Christmas Prize Draw 2017

Clunking noise Sigma 150 Macro

Hoverflylover 7 46 1 England
14 Mar 2018 8:05AM
A few days ago I purchased a mint condition Sigma 150 macro lens. Used it yesterday and it seems to be giving me problems. Firstly it sounds like there is a clucking noise, perhaps the glass element moving but when switching to manual focus, as soon as I try to perfect the focusing by pressing the shutter to hear the bleap, the it tries to autofocus even though on manual. Alarmingly when I was downloading my images to the PC the lens was clunking again intermittently after each image was downloaded. I'm using it on a Canon 7D Mark II. I have e.mailed the company (Wex Photographic) who are excellent and I suspect I'm gonna have to send it back. Don't want to as the images are superb. Just wondered if anyone else has any thoughts or advice on this. I'm not an expert at all but haven't experienced this with any of my other Canon or Tamrom or other Sigma lens. Thank you all. Linda.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

saltireblue Plus
8 8.7k 34 Norway
14 Mar 2018 8:10AM
The clunking appears to be normal. If you put your thread title into google there are several threads where this is discussed

My new Fuji 80mm macro does the same and it is normal. I understand it has something to do with the electromagnets inside that are part of the IOS.

Focus problem:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1165295
14 Mar 2018 11:43AM
Thank you for your response saltireblue. I have received an e.mail from Wex and they say it doesn't sound quite right. Does your camera make clunking noises when it is on but put down on say a stationery table. Mine does.
saltireblue Plus
8 8.7k 34 Norway
14 Mar 2018 3:01PM

Quote:Does your camera make clunking noises when it is on but put down on say a stationery table. Mine does.

No, the noise is only from the one lens.
Philh04 Plus
13 2.0k United Kingdom
24 Mar 2018 8:49AM
If this is the OS version of that lens it is normal.

It is all down to the way Sigmas OS works (AF or MF has no effect). The 'floating' OS elements do just that until some activity activates the system hence the clunk, even when OS is turned off the electro magnets still power up to stop the element floating.

So all that clunking is quite normal and really no cause for concern...
24 Mar 2018 11:51AM
Thank you for your comment Philh04 Plus. I have now returned the lens to Wex who have given me a full refund. There were other issues too with the image jumping in the frame and trying to autofocus when on manual. Sorry I had to return it as the images where very good but there were also some very bad reviews on Amazon with other people who had problems.
Philh04 Plus
13 2.0k United Kingdom
24 Mar 2018 12:07PM
That is a shame, it is a fine lens. not come across any issue with trying to AF when in manual (I use back button focus so never touch the AF/MF switch) the jumping image is again normal when the OS kicks in, it is a very different experience to Canons IS which is very smooth when starting up....

Glad WEX gave a full refund, always good to deal with them.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.