Don't Miss Out On Great WEX Offers - Find Out More

Canon S95 and UHS-1

B_Real 14 126 United Kingdom
8 Aug 2011 9:16PM
Hi, anyone know if an S95 will make full use of the UHS-1 card class?

Brad

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed 16 3.3k 4 United Kingdom
8 Aug 2011 10:40PM
I've got an S95 and several SD cards, is there something I can do that would find out for you?
8 Aug 2011 11:04PM
Not sure to be honest. As far as I understand, SDHC cards come in different speed classes, as per this link.

I'm looking at the Sandisk Extreme Pro SDHC UHS-1 which reports to have a 45 MB/s transfer rate. What I'm not sure about is whether the S95 will transfer at 45 MB/s or will it only operate at as fast as the camera will allow (I read somewhere if the host is not UHS-1 then it will only operate at say 20 or 30 MB/s). If only 30 or lower, then may as well just get a cheaper card.

Also, I've read somewhere that the D700 is the only camera that is a UHS-1 host, but those reports were dated Jan 11 and things may have moved on since then (tho im not sure when the S95 came out).
9 Aug 2011 12:03AM
I've not had any problem shooting HD video at 25 fps to regular cards. It's a brilliant compact camera but I doubt it takes advantage of super fast cards in the same way a fast-shooting DSLR might.
ChrisV 13 2.3k 26 United Kingdom
9 Aug 2011 10:18AM
The only card I've ever had fail on me is a Sandisk - it was something in the region of 150 at the time [only a 4Gb Ultra CF card around four years ago]. I bought it on the morning of shooting a wedding. I lost about 30 shots -which fortunately were all informal ones- I'd got the pre-wedding, the ceremony and the groups on older, cheaper, cards.

The magnificent guarantee and offer of help I got was to replace the card. I took a refund and have never bought a Sandisk card since.

I'm afraid I don't have experience of your camera model, but I'd imagine a class 6 or 10 card would be more than adequate for a compact camera's capabilities, as they will facilitate shooting HD video.

I don't know for sure, but I would imagine the sort of burst rate and buffer size you'll get on an S95 will be adequately served by a fast consumer level card. I could well be wrong, but I think the sort of write speeds you're talking about would be complete over-kill for the camera in question - with the only advantage coming in transfer rate to your mac/pc.
9 Aug 2011 11:08AM
Only ever lost two cards (one was a MicroDrive). I think that half of mine are probably counterfeits. Ebay is swimming in them.
ChrisV 13 2.3k 26 United Kingdom
9 Aug 2011 12:34PM
Yeah, you have to be really careful buying from eBay. Mine was from Jessops. They got it back.

I generally go for fast Transcend cards these days [both SD and CF] - but these are being counterfeited too. Best to go for a retailer with a portfolio of camera gear and a good track record if you have to use eBay. Some of the third party retailers going through Amazon are just as cheap as the eBay [legit] ones, [if you're getting a silly price you're probably going to get a silly card Wink]. I think they're backed by a guarantee from Amazon - but don't quote me - I'll quote Amazon:

Quote:Does Amazon.co.uk offer any guarantee on items bought from third-party sellers?

We want you to buy with confidence any time you purchase products on the Amazon.co.uk website. That is why we guarantee purchases from third-party sellers when payment is made via the Amazon.co.uk website. The condition of the item you buy and its timely delivery are guaranteed under Amazon's A-to-z Safe Buying Guarantee.

9 Aug 2011 6:50PM
Yep tend to agree with general sentiment that 45mb/s is overkill for a compact, but wondered if it would make any difference to recording vid in HD. I guess not... as I think the vid recording relies on the 'constant' rate which is generally much much lower than the advertised transfer rate (I think under class 4 does not have a high enough constant rate for HD, which is why you need class 4 & above for HD).

Never had a problem with sandisk myself Smile
Carabosse 17 41.4k 270 England
9 Aug 2011 7:31PM
The S95 records HD video at a max of 21Mbps... it has variable bit rate. So a card with anything much over that, is overkill.
9 Aug 2011 11:16PM
Of course it's hard to extrapolate how well a card that can cope with video will cope with stills. You're comparing oranges and apples. On an S95 video is equivalent to 24 1280px x 720p every second, when shooting stills the frame size is a much bigger 3648px 2736px. Video is also compressed, there's the use of keyframes where only the differences between subsequent frames are stored til the next keyframe.
strawman 16 22.1k 16 United Kingdom
9 Aug 2011 11:21PM
I use 8G SanDisk Ultra 15MB/s cards and shoot HD video no problem on an S95 so why buy the more expensive cards for the S95?

Simplsk as those annoying puppets say.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.