Save up to 360 on selected ZEISS lenses!

Cleaning CCD/Sensor

ian_w 14 22 United Kingdom
1 Feb 2011 7:48PM
Realised recently with sky shots, or wall shots all these artifacts showing up. I've just ordered a blower, spatulas and a compressed air canister. Is compressed air a good or bad idea? It mentions being suitable for cleaning sensors. So just wondered what everyone else is using?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

whipspeed 15 4.2k 22 United Kingdom
1 Feb 2011 7:57PM
Bad, bad, bad idea, never ever spray it in your camera. It generally contains a propellant that will cover the sensor. The only way to use it is with a sensor vac. But I've not found them much good.
Use your blower to remove any loose dust, then if you have anything stuck on there, then use the swabs with a suitable cleaning liquid.
I use intemos swabs which work really well, but seem difficult to order. Also for loose particles an arctic butterfly.
jken 13 1.7k 1 United Kingdom
1 Feb 2011 8:04PM
Arctic Butterfly, looks like something Ann Summers would be proud to sell but works well......oh and it needs batteries as well.
ian_w 14 22 United Kingdom
1 Feb 2011 8:04PM
I've ordered:

Camgloss Blower Tornado
Green Clean Wet and Dry Spatulas/Swabs

so that'll probably sort my sensor out, the compressed gas I'll just stick with for the computer then as I needed it for that as well anyway.
1 Feb 2011 8:06PM
Good idea. I speak from experience with my first ever DSLR, a Canon 300D and my pride and joy. It took a day of very, very careful cleaning to remove the residue with the correct tools, it did work, but caused a bit of panic.
tomcat 14 6.4k 15 United Kingdom
1 Feb 2011 8:25PM
I use the blower & then the Sensoklean pen, with the magnifier.
It was Sarah (Whipspeed)who put me onto itGrin

Only ever used it once, since Sarah herself cleaned my sensor.
All the D.B's disappeared, which were showing up on my macro shots, in the plain backgrounds of butterflies mainly

Adrian
Daffy1 12 390 Ireland
1 Feb 2011 8:36PM
Bring it to a good Camera shop and get it done properly. Damian
cheddar-caveman 16 1.1k England
1 Feb 2011 9:11PM
These are what I used on my 40D. Easy to use, good results!

http://www.photosol.com/
1 Feb 2011 9:24PM
Glad it's still nice and clean Adrian Smile
NickParry 14 1.0k 79 Wales
3 Feb 2011 2:00PM
Eclipse fluid and sensor swabs (PecPads cut into strips and attached with a small rubber band to a sensor swab that I have taken the old material off). Never had a problem doing it, and results take seconds of cleaning, and the sensor is 100% clean. I clean mine, and others sensors regularly. It also saves time messing around with cleaning up the image in post-production.
4 Feb 2011 1:04PM
I've got to the point with my 5D of being so fed up with the amount of dust bunnies that I've decided to clean it once, and never taken the lens off again. I know this sounds crazy, but the lens I have is the 24-105 L and it's so good that I don't need anything else for my wedding photography. I also use a 40D with my 1.4 50mm on, and again, hardly ever take it off. Like NickParry, I use Eclipse and sensor swabs from CopperHill, but also have had great success with Dust-Aid - a sort of rubber pad on a stick that just grips the dust off, with no liquid or residue in sight. Great!
Daniel Charles Photography
4 Feb 2011 1:10PM

Quote: I know this sounds crazy

Yep Grin

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.