Start your photography store - 30% off Picfair Plus!

Canon Profits

lemmy 12 2.8k United Kingdom
26 Apr 2019 7:32PM
I see Canon Imaging Unit have reported an 81.6% collapse in operating profit from the first quarter of 2018, with a 23% drop in camera sales over the same period. They say they are shifting focus from DSLR to mirrorless because DSLR sales, entry level specially, are dropping like a stone.

A sign of the times, I think. I'm struck by the number of professional friends of mine who are going over to mirrorless cameras, something only a year or two ago they would have dismissed entirely.

Sad in a way, really but as someone who started out using VN 9x12 cm plate cameras, through Rolleis to 35mm DSLR, medium format and now digital, I've seen a lot of change, invariably for the better overall, technically at least.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

lobsterboy Plus
15 14.9k 13 United Kingdom
26 Apr 2019 10:19PM

Quote: I'm struck by the number of professional friends of mine who are going over to mirrorless cameras, something only a year or two ago they would have dismissed entirely.

Similarly, I talk at a lot of camera clubs and constantly hear that people have got rid of their Nikons & Canon DSLRs for Olympus, Fuji and (less often) Sony. Mainly due to the size & weight of kit.
JJGEE 14 7.5k 18 England
27 Apr 2019 9:17AM
Mirrorless is tempting but for me, a non-professional, the cost is prohibitive just now Sad

In order to carry less weight I am restricting my gear to one perhaps two lenses per outing and, to be honest, I think my photography is improving with less lens options in the bag Smile

dark_lord Plus
15 2.3k 577 England
27 Apr 2019 9:39AM

Quote:I am restricting my gear to one perhaps two lenses per outing

A sure way towards improvement (a generl comment, no intended as a personal comment Smile).
Jestertheclown 10 7.9k 252 England
27 Apr 2019 11:58AM

I'm in line to collect an inheritance so I'm planning a pretty serious upgrade some time this year and possibly fairly soon. My plan is to keep whatever body I get for the foreseeable future; I don't mind aquiring/changing a few lenses but I'm scratching my head regarding the mirror situation.
I'm not concerned about the size or weight; I actually quite like the bulk of a DSLR, the appeal with mirrorless is their potential for the future.
I don't want to move away from Nikon, which means a "Z" but I feel that they're only just moving on from their embryonic stage and if I buy one, I'll wish, in a year or two, that I'd waited for them to mature.

Alternatively, I can clearly envisage a D850 with my name on it!

Dave_Canon 12 1.5k United Kingdom
27 Apr 2019 12:08PM
Two years ago I upgraded my FF DSLR and decided that Mirrorless was not for me at that time but did accept that it would be my last DSLR. Sometime in the next 2-3 years, I expect to buy a mirrorless system but not sure if I would want any of the current models. When I do buy one, I expect to use it for situations where I have to carry it any distance to save weight. However, for studio work, I would stick with the DSLR until I was confident there was no disadvantage in using the mirrorless. So I have accepted that this is the direction I will go but not just yet.

Dave

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.