50% Off Portrait Pro + An Extra 15% For EPZ Members With Code: EPZ421

Canon low light AF assist question

brian1208 17 11.8k 12 United Kingdom
24 Feb 2004 8:15PM
Dom - you can set the Sigma dg 500 super to ttl in the same way that you describe for the 500ex (but using the gun to set ttl, as Paul said, no custom option 3 on the 300D ).

Paul - why can't you use rechargeables in the 550ex? I am in the sigma (so far without ill effect)

Brian
domh 17 17
24 Feb 2004 9:41PM
Paul - I've got the 300d, the custom function 3 I was on about was a setting on the 550ex itself and not the camera, sorry for any confusion. I'd have liked a 10D, a sturdier camera for bumping into folk in clubs with not to mentuon the custom features, but the cash was the deciding factor.

Brian - I'll check out the Sigma against the Canon, will take the camera in and have a play with the settings in the shop with both before I buy.
deviant 17 3.1k 1 United Kingdom
24 Feb 2004 11:45PM
What do people mean can't use rechargables with 550ex. You can. I do.
park my ferret 17 1.0k United Kingdom
24 Feb 2004 11:47PM
Ahh, when you say custom function on the 550 do you mean the mode button?

LOL, thats why I got my 300d so I didn't have to keep taking the 10D into clubs!!

where do you do club shots?

Rechargeables - I suppose you can, it's just the metz I bought comes with them as standard
craigdonnelly 19 260 England
26 Feb 2004 9:25AM
I'm just gonna add my 10pence worth to this. If you are shooting gigs and using the lowlight AF assist then expect a frosty reception from pro musicians - they hate it. You can get away with it with little bands who dont know whats going on, but the pro bands absolutely hate it. Its like having a bright light shined directly in your eyes - its not nice! I've put your question to a bunch of pro gig photographers and they all say the same - dont use it. If the camera wont autofocus - switch to manual.
As for the comment of using a lazer pointer - would you really like someone shining one of those in your eyes (assuming that would be your point of focus)? I certainly wouldnt! And if i was the performer in question with it being shined in my face - i'd be looking to throw something at you - or kick you in the face! You gotta remember that bigger stages are at a nice height for band members to swing a leg at photographers. I've been missed a few times - just - but always by accident! Be warned!
domh 17 17
27 Feb 2004 7:01PM
I'll remember that one if I ever do gig work :o. *visions of flying kicks from the darkness - yikes!*

Good point though, the laser pointer works well on objects but I dare say the subjects don't work well with the pointer. I only really need the AF beam when taking quick shots in the crowd, if in one place I can sort out MF presets.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.