Find Out What's Happening At The Photography Show 2021

Canvas- Acrylic or Aluminium ?

RazvanD 11 3 7 United Kingdom
9 Oct 2011 11:19AM
Hello everyone!
I want to start printing my best photos and i don`t know what seems to look best because i haven`t seen it all.

What i know is when it comes to portraits , canvas looks amazing.

Now for the landscapes and still, macro... is there any way to avoid the case when the delivery arrives and you say: It looks good but i think i should have chosen a different print.

Should i visit some exibitions?

Thank you!

Razvan
thatmanbrian 10 342 3 Spain
10 Oct 2011 7:23PM
Personally, I print most stuff on a satin type paper which has enough sheen to give good blacks but isn't so shiny it gives troublesome reflections. But it's very personal. Printshops may be able to offer a set of samples on different paper or if you print yourself, places like fotospeed offer boxes of assorted papers so you can try them yourself. Quite cheap too.
10 Oct 2011 7:42PM
Thank you for the suggestion, i will look into it.

Razvan
12 Oct 2011 6:53AM
Thanks to both of you, i am a newbie.
12 Oct 2011 6:02PM
Welcome Alvin.
mattw 17 5.2k 10 United Kingdom
13 Oct 2011 2:17PM

Quote:I want to start printing my best photos and i don`t know what seems to look best because i haven`t seen it all.

Visit a trade show such as Focus, as these are great for seeing the different print options in person.

Quote:
Now for the landscapes and still, macro... is there any way to avoid the case when the delivery arrives and you say: It looks good but i think i should have chosen a different print.

Experience?

If you are runnig an expensive print (a big canvas print say), it does sometimes help to do a small test print first - some times you only spot mistakes or problems when looking at a print rather than on screen.
StevenJLewis 11 50 United Kingdom
18 Oct 2011 9:22PM
and be wary - a cheap canvas may lose saturation - and wont look as good as a print. Or wear dull clothes Smile
The example I saw was of smarties - looked great on paper. Photographer was rightly disappointed with the canvas.
Also the quality of the build (frame) can vary. Read up on that too
18 Oct 2011 9:27PM
Thank yoy everyone for the feedback, very much appreciated. I want to start selling them in the future as i have certain friends that think they could buy some of my photos and as i don`t know much about it i thoght i could use some advice.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.