Affinity Photo - professional photo editing with 50% off!

Canon pixma pro 9500mk2 and compatible inks

17 Feb 2011 12:02PM
Has anyone used compatible cartridges with this printer? If so which did you try and how were the results. While I love the printer, the running costs are ridiculous. The head cleaning routine alone seems to go through a lot of ink! Any help much appreciated.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ckristoff 15 994 Wales
17 Feb 2011 5:36PM
Hi Geordiesnapper,

the printer I have is a Canon i9950. It's several years old and I've performed head cleaning on 1 occasion, with valuable help from our EPZ members.

Your printer sounds like a better machine than mine, so I would be extremely wary of using compatible ink, however cheap it may be. If your printer developed a fault by using inferior inks, how much would it cost to replace your printer?

Have you tried shopping around online for the best price for your ink? I usually get mine from 7dayshop, who are quite reasonable.

Please don't think I'm being critical of your routine. I think you should try and look after your running costs in a better way.

Frank.
17 Feb 2011 8:51PM
Have used 7dayshop for stuff before but they are not cheap for my printer. Cheapest I can find is about 9 pounds pet cartridge so we're talking best part of 100 notes to completely refill the printer. I think that is really expensive. If I'd realised how expensive to run the Canon was I'd have gone for an Epson and a continuous ink system. You can't avoid the printer cleaning the heads so it warns you you need to replace a colour, you do so. It cleans the heads and now tells you another colour is now empty and so on. I'm really disappointed and think running costs for an A3+ printer like this need to be much more affordable. I can see me selling it and getting an Epson.
Dave_Canon 13 1.6k United Kingdom
18 Feb 2011 5:43PM
In my view it is probably only worth home printing if you want the highest quality prints but it will cost. To print near A3 size on my Epson R2880 costs about £3.50 each print for ink/paper and amortising the cost of the printer over 5 years. A commercial professional printer would charge about £1.25 plus postage. The real advantage is for monochrome where I have not found anything better than the R2880. You can also use a greater variety of papers at home including art paper. For some of my glossy colour prints I do have them printed at ProAm to save money but generally accept that this is an expensive hobby. If you use compatible inks you will not achieve the very best quality so might just as well use a commercial printer. I do not think that Epson is generally cheaper than Canon and using a continuous ink system may only save if you print large quantities.

Dave
danbrann 15 640 17
18 Feb 2011 7:29PM
I have the Canon Pro 9000 and now use Canon genuine inks and yes if you renew a full set it costs£100 however I get away with replacing about three at a time.

I was using Jet tec compatibles but I was often getting a cartridge that wouldn't work and it was costing me a fortune in paper as I was trying to produce exhibition prints. I have never wasted a sheet of paper since changing to Canon inks but do agree that nothing is cheap about printing and Pro am is a very good alternative.
Danny
18 Feb 2011 11:49PM
Thanks folks. Looks like I'll just have to sell my granny then. Might try the commercial print route though.
ckristoff 15 994 Wales
19 Feb 2011 9:59AM
Hello Friends,

like danbrann, I replace my Canon inks on a need to basis. As soon as I put a new cartridge in, I shall purchase a replacement. On occasions where there are savings to be made, I shall buy 2 or 3 catridges of each colour needing to be replaced.

I've always got cartridges in stock. Admittedly they don't last long, but I choose not to worry about it. In my opinion, compared to what I paid for my printer, the price of cartridges is reasonable. Use Google to find the best price you can. I've even bought through Amazon on occasion.

Frank.
Chant57 Plus
13 395 3 United Kingdom
19 Feb 2011 10:34AM
I have the Canon Pro 9500 MkII and use Canon inks. Had the printer almost a year ( bought it at Focus on Imaging ). Have replaced a couple of the cartridges in that time, and have done a fair bit of printing with it. Yes inks are pricey, but the quality is worth it, using quality paper, canon inks and using colour profiles the results are superb. If possible I tend to buy my paper at Focus on Imaging ( there are usually some good deals) so I figure its swings and roundabouts, what I save on paper helps with the costs of ink.

Chant
ckristoff 15 994 Wales
19 Feb 2011 6:49PM
I'm in the process of dealing with Fotospeed. If I buy their own quality paper, they will provide a free icc printer profile. If I wanted to use original Canon paper, they would charge £20 for doing a printer profile.

Since I'm not at the stage of being confident enough to show or sell any of my work, I shall try their own papers first.

Frank.
VSS 10 16 United Kingdom
1 Mar 2011 6:05PM

Quote:I have the Canon Pro 9000 and now use Canon genuine inks and yes if you renew a full set it costs£100 however I get away with replacing about three at a time...Danny

I too have the Pixma Pro 9000 Mkii. A full set from www.choicestationery.co.uk works out at £87.20 inc p&p. However, one you are on their mailing list you will get regular offers for 5%, 10% or even 15% discount. The last set from them cost about £68.

Like 7dayshop they are in the Channel Isles, so delivery can take a few days.
NEWMANP 11 1.6k 574 United Kingdom
2 Mar 2011 12:52PM
hi,
i have always used Canon inks with my printer together with a custom profile for ilford galerie.

i ran out of ink recently and fitted some compatibles for converience. the mono print i had to get done was critical and the final print was unusable due to a heavy magenta caste.

ironically on colour prints it was quite acceptable.

Phil
Trev_B 12 151 68 England
4 Mar 2011 9:48PM
Hi,

I had a Pro 9500 mk1 until a couple of months ago and sold it due to the unacceptable cost of ink, PGI9 inks were £9.85 from 7day shop, I have just looked at my 7DS account and I had spent £600 on ink let alone the £550 to buy the printer originally. As far as I am aware no company in the UK produce compatible PGI9 cartridges so you are stuck with Canon however good they are.

I sold the printer for £75 and put the money toward a Kodak ESP720, agreed it is not as good as the Canon and cannot print true mono prints or CD's, but for every day printing it's fine and cost less than £20 to fill. Photobox produce good prints and are cheaper than the Canon.

Trev
Tandberg 16 1.2k 2 England
4 Mar 2011 9:56PM
I gave up on printing at home on A3 printers as its not cost effective, i just use proam in bradford real good quality and unbeatable prices
I just use my canon IP5000 for test prints or if i need quick prints to A4 or just printing text
Cost is just to high for A3 prining at home

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.