Save 69% on inPixio Photo Studio 11 Ultimate (discount applied at checkout)

Cheap ink! Don't do it!

curlyfilm 16 139
8 Jun 2008 8:34PM
whay do i never listen!! after running out of ink in 4 of me cartridges on my canon ip5000, i thought i'd try a aftermarket ink company bought one of those seperate tank ones, which has tubes to the cartridges, after it leaked everywhere, including on all the pics i printed, and the colours no where as good as canon, back its gone!!!! a bottle of me wifes bet nail varnish remover to clean me printer and head, not forgetting me hands up with! a trip to buy some proper canon ink, and me prints are back A1 again, the blue skys are back in me pics! funny as i have never calibrated me laptop apart from using the adobe gamma thingy! i use ilford pearl paper or canon, and what i see on my screen is what comes out through me printer!
so lesson learnt! canon ink is best!!!
BubbaG2000 13 767 1
8 Jun 2008 9:20PM
Thankyou for the confirmation! I have heard a lot about people using cheap inks and regretting it. Although genuine canon inks are kind of pricey I think I will not take the risk!
cameracat 17 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
8 Jun 2008 10:25PM
MMMmmm Or a lesson in don't buy cheapo Continuos Inking Systems, I use a Fotospeed CIS system on my horrible Epson 2100, A3 printer......Complete with custom profiles made by Fotospeed, The results are extremely good......!

And tons cheaper than using Epson inks......!

I have set up several Canon printers straight from the box, And have to say they work without any messing about at all.....!

Are Canon inks that expensive...Our iP8500 is fairly reasonable, Specially compared to the Epson 2100.....!

If anyone else out there is considering a CIS ink system, Do yourselves a big favour, And don't get a cheap and nasty one of Ebay.......There is too much pain involved.

Check out Fotospeed.......And thier massive paper line, Fantastic after sales service, But don't expect them to be silly cheap...!
uggyy 15 2.1k 9 Scotland
9 Jun 2008 12:39AM
2nd that one... CIS Photospeed good.
SarahSmirh 12 1
23 Jun 2008 4:59PM
Well ,it depends ,coz there are some places which sell cheap cartridges but with good quality.Personally i used to buy my stuff online,for all kind of cartridges,i found them at Inkridges.com
( http://www.inkridges.com )
User_Removed 16 4.3k 2 United Kingdom
23 Jun 2008 5:06PM
I only use compatible inks.
Had a spot of bother tracking them down for my Canon Pixma iP5300 but ended up with the Armor cradle system which works really well.
I do however only print greetings cards, all photographs I get professionally printed.

As an aside - the genuine Canon inks are in a solid plastic tank so you can't see how much ink is left although you can hear if you rattle them.
The compatibles are in a see-through and the printer tells me the tank is empty when in fact it's still a quarter full in the reserve.
ellis rowell 16 2.0k United Kingdom
23 Jun 2008 10:20PM
I used to use an Epson Stylus C680, compatible cartridges worked very well. The trouble was that under Windows driver it was an awful photo printer. When I changed to Ubuntu (Linux) the CUPS driver was excellent and it produced very high quality photo prints.

I also have a Canon Pixma IP1600 which does very good photo prints with either Canon or compatible inks, under Windows. However it is useless under Ubuntu, Canon do not co-operate with the open source community. Their scanners are nearly as bad, so I shall avoid buying Canon products in future. Why would a manufacturer want to limit it's market like this?

Hewlett Packard do co-operate with open source, in that they supply a full database of their products with suitable drivers (it's called HPLIP). Their printer/scanners also work perfectly under Ubuntu.

I also had problems with a Brother DSC135 printer/scanner, couldn't solve the problem so gave it to my step daughter to use under Windows XP.
strawman 17 22.2k 16 United Kingdom
23 Jun 2008 10:25PM

Quote:Why would a manufacturer want to limit it's market like this?
Because the section of the market in question is tiny and prone to not using their profitable replacement cartridges and they subsidies the true cost of the printer in order to make money on the replacement cartridges? Smile

Just a guess.
ellis rowell 16 2.0k United Kingdom
26 Jun 2008 12:26AM
It's a very short sighted policy to not co-operate as the market is getting bigger now that the French National Assembly has changed over and the Gendarmerie is in the process of changing. It gives Epson and HP a head start on their competitors. The Gendarmerie expects to save 70,000,000 Euros per year on software. So there must be a sizeable market there, but then again, I expect that they would use laser printers anyway.
wasper 15 533 1 Ireland
26 Jun 2008 6:50AM

Quote:Whay do i never listen!! after running out of ink in 4 of me cartridges on my canon ip5000, i thought i'd try a aftermarket ink company bought one of those seperate tank ones, which has tubes to the cartridges, after it leaked everywhere, including on all the pics i printed, and the colours no where as good as canon, back its gone!!!! a bottle of me wifes bet nail varnish remover to clean me printer and head, not forgetting me hands up with! a trip to buy some proper canon ink, and me prints are back A1 again, the blue skys are back in me pics! funny as i have never calibrated me laptop apart from using the adobe gamma thingy! i use ilford pearl paper or canon, and what i see on my screen is what comes out through me printer!
so lesson learnt! canon ink is best!!!

I know the pain. I will never by refilled cartridges. I will stick to HP ones.
dcash29 15 2.4k England
26 Jun 2008 5:26PM
Cheap ink! Don't do it!

I use nothing else with great results

Dave

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.