Amazon Music Unlimited Offer: 3-Months For FREE!

Choosing a dig cam

22 Feb 2002 6:06PM
I am used to a Pentax Spotmatic which was true TTL focussing, exposure setting and composition. What you saw you got without parallax or image-cutting. This is what I want from a digital camera for which I am prepared to go up to 850. I also want at least 3x optical zoom. I want some weight to it also. Serious battery and serious Mb storage. Nothing under 4 Megapixel either. Any suggestions plz. Bruce +++
Katie 20 76
1 Mar 2002 9:45AM
Hi,
Try using the Product Finder in the Specifications Compared section of digital cameras
https://www.ephotozine.com/equipment/viewproduct.cfm?recid=1&type=1
Here you can enter the criteria you are looking to match and this facility should be of help to you.
Could you let me know how you get on with this facility!
2 Mar 2002 1:02PM
I did this and got no matches. I then removed most of the ticks and amazingly only got one match. Problems was I am too green and did not understand the questions re the tick boxes. For example I can tick TTL metering and did so so I ticked all the rest too. Same with exposure and focussing. This your reply then Katie? Bruce+++
Stephen 19 33
5 Mar 2002 12:34PM
To some extent with a digital camera you get WYSIWYG, as you have the LCD screen. Parallax is only a problem on closeups using the viewfinder. So if you want something of the weight of your Spotmatic, you are I suspect going to have to pay more than 850.

Have you considered the Canon G2 628 from
http://www.internetcamerasdirect.co.uk/digital-camera-brands-Canon.htm

My brother has one. He never uses the viewfinder, and has never had the battery run out on him during a days shoot, beleive me he can give it some stick!

It seems to have everything you need but of course is not an SLR, but why should that be a problem? You will be amazed at the quality of the images from a digicam such as the G2 and you will wonder why you didn't stop using the Spotmatic ages ago Smile

Stephen

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.