GB Sports Photographer & The Panasonic LUMIX S1

Cheap and nasty long lens, thoughts?

thewilliam2 2 1.3k
13 May 2019 9:27AM

Quote:Hold on, I'm such a Luddite that my cameras still have mirrors!

It can still be done. Is there an M42 to Canon adaptor? If so, the Ruskie mirror lenses are good performers and built like a tank!

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

altitude50 15 16.1k United Kingdom
13 May 2019 3:29PM
I have had two mirror lenses, used on a digital SLR. One was a Soligor 300mm (I think) and I think the other one was a Centon 500 both were, I thought, very low on contrast. Both cheap. The only picture that I can Identify from the Centon is below - boosted in contrast etc..
In the 80's I had a Makinon mirror lens for Minolta 35mm which was not wonderful, for the time.

As for a cheapish bridge camera, the Lumix FZ 72 very good at max zoom and the image stabilisation works very well.
21670_1557757727.jpg

peterjones 17 4.9k 1 United Kingdom
14 May 2019 2:59PM
Eek! I would avoid the Centon 500mm mirror lens; I had one many moons ago and my memory was that it was the worst and still is the worst lens that I ever owned; you might however be able to use it in some creative activity.
27 May 2019 6:02PM
Thanks everyone for the advice.

In hindsight, I'll probably just stay with the 300 f4 and 1.4TC. Over extreme distances, haze just kills it

Covering news is an odd thing, you are always aware that you or family could be in those tragic circumstances, This weekend, a friend took an overdose, and thankfully survived.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.