Save 69% on inPixio Photo Studio 10 Ultimate

Caribbean ? where to shoot

Vineblind 4 1
21 Sep 2015 4:26PM
Hi,

not so far from now me and couple of mine friends are going to Caribbean. i would like to ask you about few things.
1. I know it is beautiful , paradaise etc ( gonna be my first time) etc. but there must to be some special, unique places. Please do not advise to check middle of Burmud Triangle Smile
2. What equipment is worth which one is necccessary to have with me.
3. My strong side are portraits, what is worth to look at at this location.
4. If sb can tell me about any individual, group workshops in virgin islnads or west from there would great

Ciao

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

wsteffey 13 13 United States
22 Sep 2015 2:37PM
The less developed islands will be prettier, but more difficult to reach than say St; Thomas or St. Martin.These two have major airports, but may not be as "virgin" as others. Still, St Thomas has very nice sites and tours, and St Martin has two communities, one Dutch and one French, to visit and explore. Both are relatively safe for independent travel.

Dominica, if not too badly damaged by the recent tropical storm, is by far the most natural and undeveloped island. Difficult to get to (some cruise lines do stop), and with limited tourist facilities. Think Pirates of the Caribbean scenery. If you go to Dominica, try the river tubing adventure

St. Lucia would be my second choice. Only slightly less dramatic than Dominica, (you can drive into an active volcano), but a better selection of resorts and facilities.

My wife and I like cruising, but only 10 day adventures. 7 day cruises stop only at the major ports.
ikky 6 88 United Kingdom
24 Sep 2015 9:08AM
Having done several cruises around the Caribbean I would suggest that ALL the islands are worth a visit with the exception of Jamaica.
Jamaica was the only island where we were not happy making our own way around, constantly hassled by locals trying to sell drugs etc.
As for kit travel light with just one lens say an 18-200 or similar, and don't forget spare cards and battery.
My favourite islands would be BVI the locals are great with fantastic scenery, good luck wherever you end up.
OH and don't forget Cuba the buildings and old cars are fascinating

Vineblind 4 1
24 Sep 2015 2:17PM
wsteffey, ikky

Thanks for replies. I will ask about no photo first. Where did you charter boats? Was it a yacht or catamaran ? I think to charter a yacht. And how much did you pay for it. ?

I start with USVI/BVI and than going west and Cuba is also on my way. For sure i will check twice all locations you have mentioned over here.

Please let me know about yachts cuz it can decide about places on my way Wink

Cheers
26 Sep 2015 11:12AM
Don't miss Dominica. It is definitely the wildest and less explored island in Caribbean. High diversity. Make a trek to Boiling Lake and geothermal area wandering through rainforest, sail the Indian River (The Pirates of Caribbean shoot location) through wild rainforest and mangroves, with many wild sand beaches especially on the northern part of the island (Calibishie).
Highly recommended. Have a nice trip.
ikky 6 88 United Kingdom
28 Sep 2015 3:35PM
In my experience its a lot cheaper to book yourself onto a cruise rather than consider a private charter.
We looked into a charter from BVI two years ago and it was up to ten times the price of a two week cruise, for a four day charter.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.