Chromatic Aberration

puertouk 8 1.1k 17 United Kingdom
29 Apr 2015 10:41AM
Hi guys,
We all come across the dreaded chromatic aberration in our work, but I have come across this handy tip to get rid of it if you find Lightroom or Photoshop cannot remove it. This is from Jimmy McIntyre , who is really clever and anyone who wants to improve there images I strongly advise you to take a look at him. Here is a way to remove the chromatic aberration:

If you find that Adobe Camera RAW or Lightroom couldn’t remove CA in your images, simply duplicate your image, go to Filter>Blur>Gaussian Blur, choose a radius of around 20, and press OK. Change the Blend Mode of this layer to Colour, and place a black mask on it to make it invisible. From there, simply paint over the areas with CA using a white brush, and voila! no more CA!

Hope this helps you all.
Stephen

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

29 Apr 2015 11:40AM
I do it simpler way. Lightroom has very good means to deal with CA. On some occasions where that's not enough I have another trick to perform.

Since the fringing is usually purple or (less often) has some different single colour I just go to the colour luminocity/saturation adjustment and simply grey out the colour and match it to the background in luminocity. Purple is rarely terribly important in the image, and if it is - CA controls allow to change it to some other shade. Sure, it is not such a clear and precise solution as above, but much simpler, quicker and often does the job.

Cheers!
puertouk 8 1.1k 17 United Kingdom
30 Apr 2015 1:11PM
Thanks for that Michael, every little bit helps

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.