Save 69% on inPixio Photo Studio 10 Ultimate

Club projector suggestions - dependant on budget

SteveBB 14 31 United Kingdom
18 Jul 2016 8:44PM
I have looked through previous posts regarding projectors but struggling to identify something "affordable" for our club.

We will be displaying images for PAGB and will obviously need something capable of 1400 x 1050

Please could someone with experience suggest a "reasonably good" projector around the 500 - 700 range.

Other considerations up to 1000

And finally up to 1500

Many thanks in advance.

Steve
ps my experience in projectors is limited to home cinema only and I know these will definitely not do the job Wink

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

psiman 16 574 Wales
18 Jul 2016 11:14PM
Hi Steve,

I assume you are aware that the PAGB will be moving to 1600 x 1200 (UXGA) from the beginning of 2018 so you might want to ensure that whatever you buy will also be capable of handling that resolution as well.

Simon
pink Plus
17 6.5k 8 United Kingdom
19 Jul 2016 7:37AM
I believe that the PAGB have done a deal with a supplier offering discount on Canon projectors, maybe prudent to have a look on the PAGB website, we just bought one through this scheme and we even got a spare bulb included.
Ian
SteveBB 14 31 United Kingdom
19 Jul 2016 7:57AM
Many thanks indeed Simon and Ian for both these comments - currently looking at the Epson 1900 series which seem to be the cheapest "usable" projector unless I am convinced otherwise.

Specifically the Epson 1980WU or the Epson 1985WU.

Thanks again,

Steve
Dave_Canon Plus
14 1.8k United Kingdom
19 Jul 2016 11:38AM
In the past the LCD technology used by Epsom was not considered suitable for still photography. The images looked pixelated. However, I am told that this is now better with the more recent high resolution projectors. However, for still photography you need to be able to calibrate carefully and show highlight and shadow details. My club has not found a perfect projector but the LCos technology projectors from Canon are close. Most larger clubs I know use a Canon Lcos projectors but sadly many smaller clubs (unless they obtain a Lottery grant) cannot afford them at about 2,700. For the Club's last two projector purchases both Canon Lcos, we had demos before choosing. There are several large retailers of projectors who will probably be more than willing to arrange a demo of 2 or 3 models for you. We went to a on-line supplier about 50 miles away and spent almost 2 hours comparing 3 different models with our old DLP projector. We took various files of challenging images we were familiar with as well as test charts. The Canon rep turned up and spent an hour with us and was most interested in still photographic projection. In the end we bought a Canon projector and the Canon rep gave the Club a new DSLR. Last time we dealt directly with Canon who readily gave demos of 3 models at our location and then recommended a supplier.

Dave

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.