GB Sports Photographer & The Panasonic LUMIX S1

Changing to Mac

ColleenA Plus
7 420 6 Australia
10 Aug 2014 3:58PM
I am ready to purchase a MacBook air 13" and up until now have only used Picassa as an editing tool. Is it better to purchase Aperture or Photoshop

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

lobsterboy Plus
15 14.9k 13 United Kingdom
10 Aug 2014 4:04PM
Well I wouldn't go with Aperture as its being discontinued.
saltireblue Plus
9 9.7k 36 Norway
10 Aug 2014 4:09PM
I recently went over to Mac and run PS CC 2014 on it...works very well.
JJGEE 14 7.6k 18 England
10 Aug 2014 4:09PM
Apple are no longer developing Aperture so there will no more updates and therefore it may be wise to consider other options.
Products form DXO and Phase One are worth checking out, Adobe's Photoshop is now subscription only ( you cannot buy it outright ) so another good option and the software I use is Adobe's Lightroom.

Those mentioned can be downloaded as a free trial so perhaps give one or all of them a go.
ColleenA Plus
7 420 6 Australia
10 Aug 2014 4:17PM
Thanks everyone. Didn't know about Aperture being discontinued so good advice.
robthecamman 8 1.7k United Kingdom
10 Aug 2014 4:23PM
yosemite the next update from maverick comes out later this year for mac
JJGEE 14 7.6k 18 England
10 Aug 2014 4:55PM

Quote:yosemite the next update from maverick comes out later this year for mac

But that is the operating system not photo editing software.
seahawk 12 1.3k United Kingdom
10 Aug 2014 4:58PM
Yosemite is the latest version of the OS, not a photo editing program.
I use Lightroom on my iMac and recommend it.
Nick_w Plus
12 4.3k 99 England
10 Aug 2014 5:13PM
I did the same - well went to Macbook pro, so I can edit when I'm away from home. Works well, but remember you can't upgrade the new macs so get the maximum memory you can afford from the off (I didn't realise until after I bought it).

What noticed tho its faster in opening, applying filters etc than Windows, but it is slower when you get to very large files (I'm often over 5GB for composites) - I went for 8GB, and my Windows machine is 16GB.

Lightroom flies on the Mac, must be 100x faster than the windows machine.
lobsterboy Plus
10 Aug 2014 5:15PM

Quote:Lightroom flies on the Mac, must be 100x faster than the windows machine.

Is your Windows machine using an SSD ?
Nick_w Plus
12 4.3k 99 England
10 Aug 2014 5:19PM

Quote:Lightroom flies on the Mac, must be 100x faster than the windows machine.

Is your Windows machine using an SSD ?

No, I realise thats the difference. But the same files for a full 64GB card takes overnight to upload to the windows machine - on the mc it takes less than a minute (no I'm not exaggerating). Before moving to the Mac I was seriously thinking of ditching lightroom.
saltireblue Plus
9 9.7k 36 Norway
10 Aug 2014 5:20PM

Quote:but remember you can't upgrade the new macs so get the maximum memory you can afford from the off (I didn't realise until after I bought it).

I went for 16gb from the start as the shop told me about not being able to update afterwards.
Suzicoo 7 481 United Kingdom
10 Aug 2014 5:44PM
I use a mac and lightroom for editing, perfectly happy with this set up
lobsterboy Plus
10 Aug 2014 5:50PM

Quote:No, I realise thats the difference. But the same files for a full 64GB card takes overnight to upload to the windows machine - on the mc it takes less than a minute (no I'm not exaggerating)

That's a heavily I/O bound operation, so it would be a combination of the speed of the card reader & the speed of the disk. Thunderbolt and an SSD would be much much faster than USB & an HDD, I would doubt the operating system would make more than a tiny difference to the download time.
Chris_L 5 5.2k United Kingdom
10 Aug 2014 6:20PM
Nick, my current Windows machine imports photos from a card as fast as you like, my previous PC had front USB ports that were incredibly slow (copying files to or from a USB stick took forever). It's definitely a hardware issue and not to do with Lightroom.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.