Chh Chh Chh Changes

Pete Plus
18 18.8k 97 England
4 Nov 2019 9:32PM
Just an observation on a couple of things that have always been close to me - music and photography. I was in Meadowhall today (Large shopping centre in the outskirts of Sheffield) I havent been in for about a year and headed to my usual haunts - WH Smiths to check out the photo magazines and HMV to have a browse at CDs. I no longer buy physical music but still check out album covers to see if I've missed anything that's not been flagged up by various social media / online media player recommendations.

Firstly WH Smiths was a shock...magazine have always been their main focus as long as I can remember. Up front and proud. Now they're right at the back of the store. But more interesting when i found them was the vast array of photo titles. In a world where you can find anything out via site like ePHOTOzine or Youtube I cant see how this part of the industry has survived, let alone grown. Many are the newer products they call "bookazines" probably so they can justify such a high price. It's magazine format but perfect bound and much chunkier with a hefty price tag. Does anyone here buy these?

Second shock was their book section. Once home to a mass of titles on all kinds of photography technique and hardware, there were now just eight books crammed in amongst other arts and crafts subjects. And, for the first time since I've been involved in publishing, not one Lee Frost book!

Over to HMV...I know there's the re-surge in vinyl, but its taken over most of their music section now. Most artists seem to have a vinyl release. I wonder if the bubble will burst? I feel we've gone backwards! I saw a new thing on Brian Eno's Discreet Music. Once a single 33.3 speed lp it's now released recorded and played at half the speed so it stretches out over two lps. Will the quality be that much better? There will be twice as many crackles . Is vinyl here to stay or just another extended fad. Are you buying vinyl again or just continuing from where you left off in the late 80s when it died last time?

Something for debate.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Chris_L 5 5.3k United Kingdom
4 Nov 2019 9:51PM
Step daughter was curious about records, I hooked up an old turntable for her, then her mother and I saw a huge box of records for sale, included some classic LPs and dance 12" singles (some of which she knew). I got her a gatefold Stevie Wonder Songs In The Key of Life from ebay, Thriller and something else I don't recall. That was her 17th birthday, a couple of years ago.

She didn't really play it that much. It's so much easier for her to use her phone. I wanted her to have the experience of putting an album on and listening to it from start to end while she was doing college work or texting on her phone.

Has she missed out on something? I don't know - I listen digitally now, spend ages in MusicBee making auto playlists, rating songs etc. I used to make compilation tapes rather than put up with somebody else's choice of track order.

When I go in the loft I look through my records just for old time's sake. I loved the physicality of it but not the inconvenience.

I wonder if the people buying vinyl find they appreciate the experience more.

A pal has a large CD jukebox, at New Year we were taking turns programming it with four or so songs at a time. That really made me think about my choices and play order, couldn't easily skip them like an mp3 and they were going to be heard by everyone in the house.

I don't think we lost much when we went from VHS and DVD to Netflix. We lost something when we stopped buying LPs though.
JJGEE 14 7.6k 18 England
4 Nov 2019 10:07PM
I have bought a couple of those " bookazines " and are really just a collection of articles from their monthly magazines.
But they are very good for reference / ideas , especially as I do not buy magazines on a regular basis.

Amateur Photographer / Camera Weekly / Practical Photography / British Journal Of Photography ( BJP ) / Outdoor Photography were my regular purchases for many a year !

There is one newspaper that I have yet to find in WH Smith, only available in my local camera shop or a digital online version

Photo News is free and has a couple of very familiar names on the Team..... Will Cheung & Roger Payne

Fma7 4 1.0k United Kingdom
4 Nov 2019 11:03PM
I bought my daughter, then 17, a turntable and a record by her favourite band at the time (at an extortionate price, although it was a picture disc) and gave them to her, only to be greeted by "how does it work then?"

"Well you take the big vinyl disc and put it on the circular bit, line up the holes though, then lift the arm...."
5 Nov 2019 12:23AM
Actually I think that's how it came about with my stepdaughter, the band she liked were The 1975 and they had a very pricey vinyl deal where you got a code (I think) to let you download the mp3s of the songs and a big placca disc wrapped in cardboard to store the code on!
Carabosse 16 41.3k 270 England
5 Nov 2019 3:25AM
I have several hundreds of CDs I never listen to. They just take up valuable space and I have pondered getting rid of them... but can't quite bring myself to do it. Heaven knows why.

MP3/AAC files streamed via Bluetooth at home, and via an SD card in the car, has become such a way of life over the past 6-7 years that using physical media just seems weird and inconvenient.

Even listening to music on the radio has changed, with internet streaming (of stations without annoying talking and ads Tongue) is becoming the norm for me.

Big Bri 18 16.5k United Kingdom
5 Nov 2019 8:31AM
I still often buy "physical" music because at Amazon the CD + free download can be cheaper than the download - crazy right?

I just got latest Feeder album, and went to a signing where lots of people had bought the vinyl version (in fact it was hosted at a shop in Marlborough called Sound Knowledge who are passionate about vinyl). I'd rather pay for the CD and get to meet the band (who did a 45 minute acoustic set in the cafe next to the shop) than just download or stream.

(Also went to see them at the O2 Academy in Oxford last night Smile )

I used to buy a lot of photography mags, but finally weaned myself off them. Apart from kit reviews, everything else in them seemed to be the same old same old, recycling itself every year or two. No point religiously buying PP every month for reviews of kit you don't want, and which you can find online anyway.
Pete Plus
18 18.8k 97 England
5 Nov 2019 8:38AM

Quote:I wonder if the people buying vinyl find they appreciate the experience more.

I think you could be right. Many of the current record players are cheap plastic things in flash looking casing. I cant imagine many are considering which stylus to attach to ensure maximum performance.

Quote:We lost something when we stopped buying LPs though.

For me the main loss was extreme weight and bulk, crackles, inconvenience.

Quote:But they are very good for reference / ideas

And those ideas cannot be gleaned from online visits?

Quote:how does it work then

Haha, but when she found out...she had a good experience and still uses and buys?

Quote:where you got a code (I think) to let you download the mp3s

This is a regular option...and another thing that makes me think they're possibly not buying to play the vinyl.

Quote: They just take up valuable space and I have pondered getting rid of them

Most of mine are on discogs, sites like music magpie have shattered any value, so only value now is emotional attachment,

Talking of selling. My bother died last year and i was asked to sell his vinyl. I got 230 for a mono version of the Beatles Let It Be. I wonder if the new stuff will have value in 50 years.
Knowing i was "into music" a neighbor asked me to look at some stuff he'd found in his garage. I more or less dismissed his 78s thinking no one would buy them. Yet on ebay Hound dog by Elvis Presley, and the bloke who sung champion the wonder horse are still selling.

Quote:the CD + free download can be cheaper than the download

Incredible!!!
Big Bri 18 16.5k United Kingdom
5 Nov 2019 8:45AM

Quote:For me the main loss was extreme weight and bulk, crackles, inconvenience.

Absolutely. Even with a Linn deck, a crackly record is still gonna be crackly Smile
JJGEE 14 7.6k 18 England
5 Nov 2019 9:15AM

Quote:And those ideas cannot be gleaned from online visits?

Possibly.

But for me browsing through a magazine, book, newspaper is preferable than searching / reading online and you may stumble across something that never occurred to search for.

However, online is good ( You Tube ) for video reviews of camera equipment and how to set them up, so many options these days !
Online tutorials / webinars are also excellent for learning processing software.

SlowSong Plus
11 8.4k 30 England
5 Nov 2019 9:35AM
I find it difficult to read on-line mags and much prefer paper, although I only get Black and White Photography and AP. They are portable and easier to just browse through as and when. As JJGEE says, on line is great for tutorials and equipment demos (except for the waffly ones who take an hour to get the equipment out of the box).
andybebbs 11 591 1 England
5 Nov 2019 9:53AM
still buy records now and then and have a big collection which i still play, I grew up with records and love the feel and look of them as well as the sound i also have cd`s as well as downloads on my pc so use them all and enjoy them all.
Andy
andart 17 520 United Kingdom
5 Nov 2019 11:50AM
I get all my magazines and 'bookazines' on Readly.
Saves tonnes of trees every year!
5 Nov 2019 12:33PM
I think it's really profound - but I can't really get anyone else to see it how I do - that we, our generation, are the only ones that stride the digital divide.

We actually regularly used analogue stuff like records, cassette tapes, typewriters, VHS recorders, film cameras etc for real when they were the norm.

Kids see them on retro movies and in museums.

Unlike our grandparents, we are also experienced and comfortable at using digital, we've embraced laptops, mobile devices, mp3s, digital SLRs, YouTube etc.

We have a place in history as the only humans to have practical knowledge of both analog and digital.
Pete Plus
18 18.8k 97 England
5 Nov 2019 1:59PM

Quote:We have a place in history as the only humans to have practical knowledge of both analog and digital

Its been an interesting few decades years for sure!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.