Save up to 360 on selected ZEISS lenses!

Close-up and Macro Photography Questions

Overread 11 4.1k 19 England
2 Apr 2011 9:05PM
But they can be so much fun!

Also to confirm/test:

1) Teleconverters do keep infinity focus for a lens (a big reason I'm a big fan of using a 1.4TC with macro lenses)

2) I tested my 150mm and (as expected) 1:1 is occurring at the 1:2 point on the focusing scale (or 0.5:1 for some other lens markings). Ie the magnifications values are all simply doubled.

Note however that you're losing 2 stops of light and if your using flash and have it mounted to the camera on a bracket, unless you mod the bracket to be further forward you are also losing light from the flash itself (if kept to a single manual power output). Of course you can increase flash output, but it might drain your battery noticeably faster/slow recycling rates.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Lynx08 11 1.2k Scotland
2 Apr 2011 9:06PM
yep, can't be doing with reading an instruction manual! Don't mind referring back to it if I can't find how to do something but much prefer to play with something and find out what it and I can do.
Lynx08 11 1.2k Scotland
2 Apr 2011 9:07PM
Once knew a guy who bought a camera and spent days reading the manual !!
Nothing better than trying out a new toyGrin
BigRick 14 2.1k 3 United Kingdom
2 Apr 2011 11:37PM

Quote:Yep, can't be doing with reading an instruction manual! Don't mind referring back to it if I can't find how to do something but much prefer to play with something and find out what it and I can do.

on the other hand, if you read it first, then it takes away the guess work about the camera....if you find you dont need to know something, its better to know you dont need it, than not know about it at all.
StrayCat 15 19.1k 3 Canada
3 Apr 2011 4:05AM
I don't have a macro lens, and won't for a month, so I'm just tossing about ideas. Of course it would be more fun to try it out , but I'm stuck with talking about it right now.Wink

We've had at least a foot of snow today, and the roads are treacherous, so couldn't do much anyway.
StrayCat 15 19.1k 3 Canada
3 Apr 2011 4:08AM

Quote:Nope - I prefer to just go by experience and sod the technicalities

For me, half the fun is in the learning. When the weather improves, and the bugs come out, I hope I'm ready.Grin

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.