Now you might think "well perhaps it would have been cheaper to repair it without a service". I thought about this and decided, on no basis at all except logic, that to repair the lens would probably in most cases require it to be stripped down, which is what they would do for a service so I was probably no worse off. Cost 220, lens back in perfect working order. I'm not sure I would spend 220 every two years on ALL my lenses. I'll just wait until there's an actual problem. I've had both lenses for about 7 years. To service them every two years would have cost 1320. To have two repairs cost 440. That's a no-brainer as far as I'm concerned.
Thanks Graywolf I thought I was losing the plot as sometimes it works fine then other times it struggles to focus.
amys23317 6 1
4 May 2015 5:50PM
It's always advisable to have lens kit serviced regularly at an interval of 1.5-2 years. As any good Camera Store will elaborate, keeping camera lenses in good shape means you can extract much more from your DSLR cameras.
thewilliam 13 6.1k
4 May 2015 7:04PM
In many cases, it costs more to service a lens that it would fetch on Fleabay.

A few weeks back, one of my 50mm f1.4 manual-focus Nikon lenses needed a real good clean and service because there was oil on the iris blades. I've seen the Fleabay hammer-price in the region of what it cost me but I know my lens will serve me well for a good few years.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.