Save 50% on inPixio Photo Studio Pro

Chromebooks

cats_123 Plus
17 5.0k 30 Northern Ireland
20 Jul 2020 7:52PM
Is anyone using a Chromebook (Acer?) Trying to wean myself off the PC AND Lightroom (only have version 4). Now that I have a camera with WiFi it makes more sense to edit off PC.

I want something I can carry away on holiday too

I will still be uploading to Alamy (I need to recheck the file sizes they accept)
Max budget 400

Any suggestions/thoughts

Grateful as always
Jeff
cats_123 Plus
20 Jul 2020 9:59PM
I'vee resolved my own queries...
andart 19 535 United Kingdom
22 Jul 2020 1:33PM
I'd be interested to know what you decided on Jeff - I am thinking about Affinity on an Ipad for my travels, I already use Affinity on my PC. I also upload to Alamy. I need something I can process raw files on without accessing cloud storage as I am often without internet connection.
cheers, Andy
cats_123 Plus
22 Jul 2020 2:16PM
Hi Andy

I decided that I wanted the flexibility of touchscreen apps as well as a keyboard...so I went for an ASUS C423...from John Lewis...230... couldn't reach the dizzy heights of iPads 😀😀

It should be arriving tomorrow, so after I've had a play Ill give some feedback on here..

I've tried Affinity, and didn't go ahead because of the lack of storage that you get with LR...but may give it another try...

I can't/ won't pay Adobe's figures...

Regards Jeff
22 Jul 2020 2:41PM
Thanks for your feedback Jeff, which apps will you use for processing your pics?
Look forward to hearing how you get on with the Asus.

cheers, Andy
cats_123 Plus
22 Jul 2020 2:54PM
I'm currently using Snapseed and/ or Photoeditor ( part of Google family. I believe) but would like something like LR that can sit on my tablet/ Chromebook. I really only use LR (version 4) on my PC when I need direct access to Alamy.

I've watching some tutorials for my (new) EM10 MKII and wondering whether I really need to use RAW ???

Haven't uploaded to Alamy for a few weeks, but a recent $$$ sale has reinvigorated the potential. I have a short break to Amsterdam booked in September, so need to get my thoughts and workflow straight before then😀😀
22 Jul 2020 4:10PM

Quote: wondering whether I really need to use RAW ?

I recently upgraded to a Panasonic GX9 (still on the learning curve) and am currently shooting Raw and Jpeg - my last update to Alamy was mostly 'out of camera' jpeg, I do resort to Raw where I've blown highlights etc.

cats_123 Plus
23 Jul 2020 8:16PM
The Chromebook arrived...nice looking machine, although s new learning curve...but I couldn't get my camera to communicate with it...I've decided to return it...

Now I can't make up my mind !!!

I might just have to fall back on a high spec tablet.

Paul Morgan 19 19.5k 6 England
24 Jul 2020 12:47AM
I have both an 8" and 10" fire tablet, I don`t edit on them by find that they make pretty good photo viewers, work with most of my camera`s wireless etc for controlling transferring, uploading etc, email, music, catchup and films.

If your an Amazon prime customer they make a lot of sense, paid about 90 quid for the 10" on a black Friday offer last year.
24 Jul 2020 3:38AM

Quote:The Chromebook arrived...nice looking machine, although s new learning curve...but I couldn't get my camera to communicate with it...I've decided to return it...

Now I can't make up my mind !!!

I might just have to fall back on a high spec tablet.

Returning it is probably a good idea, unless you are only going to shoot JPEG. I've owned both an Acer and an ASUS chromebook. In the case of each both had very small hard drives. Thus you could not transfer your photos by WIFI to the devices because there is no room on the hard drive to store the images. Typically, on a chromebook the processor uses your SD card as the hard drive. That is it loads the photo from your SD card in the card slot to the editor, and copies the edited photo back to the SD card. Therefore, you have to load the chromebook with your images via the card slot in the machine and keep your SD card there while editing. Also, the editor you use is best to be a browser based editor. The hard drive is typically too small to hold a large editor. There are several such editors available but, I know of none that are RAW processors. So, as I said, it is probably best that you sent the chromebook back.
cats_123 Plus
24 Jul 2020 8:27AM
Thanks guys. Chromebook has gone back. I continue to search...may just spend my money on a lens 😁
24 Jul 2020 3:10PM
Having thought about the storage issue and not wanting to be reliant on the cloud, I think I will go for a refurbished win 10 laptop with affinity.
cats_123 Plus
24 Jul 2020 4:27PM

Quote:Having thought about the storage issue and not wanting to be reliant on the cloud, I think I will go for a refurbished win 10 laptop with affinity.

Probably the best decision... it's a payoff between flexibility and security... good luck...😀

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.