Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

Code cracking

jimbo_t 18 959 England
10 Apr 2005 3:08PM
I've just inherited a car from my gran, only problem being that its not been used in a long time and the battery is dead, replaced this but the radio needs the code entered and I cannot find it in the documentation. Any ideas? I remeber there was an old trick of putting them in the freezer to reset the code, anybody tried this?
Jim
ruralscotland 16 1.3k
10 Apr 2005 3:10PM
What make of car is it Jim? Most Dealers will be able to give you the code as long as you can give them the chassis number of the car.

I know that Volvo, Rover and Renault did this for me!

Allan
strawman 17 22.2k 16 United Kingdom
10 Apr 2005 3:22PM
If you take the car to the dealer it can be re-set. Some dealers can track the code by the chassis number as stated, but even if this is not possible it is normally possible to re-code it after 20mins or so.

Most modern radios use EEPROM or Flash to store the code so I doubt freezing them would help. I doubt freezing would pass the Thatcham tests.
ali graham 17 102 Scotland
10 Apr 2005 3:27PM
Hi James,

I once tried the trick of putting it in the freezer, but couldn't get the door shut... mind you I did have an estate car...

LOL!

Sorry James, couldn't resist that one. I'd listen to the other two answers, most dealers would be able to help out.

ali
sillyconguru 16 4.4k
10 Apr 2005 3:31PM
We get many cars in that need to have the security code entered. Some dealers only "give-out" a certain number of radio codes per day, so you may need to get on the phone early.

Our first step is to look in the service documentation. The code should be on a card or in the front of the service log, many people write the code in the back of the service log (i.e. disguised as a telephone number, like 884263, where the last 4 digits are the code).

The second port of call is to removed the stereo. Often, the code has been written onto the chassis of the unit (silly idea, but people do this).

Next, we would contact the dealer.

If all else fails, we would ship the stereo out to a local ICE dealer/installer. They would then re-code the stereo.
pj.morley 18 947 United Kingdom
10 Apr 2005 5:45PM
I reckon if you take it to a an auto electrician then they could do it for you without too much hassle...
phil beale 18 1.5k United Kingdom
10 Apr 2005 6:54PM
How old is the car and is it a built in unit the type that come in two parts unit in one area and display elsewhere. Or is it a unit you can buy in Halfords that just slot in the hole.

It may be cheaper to buy a new one from Halfords.

Alternatively look on ebay i have seen people selling cd's that unlock the radio codes. not sure if or how it works.

I did buy a second hand Toyota which did not have the code i saw the Toyota dealer and they said they would have to send the unit away which would cost 60. So i just bought a new radio with cd instead.

phil
Cephus 16 2.6k England
11 Apr 2005 12:07AM
Jim,

look here

Peter.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.