Canon Mk III - video - WOW that's fast!

ecowarrior 13 577 England
27 Feb 2007 7:01PM
Video on YouTube

There are quite a lot of photography thingies on youtube, but this one shows you just how fast 10 frames per second is!

(probably still ain't quick enough to take photos of my kids mind you!)
ZenTog 18 7.9k 1 England
27 Feb 2007 7:38PM
its only 1.5 frames per sec faster than the mk2 though so not a huge leap unless you have a 5 frames per sec camera

the live view function is more impressive along with some of the new AF tweaks
Mark_Readman 15 922
27 Feb 2007 7:46PM

Quote:the live view function is more impressive

it would be if you could use Autofocus when live view was on !
of little use as it says in the spec paper, manual focus only in live view !
ZenTog 18 7.9k 1 England
27 Feb 2007 7:50PM
for product and landscape togs plus fashion it will be a god send, anyway the art of manual focusing is becoming lost
keithh 16 25.7k 33 Wallis And Futuna
27 Feb 2007 7:50PM
The idea of live view is to tweak the focus...zoomed in at 100% who needs auto focus?
ZenTog 18 7.9k 1 England
27 Feb 2007 7:52PM
be good for selective focus something that doesnt really work in auto focus very well
croberts 16 2.2k 8 Ireland
27 Feb 2007 7:54PM
does it let you zoom in 100% to the live preview, while its still live, or is it a shot you've just taken?

edit. cool, 5x or 10x live magnified view. That is useful, but as has been said, perhaps more so on the new 1Ds

edit again, Thanks Keith. was just reading the white paper. Sounds like a great innovation.
27 Feb 2007 8:01PM
100% zoom on Live View in real time and that transfers to the tethered view as well...real time 24" wide screen focusing - if you want to.
culturedcanvas 14 4.7k 59 United Kingdom
27 Feb 2007 8:05PM
Personally I think the camera is s**t hot. Thats just me.

Dan
Tutterzzz 13 160 United Kingdom
27 Feb 2007 8:12PM
thats rather offit
Mark_Readman 15 922
27 Feb 2007 8:38PM

Quote:For product and landscape togs plus fashion it will be a god send

It is a journalistic camera, hence the 10fps, live view without autofocus is wasted on this model and just a gimmick.

I agree with manual focus becoming lost, the first thing I did on my 1d and later the mkii was to replace the focus screen with a split prism version, it takes out any doubt whatsoever that what I intend is in focus, not only the prism, but the screen is a little more ground so out of focus really stands out, even in the dark.
27 Feb 2007 8:47PM
Out of interest when did the 1d become a journalistic camera?

It's in use by a whole host of photographers, in fact, if anything it might be considered a sports camera before being a journo, perhaps even an NH shooters choice as well. Having now talked to several Pro Sports shooters at Focus this week, they can't wait and some of them can't wait to get to the Live View focusing because it will fit right in with their pre-focused tripod mounted remote camera.
27 Feb 2007 8:55PM
Lets be honest - the camera is good enough to serve most purposes and is probably the second best DLSR currently available behind the 1Ds MK2 ..

Of course it's suited to sports - certainly with that type of frame rate but it's good enough to satisfy most 35mm uses.

Dan
onewildworld 18 696 4 United Kingdom
27 Feb 2007 8:55PM
Good to see all that info on live view is being put to good use Keith! Wink

For anyone not convinced about this camera, I've used it. In live view mode, with and without WiFi and with a range of lenses. Now, you'll probably call me biased, but Dan's comment about it being **** hot is an understatment. Take the time to read the white paper and then take some more time to understand what it means and some of the uses you could put that specification to use to.

Yes it's black, yes it says Canon and yes, the shutter button is in the same place - that's about as far as the similarities with previous cameras go. It really is a completely new beast.

Dave
27 Feb 2007 8:57PM
Dave

I'm in agreement ... and to such an extent that I'm going to place an order on it!

Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.