Canon User... INCOMING!

thewilliam 11 6.1k
29 Mar 2012 11:45PM
Don't part with the 50mm f1.2 because it'll work well with the D800E but don't try focussing by eye if you're using f1.4. Use the focus confirmation light.

A camera with such high resolution is going to be merciless in showing your focussing errors, and camera shake!

I have only one Zeiss prime and that isn't a wide angle but it's good. If you're anywhere near Poole, drop into Robert White and shoot a few test frames before you buy.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed 9 4.6k 1 Scotland
30 Mar 2012 12:03AM
For what it's worth (maybe not very much), the lenses I use with my Nikon FX cameras are:

Sigma 8mm Fisheye
Nikkor 16-35 f/4 (chosen in preference to the 14-24mm because of the filter problem)
Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8
Nikkor 28-300mm (basically as a "travel lens" )
Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D
Nikkor 105mm Micro
Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8
Nikkor 70-300mm (now pretty redundant)
Sigma 150-500mm

I find that the above collection pretty well meet my requirements. I would love some of the Nikkor long focus primes - but they would cost far more than the camera!

robs 16 685 2 United Kingdom
30 Mar 2012 12:21AM
How do you find the big Sigma? That is an option for a cheap long lens if I concentrate on buying lenses that are more appropriate to my usual needs (wide angle to mid-telephoto).

I have the Sigma 24mm f1.8 on the 5D II and it is utterly fantastic so I keep wondering about getting another Wink

My Nikkor 50mm has a massive scratch on the front element and a bashed up filter ring. Both hangovers from a photography assignment in the Amazon many years ago! Not sure how much use it is going to be - the scratch didn't really impact on 35mm film, but I don't think I will get away with it on the D800 sensor!
User_Removed 9 4.6k 1 Scotland
30 Mar 2012 2:07PM

Quote:How do you find the big Sigma? That is an option for a cheap long lens

I currently have a print of a gannet in flight selected for the RPS Nature Group 2012 Exhibition that was taken with this lens. You don't get a much better commendation of a long lens than that. The only qualification that I would have is that I rarely use the OS on it - partly because it does nothing to help moving subjects and partly because it seems to slow down AF. It also certainly drains the battery quicker - which wasn't an issue with the D3s that I used for the gannet shot but it could be with the much lower capacity battery of the D800.
coliwolii 10 69 United Kingdom
1 Apr 2012 1:26PM
There are alternatives to the 14-24 problem:-

Filter one

Filter two

See also this video by Ben Jacobsen on an excellent DIY alternative.

Ben Jacobsen
robs 16 685 2 United Kingdom
7 Apr 2012 12:46AM
Just having a play about on Warehouse Express... put together this as a possible list:

1 x Nikon TC-14E AF-S Teleconverter II
1 x Sigma 150mm f2.8 EX DG OS HSM Macro Lens - Nikon Fit
1 x Nikon 300mm f4 D AF-S IF ED Lens
1 x Nikon 85mm f1.8 D AF Lens
1 x Nikon 50mm f1.4 G AF-S Lens
1 x Sigma 24mm f1.8 EX DG Lens - Nikon Fit (I have the Canon fit version and really do like the quality of the images I get from that lens)

It covers most of my bases and I think I should be able to raise about enough money to cover it all, plus a single SB910 and the posher remote cable release from the sale of my Canon gear. If I switch to the Nikkor 24mm 2.8 rather than the Sigma I may just be able to sneak the Nikkor 20mm under the radar too!

The alternative is looking to be:

16-35 f4
24-120 f4
300 f4
1.4 TC
Possibly just get the Sigma 150 macro in too, but it would be very tight.

Alas I had to take evasive action on the road last week and my 5D mark II is no longer of this world which has taken a big chunk out of my budget... if the insurance comes through and repairs it/replaces it then I can use that as an extra, but at this time I can't really count that one as an option :-(

The zooms are tempting on the grounds of convenience, but I am thinking that the primes could offer some more interesting possibilities and perhaps break me out of the rut that I seem to have got into by making me think about composition a bit harder!

Rob

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.