Save 69% on inPixio Photo Studio 11 Ultimate (discount applied at checkout)

Canon printers - black and white printing - help please

tezza 17 569 United Kingdom
5 Mar 2004 4:45PM
Thanx for that Anne / Flossie.

I await your verdict with baited breath... Not sure I'll be able to sleep much tonight awating your next reply.

Read loads of reviews and it seems to be an excellent printer alround and maybe it's just a case of trying it for myself.

Terry
flossie 18 1.6k
5 Mar 2004 10:14PM
I just printed an A4 of my Joe portrait and although it's quite bright and light the colours seems very good. Hard to tell under electric lights, and there may be a very slight pinkish tinge but I'm very pleased with it. I'd be happy to send it to you in the post for a look Terry if you're not in too much of a hurry, or if you have a picture of yours you want to e-mail me I'll print it and post it to you.
shooter 19 105 Canada
6 Mar 2004 8:24AM
You can always cheat by refilling all the cartridges with black ink, but that is a long-term commitment, as it is impractical to change back and forth between Colour and B&W.
6 Mar 2004 11:17AM
Thanks for the offer Flossie.

Canon actually has a link on their site that allows you to testdrive a selection of printers by downloading a picture of your own to be printed out.

Only thing is, it says prints downloaded by 3pm will be printed and sent out the same day. I downloaded on Tuesday (it's now Saturday) and they haven't arrived. I'll give them the benefit of doubt and presume they are being sent out by 2nd class post before either trying again or taking you up on your offer.

Be interested in your comments on any b/w prints you do - presuming the one of Joe is in colour?

Also if you check the link I put in further up this forum, I think the review said the same - about the prints being slightly light. But this is usually down to screen and printer calibration so you have to adjust accordingly.

Terry
6 Mar 2004 11:18AM
Thanks for the offer Flossie.

Canon actually has a link on their site that allows you to testdrive a selection of printers by downloading a picture of your own to be printed out.

Only thing is, it says prints downloaded by 3pm will be printed and sent out the same day. I downloaded on Tuesday (it's now Saturday) and they haven't arrived. I'll give them the benefit of doubt and presume they are being sent out by 2nd class post before either trying again or taking you up on your offer.

Be interested in your comments on any b/w prints you do - presuming the one of Joe is in colour?

Also if you check the link I put in further up this forum, I think the review said the same - about the prints being slightly light. But this is usually down to screen and printer calibration so you may have to adjust your printer settings accordingly.

Terry
Phoenix 20 1.9k England
6 Mar 2004 11:48AM
According to many articles I've seen on Canon printers, when printing in B&W, the prints suffer an effect called "metamerism" where the inks give a different colour cast under different lighting conditions. For ezample a print that appears neutral under tungsten light will have a pronounced green cast in daylight. Likewise a print that is neutral in daylight will appear magenta under tungsten light
6 Mar 2004 12:04PM
I think this 'metamerism' is something that has affected all printers, to some extent, up until now Phoenix.

I think that was one of the things that Epson said their new 'pro' printers and their pigmented inks would avoid - which is especially important for people selling pictures. The last thing you want is for the customer to come back and say the print looks all yellow or blue etc under their own lights.

Terry
Phoenix 20 1.9k England
6 Mar 2004 5:40PM
Terry, I wouldn't disagree with that, but based upon the results I have seen from a friend's Canon S9000 it certainly exhibits metamerism to a far greater degree than my Epson 1200
12 Mar 2004 12:27PM
Well. I took the plunge and ordered the Canon i865 from Jessops, which arrived the next day. More than can be said for the test prints from the Canon site which have only just arrived but it turns out they have to come from Holland by 3rd class post...

First impressions are excellent.

The cartridges and other bits were easy to install and the software seems very easy to use with a good choice of options including manual override.

I've printed a couple of prints out without any adjustment and like Flossie say, they were a bit light for my liking but that was easily adjusted.

I've also printed some small black and whites prints which seem fine and contrary to all the forums and feedback that I'd read. The prints edge on the warm side but no colour casts as far as I can see. More tests to be done but more than happy at the moment.

I will be trying out different papers etc as time goes on so we shall see.

Terry

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.