Your chance to win a Nikon Z 50 Camera Kit!

Cheapest petrol near you!

debbiehardy 16 363 United Kingdom
29 Nov 2005 1:55PM
This great site will find the cheapest petrol prices in your local area.

Have a look here , put in where you live and it'll give you the updated cheapest prices near you.

To use the service you need to register, which is free. The company aims to make its money by referring you to its linked websites which are across the menu on the top.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

fruity 14 14
29 Nov 2005 1:59PM
ohhhhh cool thanks seeemmms i was paying too much i will drive down the road to shell now thanks
rodp 15 1.2k England
29 Nov 2005 2:03PM
Be warned, the cheapest pump price may not be the cheapest running costs. My vehicle (diesel) does app 3 to 4 mpg less on Sainsburys fuel than it does on Asda's,also the power seems less (hard to be accurate without a dyno). I was told some time age by a mate in the petro chemical industry that some fuels were "gassed up" to increase volume, don't know if there is any truth in the fact.
Rod
User_Removed 16 17.9k 8 Norway
29 Nov 2005 3:29PM
Thanks for that Debbie... Use to use the AA website until they wrapped it up...
djh698 16 6.2k 6 United Kingdom
29 Nov 2005 5:17PM
it"s about 40p/litre where I live in Canada and people think that is expensive
David
Fujiconvert 15 1.3k England
29 Nov 2005 10:11PM
From what I've read in the motoring press (and I don't know how true it is) the reason why fuel prices are cheaper in supermarkets is that they don't put the correct/enough additives in consequently it's cheaper but also wears the engine a lot more.For example the one I read was that a regular fill up from supermarkets (every time) would result in diesel engines needing new injectors prematurely.
I stand to be corrected of course but I've thrown it in as a relevant point.
Phil.
elowes 16 2.8k United Kingdom
29 Nov 2005 11:42PM
Phil

I don't know if you are right. It was one of those urban myths years ago and I will say that I thought that my car went better if I bought Shell.

I don't really think this to be true now. Most gagarges match the supermarket prices to within a penny or so. I use whatever fuel outlet I am near when I need to fill up and I am have not noticed any performance issues in my car.

The supermarkets like Tesco have the advantage of being able to discount a bit more because of bulk buying on the open market. Most give discounts for shoppers, using petrol as a loss leader on food purchases.

The franchised garages are now turning into mini markets because the profit on the sales of food products is far better than the petrol sales because of the high tax on petrol.
brian1208 17 11.8k 12 United Kingdom
30 Nov 2005 12:56AM
As has been said, the reason that supermarkets can sell fuel more cheaply than other outlets is that they use it as a "loss leader", subsidised from the profits they make on their primary product sales.

Regarding additives - the additive package does make a significant difference to the performance and smooth running of a car. It also makes a difference to its longevity.

poor lubricity in diesel fuel will cause rapid injector wear.

cheap diesel without a balanced detergent formulation will clag up the injectors

inferior petrol additives cause carbon depostion (particularly bad for turbos which can suffer seizure)

I worked in an R&D facility where others developed the latest fuels and I remember seeing the insides of test engines used to test them in the early '90s. The difference between the current supermarket fuel and the best "premium" fuels was dramatic.

The engines using the former were heavily fouled whereas the latter were still pristine.

Supermarkets now use additives packages but they will not be the same as (as effective) those used in the best fuels

edit:

this article may be of interest. It gives an overview of what additives are there for.
redsnappa 17 2.0k United Kingdom
30 Nov 2005 1:54AM
the myth thas supermarket petrol don't have enough or the correct additives is probably spread by Shell, BP and other major manufacturers.
Ade_Osman 17 4.5k 36 England
30 Nov 2005 1:59AM
I suspected that myself Redsnappa, until you use the damn stuff, I get more MPG and the engine seems to be a lot more responsive and quieter on Shell, rather than Asda fuel!

Ade
brian1208 17 11.8k 12 United Kingdom
30 Nov 2005 2:13AM

Quote:The myth thas supermarket petrol don't have enough or the correct additives is probably spread by Shell, BP and other major manufacturers

Some 10 or so years ago one of the supermarkets (who used no additives at the time) threatened to sue an oil major over just this type of story. The trouble was, the oil company concerned sent them the relevant test data, after which the case was dropped and the supermarket then started advertising that their fuel had "special additives".

The efficacy of additives in fuel and lubricants has been proven in many test cases, including the advertising standards agency. The science and technology is well established and information is available through open literature.

They work, some are better than others and its up to you whether you wish to buy products with them in.
stuwhitt 15 1.4k United Kingdom
30 Nov 2005 2:16AM
As a matter of principle I have stopped buying petrol from Tesco (there was a small matter of there being a 5p a litre difference between stores), I now almost excusively use Shell and I find that my car runs better and I get more from the tank, and I am now trying Shell Optimax and I am finding that even better, whats more the local Shell garage is normally cheaper than Tesco
Fujiconvert 15 1.3k England
30 Nov 2005 8:45AM
Try this www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/faq.htm?id=46
it may shed some light on the situation.
Phil.
arnieg 16 704 England
30 Nov 2005 9:00AM
tried this today went to the cheapest garage on the list 3p a liter cheaper than i have been paying
thats cheaper than tesco unless i want to spend 50
on food
arnie

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.