Save 69% on inPixio Photo Studio 11 Ultimate (discount applied at checkout)

Civil war reenactment

absurd 19 228 United Kingdom
18 Jun 2009 7:00PM
Sheffield Fayre has had a series of American Civil War reenactments plus plenty from other wars. It's held over August Bank Holiday weekend and it's free.
Pete 20 18.8k 97 England
18 Jun 2009 8:22PM
Thanks for the link Steve..do you know if this one is anywhere near the same scale as the Sealed Knot one, that you recommended a few years ago?
Paul Morgan 19 19.5k 6 England
18 Jun 2009 11:48PM
The sealed knot, not seen them in years.

Not civil war but these are great to see as well.
fauxtography 15 6.6k 36
22 Jun 2009 11:52AM
The Sheffield Fayre is pretty large, they take over a fair part of Norfolk Park. It does not have one large event, but lots of smaller skirmishes from the different periods. There is plenty of opportunities to wander in amongst the re-enactors before and after their shows. Last time they had a fairly big area roped off for the skirmishes, so take a long lens if you want close-ups of the action.
Lofty100 14 70 United Kingdom
23 Jun 2009 10:35PM
I work with someone who is into re-enacting, I will ask him for details of websites tomorrow and report back.
Cephus 16 2.6k England
24 Jun 2009 12:06PM
Try this and look at the photo gallery under features.

English Civil War Society
Lofty100 14 70 United Kingdom
8 Jul 2009 9:30PM
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, but I have been very busy. The site he told me about is www.britishplatearmoursociety.org.uk

(edited to give correct www link)
absurd 19 228 United Kingdom
9 Jul 2009 7:24AM
Pete,
sorry, I've only just now looked back at this thread. The Sealed Knot battle the other year was one of the few really big ones they do each year. The Sheffield Fayre battles don't get to be as big as that one but are still pretty impressive. The largest ones are the American Civil War reenactments - very noisy affairs with lots of guns, cannons and horses. The last couple of years, the battles have been held in a natural amphitheatre in the park so visibility has been pretty good.
The encampment is also good for candid photography - all the actors try to stay in character for the duration.
Steve
KevSB 17 1.5k 5 United Kingdom
9 Jul 2009 7:44AM
I go to thes events all the time and they can be a very good day out, the english civil war events are more south based and im unsure of your location.
The american civil war is a very large group and put on impressive displays, if your north based then I would reccomend Sheffield fayre, its free and very suitable for photographers due the nature of the arena Althrough they do have an event in doncaster this year as well as tatton park later in the year.

The venue is Critical for good pictures If you wish to photograph the battle as due to health and safety you can be limited by location and the crowds,
25 and 26 of this month is the festival of history and is a all period event and one of the largest in the country.

festival of history

For more recent historic period look up the Victory show which is the largest 1040s event and inc flybys and armoured vchs.

http://www.victoryshow.co.uk /

Clivedon also host a very large event and is south based but ive not been to that venue.

I could be more specific if I knew your location and how far you wanted to travel,
Coleslaw 15 13.4k 28 Wales
9 Jul 2009 8:20AM
South Wales - Cardiff area.
KevSB 17 1.5k 5 United Kingdom
9 Jul 2009 4:11PM
The Southern Skirmish Association do american civil war in the south of uk and hold events at bath later in the year and western super mere earlier on.

Some events but never been to them personally as they are quite a drive for me

Tewkesbury Medieval Festival 2009

Romans and Britons at Caerwent

The Berkeley Skirmish 2009

Wild West Weekend bath

Romans and Britons at St Fagans cardiff

Sealed knot english civil war have a major event at weston super mare 8-Aug-2009 to 9-Aug-2009
WESTON SUPERMARE, Somerset
This could well be what your looking for as it is a large battle. They class large as Major Muster - over 1000 participants
Coleslaw 15 13.4k 28 Wales
9 Jul 2009 6:36PM
Cheers.
The Sealed Knot one in WSM is already in my diary... Smile
From your first link, I noticed I have missed the one in WSM last month... Sad

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.