ADVERTISEMENT
Save & earn with MPB; trade-in and buy pre-loved

Canon or Sony?

brianaskew Avatar
brianaskew 10 3 United Kingdom
10 Dec 2018 8:58AM
Hello all,
As a long term Canon D5 II user, which should I buy for pocket convenience? Spec and value are paramount - it doesn't HAVE to be Canon. Don't want to lug a D5, big lens and battery grip around on long trips.

Sony Cybershot DXC-RX100 III
or
Canon Powershot G7 X II

All advice welcome
pink Avatar
pink Plus
20 7.4k 11 England
10 Dec 2018 10:17AM
If you are a long time Canon user you will find the menus on the Powershot very easy to navigate. I tried a Sony but hated the menus etc so sold it and bought a G1X mark 2.
The menus on the Powershot are very similar to your Canon DSLR
seahawk Avatar
seahawk 16 1.4k United Kingdom
10 Dec 2018 10:59AM
Most makes deliver good IQ nowadays and it usually comes down to the ergonomics. Personally I think Panasonic make the best pocket cameras in that regard. I've tried various makes but the Pannys blew them away. Menus are very easy to understand too. The Powershot G7 is a good camera but I wouldn't dismiss the Panny Lumix range when you go shopping.
pink Avatar
pink Plus
20 7.4k 11 England
10 Dec 2018 11:22AM
I like the Panasonics but find the buttons too small for my sausage fingers!!
brianaskew Avatar
10 Dec 2018 12:26PM
Thanks for this. Which Panasonic should I consider?
SlowSong Avatar
SlowSong Plus
15 11.1k 30 England
10 Dec 2018 1:52PM
Have a look at this one.
joshwa Avatar
joshwa Plus
13 927 1 United Kingdom
10 Dec 2018 1:58PM

Quote:If you are a long time Canon user you will find the menus on the Powershot very easy to navigate. I tried a Sony but hated the menus etc so sold it and bought a G1X mark 2.
The menus on the Powershot are very similar to your Canon DSLR

If you go for a Canon, you'll also find the exposure, colour reproduction, and (generally speaking) the image / JPEG processing will be something you're familiar with, coming from a Canon DSLR.

We've reviewed them all here:
https://www.ephotozine.com/reviews/compact-cameras-31
KevinEllison Avatar
10 Dec 2018 7:23PM
whilst admitting those Panasonics look good, just have a quick look at Sony A6000 or A6300..

An APS-C sensor and interchangeable lenses... bung a 35mm lens on for general travel, (or a mid-range zoom..) and have the flexibility to mess with other lenses at other times..
Paul Morgan Avatar
Paul Morgan 22 19.9k 6 England
10 Dec 2018 8:02PM

Quote:Hello all,
As a long term Canon D5 II user, which should I buy for pocket convenience? Spec and value are paramount - it doesn't HAVE to be Canon. Don't want to lug a D5, big lens and battery grip around on long trips.

Sony Cybershot DXC-RX100 III
or
Canon Powershot G7 X II

All advice welcome

You do realise that these things are a little big for pocket convenience.

Personally I`d get yourself a Sony or Fuji Mirrorless body and pair this with a small lens, either a compact zoom or compact prime (these things are no bigger than a decent high end compact and pack in more advantages and often at a much lower cost.

I recently picked up this Fuji, was looking for something to replace my ageing Fuji x10, this new thing is about the same size as both my x10 and old GF2`s, certainly no bigger and paired it with a fast f1.2 35mm.

599_1544472110.jpg

Shop around, look at the deals.
brianaskew Avatar
11 Dec 2018 5:58PM
Thanks all,
Back to the Canon. My mate is a long term Nikon DSLR user and has recently bought the the Canon and he loves it!. This is a surprise! Does anyone out there find the absence of a hot shoe a real problem? I am less concerned about the missing view finder.
Cheers
pink Avatar
pink Plus
20 7.4k 11 England
12 Dec 2018 7:21AM
The presence of a hot shoe was why I went for a G1X, the mark 111 has an APS-c size sensor as well.
I find it very easy to use and the results are superb, after all its image quality we desire.
I think whatever you choose you will be happy with as there are not many bad cameras out there these days.
georgehopkins Avatar
georgehopkins 15 113 England
12 Dec 2018 9:44AM
I've looked at all the brands, being a Canon DSLR user I wanted to try a different brand of compact camera but when it comes to Image Quality-Sensor/Lens Combo-Ergonomics-Menu System I always ended up looking at the Canon G1x.
The nearest non Canon was the Sony RX but its far too small and fiddly for my large hands.

However if you look at Image Quality on its own all the premier well known brand compacts will provide excellent results.
Chris_L Avatar
Chris_L 9 5.5k United Kingdom
12 Dec 2018 11:18AM
Hard to find fault and am tempted myself Grin when looking at real people's reviews like these
mayuonslp Avatar
mayuonslp 4 1
13 Dec 2018 8:19PM
ccanon surely has better continuous autofocus tracking for video. All you do when the 5D Mark IV is in live view mode is tap on your subject on the back of the LCD preview screen and you’re done. It then tracks the subject wherever it goes within the frame. astounding when paired with photo manipulation. look at this one from amazon
Sony has various autofocus tracking modes too; face recognition tracking, continuous eye autofocus tracking, center lock autofocus, etc. But none of them are as easy to enable as Canon’s focus tracking. Sony also uses a combination of phase detection autofocus (PDAF) and contrast detection autofocus (CDAF), which works well,
brianaskew Avatar
14 Dec 2018 4:52PM
Hi all, been talking to relative who researches everything thoroughly. He suggested a mirrorless compact body which would take some of my old (but very fast) FD lenses - I've got a 50mmm 1.2 and a big telephoto somewhere in my old bag. what do you all think ?If it seems a good idea which body to go for?

Login

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join for free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.