Affinity Photo - professional photo editing with 50% off!

Canon M50 Dead?

4 Oct 2019 4:44PM
Hi, I have a canon m50 which has turned into a brick (or doorstop), it will not power up.
I’ve tried all the “fixes”on Google, battery change, lens change, card out, etc, it was working fine, no problems, put it away then an hour later switched it on and nothing!
Canon recommends that I take it to “authorised dealer” but returning it for repair will cost approx. £300, for a camera body new it's £500, only had the camera for 14months but out of warranty.
Anyone help?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Snapper Plus
14 4.4k 3 Scotland
4 Oct 2019 5:44PM
I'm afraid I don't know the M50, but was wondering if the weather was damp when you were last using it? Generally speaking, it's worthwhile taking out the battery and card and putting the camera in a warm dry place overnight, just in case some moisture got into it, plus it's easy and costs nothing. If there's still no sign of life, I'm wondering if you have a different battery you could try in case it has gone dead suddenly?

Failing that, I'd be tempted to phone AJ Johnstone in Glasgow on Monday when they re-open, as they say they don't charge for estimates. Fingers crossed that some of this works out for you!
4 Oct 2019 8:13PM
Thanks for your advice (any and all welcome) I was at home inside when I was last using the camera, tried 3 different fully charged batteries, 4 different SD cards. I left the camera without battery or card overnight last night (been there before with a previous camera) but still no power up today. I'll probably phone AJ Johnstone on Monday and take it from there.
Thanks again.
Fma7 4 985 United Kingdom
4 Oct 2019 8:45PM
If you've had it from new for 14 months then you should have a look at the sale of goods act, a camera should last longer than that no matter what the warranty is.

If you bought it by credit card you can possibly claim against them too.
7 Oct 2019 9:06PM
I contacted the retailers about the M50 I purchased from them last year, they confirmed ONE year warranty and that it had expired. They advised me to get in contact with their “Out of Warranty” department, but it’s still going to cost me hundreds to get it fixed.
I also got a quote from another independent camera repair service who quoted me almost £300 to replace the motherboard of the camera (that’s what Canon would do anyway)
What ever happened to “repair” not just throw-away! Replace one faulty component on the motherboard. Has diagnostic equipment not been invented for cameras and the like, or am I living in the past!
I still have a brick for a 14 month old camera, I cannot afford the £££££££ to get it fixed, I’m disabled and on benefits (both of which I dislike intensely). My photography is like a therapy for me, I’m able to forget about my circumstances for a short while, whether it is actually taking photos or “developing” them on my PC.
Sorry, rant over.
8 Oct 2019 11:30PM

Quote:If you've had it from new for 14 months then you should have a look at the sale of goods act, a camera should last longer than that no matter what the warranty is.

I’d agree, this avenue is surely worth exploring first..

Of course a retailer is going to try discouraging you...

Fault finding components on motherboards..? some of them are so tiny you’d need a magnifying glass to see...and even if diagnostic equipment could find it, the time taken to locate it etc...in these sad times could cost more than just chucking the board away and replacing...

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.