Chh Chh Chh Changes

JJGEE 14 7.6k 18 England
5 Nov 2019 2:20PM
I see this week's edition of Amateur Photographer has an article " How To Set Up A Darkroom "
It appears the LPL enlargers & Ilford Multigrade paper are still around Smile

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Pete Plus
18 18.8k 97 England
5 Nov 2019 5:31PM

Quote:It appears the LPL enlargers & Ilford Multigrade paper are still around

Yes and at a bargain price!!!!
LPL Enlarger
MentorRon 1 73 Canada
5 Nov 2019 5:39PM
I only listen to MP3s from my car's in-dash storage system and on walks, using my MP3 player and Sony earbuds. These tracks I just copied from my CDs at 192k.
I listen to vinyl a couple times a year: my wife's old LPs and my own used LPs that I have bought at Thrift stores for 50 cents each. I have only bought items that I could not find easily or at all on CD since I sold my entire audio/video system and vinyl collection on a household move in 1992: they now are only 1950s-60s artists whose LPs never made it onto CD (or were not available here). Although I had a half-decent turntable/arm/cartridge combo in the 20th century, I opted to buy an inexpensive turntable with static arm and moving coil cartridge with optional elliptical stylus this time. It has the feature of a USB connection for conversion to digital. It suffices for the rare times I listen to them (much less than I thought I would). These are all "popular" music LPs of the time: no classical.
old:
319285_1572974831.jpg

new:
319285_1572974605.jpg

My main music collection (about 500+ CDs) is mostly classical, which I play through 1990s equipment. I have auditioned newer equipment in the sound rooms of many local high-end hi-fi stores, but have never been impressed enough to upgrade until I learn the cost of the upgrade costs the same as a small car Wink . As I am a pensioner, that doesn't work too well for me (I do like to eat and have shelter Wink
Main system (1990s vintage):
319285_1572975135.jpg

319285_1572975148.jpg

319285_1572975162.jpg

I do have a few photography books: one specifically for my Sony SLT-a58 camera (an after-market detailed manual), and another about cameras and photo techniques: fairly basic but up-to-date. These I bought so I can peruse them at my leisure without having to sit at a computer or squint at my cellphone. The Sony book was bought online and the photo book at a local thrift store. They have modernized our main bookstore, but we don't like it's new layout. Also many items they used to have in stock now have to be ordered from them online. That space is now taken up with household items, gifts, and tablet sales.
SlowSong Plus
11 8.4k 30 England
5 Nov 2019 9:12PM
I have an original retro Ferguson player. It looks good but i never use it. For sale if anyone wants it.
Big Bri 18 16.5k United Kingdom
6 Nov 2019 8:32AM

Quote:We have a place in history as the only humans to have practical knowledge of both analog and digital.

One of my kids (who thinks I'm a dinosaur) said to me she was amazed I understood the internet. I very calmly explained that I understood it because my generation built it. (and I'm actually paid to do web development Wink )
keithh 15 25.5k 33 Wallis And Futuna
6 Nov 2019 2:19PM
Imagine the day when the kids listen to how grandad used to have a car that you put petrol in.

“What even is petrol?”
gcarth Plus
15 3.3k 1 United Kingdom
9 Nov 2019 10:32AM

Quote:Absolutely. Even with a Linn deck, a crackly record is still gonna be crackly
That's right.
Having said that, it could be argued that provided you look after your records, a Linn deck will provide you with even better sound than you get with CD's on an equally expensive CD player.

I'm quite amazed how the vinyl craze has caught on. Only those audiophiles who lavish great care on their records and have plenty of money to buy expensive decks will benefit from any higher sound quality that vinyl might provide.
I suppose it's all subjective. I mean a lot of people prefer the sound of vinyl, regardless of the fidelity of the sound. Others prefer the background silence and lack of distortion of digital music.
I have a vinyl copy of Miles Davis's "Kind of Blue" and a CD copy of the same album: My CD player cost more than my vinyl deck which is a Project - a poor man's Linn! I have to say that I prefer the vinyl disc sound quality: It's more dynamic.
Big Bri 18 16.5k United Kingdom
9 Nov 2019 11:54AM
I wonder if the new craze for vinyl is mostly people going back to it, or younger people discovering it for the first time ?
gcarth Plus
15 3.3k 1 United Kingdom
9 Nov 2019 12:17PM

Quote:I wonder if the new craze for vinyl is mostly people going back to it, or younger people discovering it for the first time ?
I suppose it could be a bit of both. Whatever, the case, I suspect you - as you say - younger people might find it appealing because they have discovered it for the first time.
Then there is the possibility that others are influenced by nostalgia in the same way that some photographers still like using film.
Chris_L 5 5.3k United Kingdom
10 Nov 2019 3:27PM
I think vinyl had got a coolness about it because of middle-class hipsters putting it on at dinner parties and the young liked it because up until recently most big name DJs were using vinyl.

There are audiophiles who claim that vinyl's quality is better than digital. Some of the same audiophiles claim that a £300 mains power lead will improve the treble in an orchestral recording. Writing plenty of reviews of those for the hifi press it's sad that so far none of them will prove their auditory skills to discern different cables (including HDMI cables) in blind tests - tests where they don't know the brand in advance.

You can pay more than 300 for a mains cable, how about these for you big spenders? Or if you're on a budget there's this kettle lead Grin

I think it's probably that some people simply prefer the sound of (warm?) analog when compared to clinical, (cold?) accurate digital.

The things you could do with vinyl, as a dj, that you couldn't do mixing with CD-J type decks have slowly disappeared.

Now the resolution of the jog wheels means that on the best digital controllers just the slightest pressure on the side of the wheel from the DJ's thumb will slow that deck down in the same way that an SL1200 would slow down.

Added to that software like Serato which works with decks from many manufacturers plus prices as low as this the entry level for aspiring djs is way below what it ever was when CDJs first appeared. Cheaper in fact than two SL1200s (or clone) vinyl decks and a decent mixer. And now the price of the records and transporting them (USB stick) is significantly lower.

If I was going to buy an mp3 album and saw it for the same price in a shop as a digital download voucher attached to a vinyl record in a real cover I'd buy the record.

For old times' sake.
gcarth Plus
15 3.3k 1 United Kingdom
10 Nov 2019 3:53PM

Quote:Some of the same audiophiles claim that a £300 kettle lead will improve the treble in an orchestral recording.
Well, as I said before, these things are objective; I have a "200" 'kettle lead' and it definitely improves the sound to my ear - not just the treble, either.
I also find the same improvements by employing more expensive 'audiophile' speaker and amp connect leads.
That said, there soon becomes a point of diminishing returns when it is just silly or too extravagant and expensive to improve a hi-fi set up any more.
MentorRon 1 73 Canada
10 Nov 2019 5:32PM
The only "snake oil" concept I have applied to my main 2 channel audio system (see my previous post above) is bi-wiring, as my power amp and speakers allowed it and Martin-Logan engineers encouraged it. Below diagram from their owner's manual:
319285_1573405789.jpg

Yes, I used inexpensive Radio Shack 12 gauge speaker wire, not esoteric cabling, but I "feel" their is a slight improvement. I also found that interconnect cabling between my CD player and preamp did seem to have minor effects on the treble, but again it was without the ability to do immediate A-B comparisons: it was similar to the difference between the outputs of the Philips and Sony players in my smaller "man cave" (garage) system. There I keep both players connected as there are a small number of CDs which seem better (to me) on one over the other, so neither player has an edge.
319285_1573406454.jpg

It's interesting how "psychologically" a person can convince themselves of these very small perceived differences, and become happy with their specific choices. It IS only lengths of copper wire (supposedly "oxygen-free") ...
I still prefer either system over my old (1980s) Dynavector/SME/Thorens/Dynaco/B&W vinyl system.
Chris_L 5 5.3k United Kingdom
10 Nov 2019 6:39PM
I am surprised at you Garth buying a kettle lead, surely you'd have to upgrade the mains wiring throughout the house or the National Grid, not just the last 2 feet of wiring?

Unless it's a mains cleaner you have?

I agree on the need for decent quality interconnects. My amp and speakers support bi-wiring but I honestly can't tell the difference.

That doesn't mean that I don't think a difference exists, but I listen to very little classical or vocal stuff. I like rock, pop, disco, soul and electronica.

The noise I have to fight is introduced by using the PC as a source.

Anyone tried one of these to clean the sound up? (Pictured below). Thinking of getting something like that, if not that model then something else to kill ground loops. The kind of interference you hear when you move the mouse, when the gfx card displays a different colour or a new window opens.

250184_1573411083.jpg

thewilliam2 2 1.3k
10 Nov 2019 8:13PM
Back in the 1970s I went for an unsuccessful job interview at Boots HQ as a techie in their Electrical Quality Control section.

The day before my visit, an old dear had taken back a cheapie record player for replacement under warranty for a second time. She lived in Nottingham so they invited her into the QC lab to experience the different qualities of sound system. They had a system where various components could be switched in from the cheap n'orrible to the best that money could buy. This old dear was happy with the basic amplifier and mid-price speakers but only the Linn Sondeck record-player was good enough. She had no idea what kit she was hearing but could detect the imperfections in all cheaper decks. It turned out that she was a retired music teacher!

Whereas hi-fi reviewers needed to look at the price-tag before passing comment, a musically trained ear can instantly tell the difference!
gcarth Plus
15 3.3k 1 United Kingdom
10 Nov 2019 8:56PM

Quote:I am surprised at you Garth buying a kettle lead, surely you'd have to upgrade the mains wiring throughout the house or the National Grid, not just the last 2 feet of wiring?
Well, that's what I would have thought but apparently the last few feet of quality cable can make a difference. That said, there's no question that upgrading the mains wiring throughout the the house makes a further improvement and would probably make as much if not more difference than fancy cd players or amps. However, I do have a mains conditioner in the set up.

Quote:Whereas hi-fi reviewers needed to look at the price-tag before passing comment, a musically trained ear can instantly tell the difference!
Yes, I think if a hi-fi set up sounds musical and dynamic, that's what counts - as opposed to a clean but cold clinical sound that digital sound sometimes produces. I have to say, though, that since cd's first came out in the 1980's, they've improved a lot
(I mean the cd's themselves and especially the cd players).

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.