Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

Cheap eBay wireless flash systems

lobsterboy Plus
17 14.9k 13 United Kingdom
9 Jul 2007 1:48PM
Has anyone got any experience of the bargain flash transmitters on ebay like this ?

I just fancy playing with off camera flash and don't want to shell out for expensive units just yet.
User_Removed 15 398 6 United Kingdom
9 Jul 2007 2:34PM
Hi

Yes Carsten and I use these with our 430 EX's - work well - make sure you get the ones with 4 channels an select the channel that shows as ON otherwise the flashes fire intermitantly.

They also work very well in the studio as well.

Neal
lobsterboy Plus
9 Jul 2007 2:35PM
Thanks - that is good to hear Smile
User_Removed 17 3.3k Russian Federation
9 Jul 2007 3:28PM
I've heard mixed reports from a variety of sources... General consensus is fine in the studio, but not 100% consistent, though generally OK if you don't need the range and reliability of something like pocketwizards.

I've just (last week) ordered a set for myself from a firm called Gadget Infinity. I think they're Hong Kong based, but they come recommended on Strobist as a cheap PW alternative.
pcheywood 16 1.3k England
9 Jul 2007 3:41PM
I use a similar 'cheapo' set, never had any problems so far.

Paul.
Coleslaw 16 13.4k 28 Wales
9 Jul 2007 4:00PM
bookmarking
NikLG 16 1.7k England
9 Jul 2007 5:21PM
Idiot's question time....

Am I right in thinking that using these things you could put ANY flash onto the reciever ? I take it that the reciever hot-shoe is pretty basic...

Yay or nay ?

Thought that is so it could be a pretty cheap way of getting something set up, by buying some older, cheaper units off e-bay or something...

Nik
9 Jul 2007 5:32PM

Quote:Am I right in thinking that using these things you could put ANY flash onto the reciever ? I take it that the reciever hot-shoe is pretty basic...

I don't think it's actually a proper hotshoe Nik, from what I remember it's made of plastic and is simply like that so you can attach a flash gun - I don't think that there are any contacts. To get your flash units to fire, you still need to connect them with a short sync cord to the receiver...

Old flashes.... I'm no flash expert by any stretch, but given their price (cheap) and the fact that most people only use them to trigger flashguns (low voltage), then I'm guessing that the voltage they put out isn't anything big.

I'm prepared to be proven wrong though... YMMV

EDIT: eBay one's appear to have metal hotshoe, so I could well be wrong. They do, in any case, have a sync terminal in the receivers, so (technically speaking) you could also use them on studio lights.
NikLG 16 1.7k England
10 Jul 2007 10:16AM
OK. Cheers for that. I'll maybe put off venturing into any flash usage for a while yet, till I learn more ( anything.. ) about it all....

Nik
richard00 14 504 1
10 Jul 2007 10:45AM
could be wrong, but from reading the link

Aren't they wireless? surely they work by sending an wireless [IR] signal from camera to flashgun via the adaptors. basically the same as a 580 can trigger a 430. no?

cables are only needed if you lack a hotshoe [old gear]?
10 Jul 2007 11:23AM
They're wireless, yes, but not IR. Infrared is short range, requires line of sight and is moderately unreliable. These use a radio signal that works over a longer distance and doesn't need line of sight.

Whether or not they require a sync cable remains to be seen and what I was rambling about earlier. If the remote receiver has a "proper" hotshoe with electrical contacts to trigger the flash, then you won't need a sync cable. If the "hotshoe" on the receiver doesn't have electrical contacts, then it's merely there for the purpose of having somewhere convenient to stick your flashgun, and you will still need the sync cable from the receiver base to your flash unit.

That make sense?
park my ferret 17 1.0k United Kingdom
10 Jul 2007 11:30AM
there are several types - if you are looking for one to trigger the canon speedlights then you need to get onbe that specificly says it will, cos appaerently some of them don't.
But mine seem to work ok.
samfurlong 15 2.5k United Kingdom
10 Jul 2007 4:14PM
A guy I know has one of these systems and he has had no problems with it. One drawback is that you have to do everything manually as there is no TTL information exchanged so if you want to vary your flash power / adjust settings you have to keep walking back over to your flashgun.

At about 100 the canon ST-E2 is hardly expensive and it gives full ETTL control, the flash behaves exactly as it does when bolted directly on to the hotshoe, you can set your exposure compensation etc.. straight from the camera and can control multiple flash setups as well.
Have a play with a cheap set and see if it's something you'll use much, if it is then buy the proper canon one and make your life easier.
lobsterboy Plus
10 Jul 2007 5:11PM

Quote:Have a play with a cheap set and see if it's something you'll use much, if it is then buy the proper canon one and make your life easier.

That's what I intended to do Sam Wink
Tutterzzz 14 160 United Kingdom
14 Jul 2007 11:51PM
Ive heard mixed views from the cactus v2 triggers

some people have had them not work at all, some have it rapidly fire theyre flashgun without even touching the camera or the transmitter, some people have theyres misfire ALOT

I recieved mine in the post today from GadgetInfinity (an american ebay store), set it up to use chanel 2 and its pretty impressive for only 17!
It misfires sometimes but not very often at all, i would say 1-4 times (seperatley or all at once) every 25 cycles or so

bargain for the price though

alos if your using a canon flashgun you can find on an american ebay store somewhere the canon brand flash transmitter for around 60 and 30 on shipping, still cheaper than from a real store though

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.