Change gear with our partner, MPB

Capturing of water

MrBMorris 14 27 United Kingdom
12 Jun 2008 7:37PM
Hi there.

New to the Forum, so first off..Hi.

I was wondering what the best way is to capture water so it's like that smeared blur if that makes sense. I uploaded a photo today where I seemed to of nailed it. But now I'm lost on the settings as I've been looking through waterfall pictures. I have tried playing with shutter speeds but all my picture's come out bright white.

Im sorry if this makes absolutely no sense to any of you lol.

Ben
conrad 17 10.9k 116
12 Jun 2008 7:40PM
Do you mean that you feel the water is looking too milky? In that case your shutter speed is too long. Or are the white areas burnt out? (No colour information in them at all - even the areas in pictures we call white are usually not completely white, there normally should still be some colour in them.) Could be overexposing.
Nickscape 15 708 9 England
12 Jun 2008 7:57PM
Over exposure it sounds like Ben. The thing about long shutter speeds is that it ever needs to be quite dark when you take the shot, or you need to use Neutral Density filters to block out some of the light. Example shutter speeds i would use are;

Misty Sea - 10 - 30 seconds
Completely Milky Water Fall - 5 - 10 seconds
Waterwall with some detail still in the water - 1/10th - 1 Second

If you need to block out light make sure your lens aperture is at f/22 (not the best quality but the least amount of light will hit the sensor). I think your camera only goes to F/8 so that is what you will need. Get a tripod and maybe some cheap ND filters and have an experiment!

Nick
12 Jun 2008 8:14PM
I've just tried it in a darker environment with a 4sec shutter and on F13.2 i think,I've got a much better result. so I'll just have to try with water in a darker room.

I love the photo Nickscape has, milky water flowing on rocks! exactly how I wanna get pictures. well close as it'll be some years before I get any where near there.

Yeah there was some other colour in the white pictures but was just like if a bright light hits your eyes, get purple dots etc.

I wanna do a photography course. Obviously I'll need a better camera with longer shutter speeds etc.
MalcolmS Plus
16 1.2k 13 England
12 Jun 2008 8:50PM
I use F14 to F22 with speeds between 0.3 and 0.8 secs. Too long an exposure causes burn out whilst too short freezes the water so you lose the sense of movement.

You definitely need a tripod and if shooting with sky behind the falls the graduated filters are useful for balancing the exposure.

Malcolm
12 Jun 2008 9:09PM
Cool, thanks for your help. Im gonna try some with traffic later in the dark. as for the water, in a picture i added today, the water in that, is perfect for what i wanna achieve, so if i can keep doing that, I'll be happy.
davidcollins 16 108 1 Scotland
12 Jun 2008 9:29PM
when taking waterfalls i always use a polarising filter and exposure compensation .or if the shot is with sky in it as malcolm said some soft nd filters work a treat .
tomcat 16 6.4k 15 United Kingdom
18 Jun 2008 9:01PM

Quote:capturing of water

I always use a bucket Wink
pepperst 14 2.3k 4 Wales
18 Jun 2008 9:16PM
Or a sponge Smile
Glynn Plus
15 1.2k 1 United Kingdom
18 Jun 2008 9:28PM
Hi,

Welcome to the forum. What Malc and David have said. I also use ND filters (Neutral Density). These filters are grey in colour and their main purpose are to reduces light of all wavelengths or colors equally. This allows the photographer greater flexibility to change the aperture or exposure time, allowing for more control, particularly in extreme circumstances.
I also use the AEB or Auto Exposure Bracketing facility and set it to -2 & +2 ev. I then use HDR software that processes the image better and reduces the highlights. I hope that this is helpfull.
Glynn

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.