GB Sports Photographer & The Panasonic LUMIX S1

Choosing Photo Paper

Nick_w Plus
12 4.3k 99 England
13 Feb 2014 5:59PM
I have recently moved to Canon for printing (Pixma Pro 10). To date I'm happy but I want to take my printing to the next level. I currently use Spectrums Pinnacle Fibre Gloss Paper - which despite the description is more of a lustre. Which I'm reasonably happy with. It is claimed by Spectrum to be similar to Hahnemuhle Fine Art Baryta 325 and Hahnemuhle Fine Art Pearl 285gsm. I have checked it versus the Pearl and it is very very similar (I couldn't see any difference - bar the paper may be a fraction brighter).

I dont want high gloss but a satin / matt finish look, but must be able to produce good contrast, and have great black detail.

Trying to decipher which papr to go for from websites is virtually impossible, there doesn't seem to be much guidance given.

I'm looking to produce a mix of mono and colour prints - what other fine art papers would you recommend I try and why (Im not bothered if the papers are different for colour/mono)? I will be trying sample packs but need to narrow it down a bit, and don't really want to pay Hehnemuhle prices if I dont have to (I would suspect they dont make all their own papers anyway).

Whilst profiles supplied by the manufacturer would be great for evaluaton - for long term use I will be using my own custom made profiles.

Are OBA's important (or more accuratly the lack of)? Particulary if the Blue wool scale is high (6+)? They seem to be used predominantly in alpha cellulose papers (wood pulp) but some cotton papers (rag??) seem to also contain them - even from Hehnemuhle & Canson. I appreciate they may look slightly different under different light sources.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Dave_Canon 13 1.6k United Kingdom
13 Feb 2014 6:52PM
I suspect that particular ink/paper/printer combinations work well for certain images and some experimentation is needed. I have also found it useful to look at paper at the NEC as several of the sellers have examples by amateur photographers that they sponsor. This can be particularly useful if you are familiar with their photographs. I have been using Epsom Premium Glossy for gloss finish but have recently been recommended to use Tecco Glossy Ultra White and so far it seems very good (and much cheaper). For Matte I use Tecco Matt but only for colour as it has excellent colour rendition. For B&W I often use pinnacle Fine Art Cotton Rag but also like Hahnemuhle German Etching but the latter is very expensive. I sometimes use Permajet Artist and Papyrus for B&W. So you are right to experiment but, if you are going to the NEC do take a look at Tecco paper (German I believe). I think the company selling it in the UK is Lion but not sure. Tecco also have many other paper types but only those two have really appealed to me. I should just add that I use an Epson R2880 and the sample Tecco prints I saw were also printed on a 2880/3880 so this helped enormously.

Dave
LesF 13 182 9
13 Feb 2014 6:53PM
Canson Platine Fibre Rag is very good as a lustre type paper, works well with both colour and black and white, but is towards the upper price scale.
Another good one that takes colour and black white well is Fotospeed Platinum Lustre, (EG fine art paper) it's more in the medium price range.
Nick_w Plus
12 4.3k 99 England
13 Feb 2014 6:57PM
Thanks Les and Dave Smile

Just checked the Canson one Les, it's cheaper than what I'm currently using may just give it a whirl.
RoyBoy 15 303 2 United Kingdom
13 Feb 2014 8:55PM
Permajet fibre based Royale is a lovely paper that would meet your criteria I think
Nick_w Plus
12 4.3k 99 England
13 Feb 2014 9:20PM
Thanks Roy. Out of interest I have just printed a sample of Hehnemuhle Photo Rag 310 .. all I will say is this printing is going to get expensive as I love the result, far more shadow detail
seahawk 12 1.3k United Kingdom
14 Feb 2014 9:33AM
I use Pinnacle Lustre 300gsm in both A4 and A3 sizes on a Canon Pixma Pro 100. I realise this is dye printer not pigment, but so far I have not found a paper to match it for performance and I include some big brands in that. I have not tried Hahnemuhle though I know they are very good. Just as a matter of interest, I discovered by chance last week that a local printing firm uses Pinnacle paper as well - quite a testimonial!
brian1208 16 11.5k 12 United Kingdom
14 Feb 2014 10:12AM

Quote:Permajet fibre based Royale is a lovely paper that would meet your criteria I think

Roy, I've been testing a box of their A3 paper and agree it produces excellent prints but I have found that it has very bad edge curl which even after I have tried to remove it by reverse bending the paper still causes edge strike now and then with my R3000.

Have you run up against this or do I have a bad box?
Nick_w Plus
12 4.3k 99 England
14 Feb 2014 5:14PM
Thanks everyone.
RoyBoy 15 303 2 United Kingdom
14 Feb 2014 7:01PM
I have not come up against paper curl with this paper but I have with others. The problem is easily solved however but just turning over the corners of the paper in the opposite direction.
brian1208 16 11.5k 12 United Kingdom
14 Feb 2014 7:11PM

Quote:The problem is easily solved however but just turning over the corners of the paper in the opposite direction

Yep, I tried that! Grin

Quote:I have tried to remove it by reverse bending the paper still causes edge strike now and then with my R3000.

chase Plus
14 1.2k 264 England
14 Feb 2014 9:18PM

Quote:Permajet fibre based Royale is a lovely paper

Lovely paper,no edge curl here Brian.
Try a couple of tester boxes Nick,Permajet do some good mixes,so do Fotospeed.
Nick_w Plus
12 4.3k 99 England
14 Feb 2014 9:32PM
Thanks Janet I will do, I'm determined to get the printing spot on as I'm wanting to enter more print sections in Salons.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.