Get 5% off Loupedeck CT with code: Ephotozine5

Chester

Sezz 15 619 15 England
30 Apr 2008 11:26PM
I'm going to Chester for the bank holiday weekend and of course I will be taking the camera. I have been to Chester a few times and really like the city and Cathedral but are there any little gems you know of that I really shouldn't miss? I'm hoping to visit Little Moreton Hall and possibly go out of my comfort zone and visit Chester Zoo, other than that I'd be grateful for your thoughts.

Thanks in advance
Sarah x
MrsS 14 4.5k 18 England
30 Apr 2008 11:39PM
Hi Sarah, you won't be too far from the Gormleys or New Brighton Lighthouse, drop me a PM if you fancy meeting up Smile

Fran x
Sezz 15 619 15 England
30 Apr 2008 11:50PM
Thanks Fran, I hadn't thought of New Brighton, will certainly keep that in mind!

Sarah *
riggwelter 13 165 United Kingdom
30 Apr 2008 11:57PM
Chester - New Brighton.

You must be coming from a long way off if you think they are close!

Why not do a Grand tour of the North West?
Sezz 15 619 15 England
1 May 2008 12:02AM
Chester to New Brighton just under half an hour according to Auto-route - not far for a shoot in my opinion. I'm in kent so that's why I'm asking?
Anthony 19 5.6k 17 United Kingdom
1 May 2008 12:09AM
Chester is really nice, its a very picturesque place. Also, about an hour away is Iron Bridge, Telford. Chester Zoo is ok, New Brighton, highly recommended, lol. Also, you have Parkgate, west Kirby, Hoylake. Liverpool is worth a visit too, the Albert Dock, the Liver Building's. As Fran said, the Gormleys at Crosby.

How long you coming up for? Think you can fit it all in?

You will find plenty of interest just in Chester to be honest. Head down to the River Dee, some lovely walks along the Chester walls, the centre is all shopping though.

Whatever you decide, have fun.

Anthony
riggwelter 13 165 United Kingdom
1 May 2008 1:11AM

Quote:Chester to New Brighton just under half an hour according to Auto-route - not far for a shoot in my opinion. I'm in kent so that's why I'm asking?

Traffic may say otherwise.

Seriously though, if you have the time there are better places than New Brighton!
mad-dogs 18 2.2k England
1 May 2008 8:15AM
Search Alamy.com for "chester" and you will see what Chester has to offer.

Chester Heritage tours runs tours on a replica open top omnibus -some great photo opportunities as it passes the tudor architecture of Chester.

A walk around the wall will give you plenty of opportunities - especially around the Eastgate clock. The picturesque tudor Bear & Billet pub by Bridegate is where John Lennons grandmother was born.
The canal area around Telfords Warehouse and Magic Park ( Water Tower Park ) are close to Northgate and can be seen from the wall.

Beeston and Peckforton Castles are not too far away.

There are plenty of buskers. Ed Alleyne Johnson used to busk in Chester with his purple electric violin and was a great attraction for shoppers and tourists.

Llangollen is around 20 miles away. A picturesque Welsh village where the International Eisteddfod is held each year. The River Dee flows through the village, the Llangollen canal terminates here and the castle above the village has tremendous views.

Delamere forest is close by and has Go Ape ... if you have an urge to swing through the treetops on ladders, zip wires and ropeways! Or you can walk around Blakemere and admire the birdlife.
Sezz 15 619 15 England
1 May 2008 8:52AM
Good morning,

Fran, Richard, Anthony and Dave thank you so much for your time and ideas. You have given me plenty to think about, Peckforton Castle and Llangollen sounds good as does spending the whole day in Chester! If it was just up to me I'd try and do everthing, perhaps not the 'Go Ape' thing though Wink Unfortunately have to fit some work in too!

Thanks again - appreciated!
Sarah x
stevie 16 1.2k 2 United Kingdom
1 May 2008 9:15AM
.....and then there's the superbikes at Oulton Park...
Sezz 15 619 15 England
1 May 2008 9:19AM
Thanks Stevie - my friend lives near Oulton Park, now if it were racing cars instead of bikes...... Wink

Sarah x
guidoa 19 1.4k United Kingdom
1 May 2008 9:19AM
Any one thinking about the Gormleys needs to consult he tide tables- high water (at which time they are submerged) is about 3 hrs after Liverpool.
pepperst 13 2.3k 4 Wales
1 May 2008 10:09AM
Little Moreton is on the other side of Cheshire though, wrong way off the m6 and could slow your approach to chester with the current roadworks.

Llan is nice, the castle is supposed to have nice views (clouded in last time I went up). Chirk is another nice spot, good castel and aquaduct views.

If you are around at lunch time I can give directions to several fantastic pubs in the borders area.

Ewloe castle near chester is nice as well, bit of a lost woodland one and not well known. Beeston has good views but is EH, Peckforton is a private hotel now but if you get on the hills the views are great of both and of Joderal Bank.

When is bank holiday monday?

Should we set up a Chester meet, there are enough of us around here I think.
Sezz 15 619 15 England
1 May 2008 10:16AM
Thanks Steve, some more good ideas, not heard of Ewloe Castle. Thanks re the info about Little Moreton. Bank holiday is this Monday I believe.
Regarding a meet - I am a bit tied, got some work to do and family to see but if you want to go ahead feel free and I'll see if I can make it Smile

Sarah x
pepperst 13 2.3k 4 Wales
1 May 2008 10:35AM
Oh yeah May day, doh!

Is anyone else up for meeting in Chester or is it to short notice (thought we had a couple of weeks when I suggested it).

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.