Christmas Prize Draw 2017

Canon selling experiences not cameras?

JackAllTog Plus
9 5.3k 58 United Kingdom
9 Jul 2018 2:01PM
Its bugged me for a while now that Canon is not overtly marketing to the camera enthusiast. ( I'm a Canon fan by nature of the fact that this was my first recent camera and switching systems is costly).

Reading further into this it seems that Canon does not see significant profit in the promotion the unique features of its cameras to the mass market. (I'll assume there is yet a good niche in the professional long white lens sports market).
Its as if they have given up; Instead seeing smartphones taking over, along with Go Pros for sports and m4/3 for the niche tech spec followers.
They are now tuning product releases to the video/vlog market. The great excitement of mirrorless and new mounts whilst good for a nerd like me is just part of the video strategy for them.
I kind of wonder if the reasons l like Canon are now eroding away leaving the path open for consumer tech companies like Sony to run free.
The likes of Sigma now produce superb lenses, and Nikon seems to be losing it strong iconic position.

So should the loyal amateur Canon, (or Nikon) user base just wake up and forget being excited about the actual products you might use to get your results?

Personally, i think they have got it all wrong and they should be looking at the product aspiration in the same way that the car industry has its Top Gear type programs. Its the mastery of the equipment use that produces the amazing results the marketeers can show off - the equipment is what Canon sells - they don't own the creativity of the masses. Where is Canon's overdue mirror less FF street camera, where is its Medium format golden child. Can it not differentiate its lenses any more?

Millions love taking their own photos, but only the few ever get famous from it. Has marketing forgotten where the cash actually comes from. Is it only marketeers that are interested in the high profile experiences as they don't love the core value of producing the actual images and videos anymore?

What do you think?

A few more links on Canon's shift:
http://www.vccp.com/campaign/live-for-story/
http://www.vccp.com/campaign/17263/

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

thewilliam2 1 1.0k
9 Jul 2018 2:53PM
If the likes of Canon and Nikon, and other high-end makers, only sold their cameras to folk who knew how to get the best from them, sales would probably be too low to sustain production.

I'm very thankful that so many punters want to buy "pro" cameras and lenses because Nikon then has an economy of scale and the price falls to within my budget. I'm also thankful that so many enthusiasts feel an irresistible urge to trade in a perfectly good camera or lens just because a new model has been released.

Long live the Canon and Nikon "experience"!
JJGEE 13 7.4k 18 England
9 Jul 2018 4:17PM

Quote:Canon does not see significant profit in the promotion the unique features of its cameras to the mass market.

Perhaps there are no unique features to promote ?
Dave_Canon 12 1.4k United Kingdom
9 Jul 2018 4:22PM
My relation with companies like Canon is purely business so I cannot relate to the idea of being a fan of a company. I have bought several Canon SLR's and DSLR's over the years and lenses to go with them as it has suited my needs. However, my recent visit to London emphasised the problems of carrying heavy equipment especially in this hot weather. In the next year or two I expect to buy a mirrorless camera to use increasingly to avoid carrying heavy equipment. I am not certain what I would buy right now but it would not be Canon. However in a couple of years when I am looking, it will depend on what is on offer whatever the brand.

Dave
Chris_L Plus
4 4.9k United Kingdom
10 Jul 2018 12:50AM
I'd love to know where in Canon's camera division they make the most money.

I know that Apple abandoned their pro users because the folks buying Macbooks for serious work are a tiny fraction of Apple customers. The big money comes from selling iPads and iPhones. Far more profitable with far less support headaches. Final Cut dumbed down, Aperture gone.

Who do Canon care about the most and who the least? The guys shooting the World Cup with massive lenses aren't going to bring in massive revenues, there aren't enough of them.

What newspaper photographers that are left now might not be worth as much effort as they would have been 15 years ago.

Wedding and events photographers, many using high end bodies and L series lenses must account for a good chunk of revenue.

But, is that crowd outspent by the masses who buy 1300Ds and 18-55s and 70-300 f5.6 lenses?

Compacts may do well still in some countries. Many phones can compete with a good compact but not everyone realises that and they still buy compacts.
LenShepherd 10 3.8k United Kingdom
10 Jul 2018 7:58AM

Quote:
Who do Canon care about the most and who the least? The guys shooting the World Cup with massive lenses aren't going to bring in massive revenues, there aren't enough of them.

Are you asking about revenue, or profit?
They are not the same thing.
Markets change - many who bought compact cameras no longer do so.
Manufacturing profit margins tend to be high on high end products.
Low volume unit sales can equate to high profit.
thewilliam2 1 1.0k
10 Jul 2018 11:04AM

Quote:I'd love to know where in Canon's camera division they make the most money.

Wedding and events photographers, many using high end bodies and L series lenses must account for a good chunk of revenue.

But, is that crowd outspent by the masses who buy 1300Ds and 18-55s and 70-300 f5.6 lenses?

Compacts may do well still in some countries. Many phones can compete with a good compact but not everyone realises that and they still buy compacts.

Chris, I'd suggest that those photographers at the Olympics and World Cup are doing some very valuable product endorsement which is carefully designed to persuade the punters who actually do spend the money that Canon products are the best bet.

Isn't this why manufacturers pay enormous sums to have their sports kit is endorsed by celebrities?
Chris_L Plus
4 4.9k United Kingdom
14 Jul 2018 10:41PM
Which is why they don't care about making a profit out of those guys, the guys are ambassadors.

So where do they make their profits? L series lenses? Basic XXXXD and XXXD bodies, basic lenses, flash guns?
JJGEE 13 7.4k 18 England
15 Jul 2018 9:02AM

Quote:So where do they make their profits?

Perhaps from PHOTOcopiers Wink
miptog 13 3.6k 62 United Kingdom
15 Jul 2018 9:58AM
Extract below from OP link sums it up, and the move has been happening since 2014.

Quote: Canon is in trouble, and the company knows it. While still renowned for making top-quality cameras, it is losing relevance even as its consumers grow more obsessed with photography.

Last year, Canonís total digital camera sales declined 12%, thanks to a 22% drop in compact camera sales.

"The market has changed and Canonís competitive set has been redefined from Nikon and Sony towards Apple, Samsung and even Snapchat," Lee Bonniface, Canonís EMEA marketing director, admits. "We knew we either had to become a niche business for the photography geeks or we could reposition ourselves into a brand millennials connect with."

Itís a challenge that Canon has been tackling from within. In September 2014, company veteran Bonniface was promoted to EMEA transformation director, tasked with changing Canon from a product-centric business to a consumer-centric one. Bonniface continues to hold this post after he became marketing director last year.

He says: "We had to ask: how do we coexist with smartphones and embrace the new imaging world?"

Chris_L Plus
4 4.9k United Kingdom
15 Jul 2018 1:48PM
Bonniface is floundering, maybe he saw what happened to Polaroid and to Kodak and he's trying to reposition them "from a product-centric business to a consumer-centric one" - but that's marketing bull

Quote:Perhaps from PHOTOcopiers

That's why I said their camera division. They've got scientific divisions, printer divisions etc. I do not doubt that their revenues are falling and that four years ago they were trying to do something about it.

Does anyone know which area of the camera division is the most profitable? 1 series, 5 series XX series XXX series XXXX series? L series lenses, non L series lenses, Speedlites
Carabosse 15 41.2k 270 England
16 Jul 2018 2:28PM

Quote:Does anyone know which area of the camera division is the most profitable?

I imagine that is commercially sensitive information. After all, you wouldn't want buyers of your low-end products to know they are subsidising the high-end products, which achieve much lower sales.

It is entirely possible that, once upon a time, the sale of compact cameras subsidised the sale of DSLRs etc. But as the sale of compacts has fallen away, the commercial options have fallen away with them.
JackAllTog Plus
9 5.3k 58 United Kingdom
27 Jul 2018 1:54PM
In the canon financial statement
https://global.canon/en/ir/conference/pdf/conf2018q2e-all.pdf they are looking to target advanced advanced amateurs models.

and also here there is a speech summary that says - they are targeting advanced amateurs
https://global.canon/en/ir/conference/pdf/conf2018q2e-sum.pdf
So i'm hoping they see new ways/models to deliver desirable cameras people want.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.