Christmas Prize Draw 2017

Cheap Full Frame Mirrorless

Chris_L Plus
4 4.9k United Kingdom
23 Nov 2018 11:22AM
This is a bloody good deal for a full frame mirrorless with a lens.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ChrisV 12 2.3k 26 United Kingdom
23 Nov 2018 11:36AM
On the surface of it, amazing.

But then you look at the underperforming sensor, the poor AF, lack of IBIS, awful interface and it becomes a bit off putting. I think the more compelling offers come with the later, more refined offerings. Version 1 just has too many shortcomings. Sony only hit its stride with the A7rII imo. That is a great bargain at £1500, but itís not super-affordable especially once you factor in lenses that make the most of it.

Speaking of which the super-bargain 18-35 Sigma f1.8 with a Viltrox speedbooster has given my mft kit a new lease of life. A similar cost to this Sony, but a better investment if youíre already in the mft ecosystem.
rhody 16 2.7k 2 United Kingdom
23 Nov 2018 1:18PM
It's only the Jpegs which are disappointing from this camera - the RAW images and video are very good indeed. It does indeed look like a bargain for some.
No camera is perfect for everyone. If you can work with its foibles, as with any camera, it is a good deal.
23 Nov 2018 1:26PM

Quote: This is a bloody good deal for a full frame mirrorless with a lens.

Many thanks for the heads up Chris_L - mine will be ready for collection on Sunday Grin
ChrisV 12 2.3k 26 United Kingdom
23 Nov 2018 4:15PM
Itís certainly a very small amount of money for a new full frame camera. Enjoy!
23 Nov 2018 4:24PM
Thank you Chris V - much appreciated. I shoot mainly in RAW - so I should be OK. You are right the interface is clunky ( I know from experience) but I'll adapt and survive Grin
Paul Morgan 17 19.3k 6 England
23 Nov 2018 5:02PM
For simple still use its a pretty good deal, I was tempted with the offer last night but was only looking for something to replace my x10, ended up ordering a cheap fuji APS-C with kit lens and a tiny 35mm f1.2, not quite a compact but came at the sort of price you could pay for a pretty decent one.
24 Nov 2018 5:12AM

Quote:For simple still use its a pretty good deal, I was tempted with the offer last night but was only looking for something to replace my x10, ended up ordering a cheap fuji APS-C with kit lens and a tiny 35mm f1.2, not quite a compact but came at the sort of price you could pay for a pretty decent one.

The Fuji APS-C cameras produce some stunning images and interestingly, Fuji only stated last week that FF Mirrorless is not for them.
25 Nov 2018 1:11AM

Quote:
Quote:For simple still use its a pretty good deal, I was tempted with the offer last night but was only looking for something to replace my x10, ended up ordering a cheap fuji APS-C with kit lens and a tiny 35mm f1.2, not quite a compact but came at the sort of price you could pay for a pretty decent one.

The Fuji APS-C cameras produce some stunning images and interestingly, Fuji only stated last week that FF Mirrorless is not for them.

Well they have medium format and APS-C, guess it enough.

If I ever get anything in full frame though, it would be a Sony for me.

That Fuji arrived today (a day earlier than told) not to shabby for the price, just waiting for the little 35mm now, not the fastest at focusing in low light (I was already aware of this) and no viewfinder but I have an optical viewfinder for it (an old one) and for portraits and things well I could also get a wireless hook up to a tablet, fills the x10 it will be replacing with a few little extras.
25 Nov 2018 4:47PM
That little lens arrive today, a seriously fun little thing, looks really sweet on the Sony in this video.

25 Nov 2018 6:56PM
All in a nice little package.

599_1543172054.jpg

599_1543172083.jpg

What do you think of your Sony buy Rhody.
25 Nov 2018 9:46PM
Hi Paul - My delivery has been delayed by Amazon. It should have been ready for collection today but I had an email from them an hour ago saying it will now be arriving on Tuesday. Nothing I can do. Bit disappointed but not the end of the world. I did think it was a bit optimistic of them to say "Collect on Sunday" when I only ordered it on Black Friday.

Your Fuji looks stunning and that lens is a cracker.

I went to the London Camera Exchange Event in Southampton today at a local hotel and tried the Fuji Medium Format models. What a beautiful design and ergonomics. Sigh. I have a lot of time for Fuji cameras and lenses. If I'd gone home with a Fuji MF and one lens - I'd be a bachelor with immediate effect.
The Fuji guy did say they see a MF sensor as a natural progression for their customers from APS-C sensors. Very interesting.
Enjoy your new camera and lens. The best camera is always the one you have with you and your combo looks like it could go anywhere and still produce stunning results.
25 Nov 2018 10:10PM

Quote:Hi Paul - My delivery has been delayed by Amazon. It should have been ready for collection today but I had an email from them an hour ago saying it will now be arriving on Tuesday. Nothing I can do. Bit disappointed but not the end of the world. I did think it was a bit optimistic of them to say "Collect on Sunday" when I only ordered it on Black Friday

I ordered a new fridge/freezer Friday, delivery was set for Monday but have now got an update that it will be coming Tuesday, a bit annoying but like you, what can we do Smile

Quote:Your Fuji looks stunning and that lens is a cracker

Yeh it does like nice, balances really well with that little lens and the optical viewfinder could not have been a better match, they work well together.

No included battery charger but it did come with a usb plug and lead, not to bad since it doubles as a power lead to run the camera, handy for indoor use, portrait sessions etc.

The tablet app works well as well though not sure if it will have full functionality with a lens like this, will have to wait and see.
Chris_L Plus
4 4.9k United Kingdom
26 Nov 2018 2:40PM

Quote:The Fuji guy did say they see a MF sensor as a natural progression for their customers from APS-C sensors. Very interesting.
I think that makes sense. It's harder to justify going from one sensor size to the very next one up. You see more of a difference if you skip one - such as going from Micro Four Thirds to Full Frame, going from APS-C to Medium Format etc (as Fuji guys says).

Same is true of downsizing, size and weight difference is obviously a lot more if you go from FF to MFT plus going from mirrored to mirrorless does of course help to reduce size and weight even more.

At the minute it's all swings and roundabouts. What you gain on the size reduction swings you lose on the sensor capabilities roundabouts.

If MFT sensors ever get as good as full-frame sensors - high resolutions and lower noise, and they get the focus accuracy and speeds to match the best there'd be little reason to use anything else. The laws of physics stop total equivalence from happening but it's just computing power, AI and other tech that is holding other things back, and it's surely just a matter of time.

APS-C sensors will probably get there before MFT - investing in Fuji lenses is probably pretty wise as the bodies will keep improving.

I invested in a system that is better than I am. When I get a crap shot, and it happens all the time, it's completely my fault. Not the gear.

If you miss photos because of your kit, if your lenses let you down, if your camera fails to get the colours and the detail that your eyes saw or if you rarely take gear with you because it's too big then think about changing stuff.

Otherwise learn to post-process, to shoot raw, to light your scenes, to compose better photographs. That costs nothing, there's tons of free advice right here

Rethink the path from subject to print or to monitor. How many people upgrade bodies but keep the same mid-range zoom lenses? Upgrade the glass. If poor glass produces a poor image the best sensor in the world can only ever record what is projected on to it by that poor glass.

Loads of people can't bear to think about paying more than this for a single lens because it's way more costly than the camera they are putting it on. That's because it's way more important IMO. They sell those lenses at those prices because those lenses can do what the other ones can not.
26 Nov 2018 3:33PM
My Sony has arrived a day earlier than promised and is now being charged.
Cheers Chris_L (my wife however wants to hunt you down and have a little festive word in your shell like Grin)
She didn't fall for the line "What this old model? No, I've had it ages. Of course it's not new"
When she utters those words, about shoes and handbags I however have to accept it without question. Equality 2018 style.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.