Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

Cheap eBay wireless flash systems

Coleslaw 16 13.4k 28 Wales
15 Jul 2007 9:59AM
Chris, please let us know how it goes and if it is good.
Mark_C 15 24
1 Aug 2007 10:32PM
Hi..

I bought a similar set from shop on ebay called Link Delight...about 40...works a treat...touch wood never had a problem yet...did an event a few weks ago and fired 99.9% consitently over 2 days and 2,500 shots...
No wires needed other than the one plugged from the receiver in to the sync plug on the flash head..

All good...
User_Removed 17 3.3k Russian Federation
1 Aug 2007 11:12PM
Just to return to this to give my feedback, now that I've seen it out the corner of my eye again...

I got my Cactus transmitter/receiver set from Gadget Ininity a couple of weeks back. I was wrong in thinking that you needed a sync lead - as someone mentioned, you can just connect your flash to the hotshoe on the receiver and away you go. Had a few problems to begin with, but they were purely down to me not realising that I needed to remember to set my flash to manual mode!

Since then, it's worked pretty much flawlessly. There are the occasional times when the flash doesn't fire, but very few and far between. I used it at a wedding last Friday to leave my flash off camera when lighting the first dance and I'm very pleased with the results. I've also managed to use two flashes with just one receiver by using one SB-800 on manual mode in the receiver, and another on SU-4 mode.

They may not have the range & reliability of Pocket Wizards, but for twenty-odd quid, you cannot be robbed. I've already ordered some more receivers for my other flashguns and spares.
User_Removed 17 3.3k Russian Federation
14 Aug 2007 8:21PM
I'm coming back to this yet again, to add a few more comments now that I've used these a bit more...

I've noticed a falloff in reliability that corrolates to distance... For units that have a supposed maximum range of 100m or so, I found reliability to be significantly less than that, with misfires starting at about 10m, and complete failure occuring roundabout 25m. That's in an outdoor situation with clear line of sight. Since then, I've read a thread on another forum relating to this and it appears that earlier models had internal antennas, whilst newer ones do not...

However, THIS Flickr thread has some useful information about improving the reliability of the units. I'm too lazy to start attaching wires internally, but I have noticed a marked improvement by leaving the sync cable connected to the hotshoe-mounted receiver.

I've had up to four flashes working now using this method, all reliably. If you're happy working with flashes in manual mode, then you could buy say, another old Nikon SB-24 or something, use that with a receiver and another SB-800 in SU-4 mode as a second flash. That way, you don't even need to have one receiver per unit...

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.