Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Coffee Machine Capsules/Pods. Help.

11 Oct 2017 4:44PM
Are the various coffee machine capsules/pods compatible with different makes of those machines.? My wife has been given a LavAzza Favola EASY, which uses - Modo MIO pods/capsules. She cannot locate those locally, although the supermarket has various pods/capsules for other makes of coffee machines.
Anyone with personal knowledge of the compatibility of these/those pods with a LavAzza machine and can post their observations, - I would greatly appreciate their comments.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

arhb Plus
11 3.4k 68 United Kingdom
11 Oct 2017 6:43PM
My brother just went through the same dilemma with his coffee pod machine(not a LavAzza).
My view is, if you can find a generic pod/capsule, that has the same exact dimensions throughout, and pod/capsule access, they should work okay.
It's only when you start using something that doesn't fit in the machine as well as it should, that the machine starts to malfunction.

Fma7 3 835 United Kingdom
11 Oct 2017 7:47PM
You can get refillables

Link
KenTaylor 13 3.1k 2 United Kingdom
12 Oct 2017 3:43PM
Could never work out the advantage of these machines apart from the generous profit the capsules generate.
12 Oct 2017 4:05PM
Thanks all three for the help. I suspected that other makes of capsule might cause problems. I have had a look at the link re refillables, but think they would be too much bother.
I agree with Ken regarding the generous ?, more like 'outrageous' profit on the capsules.
My wife drinks 'instant' coffee - ugh. I use Taylor's Lazy Sunday in a simple machine together with a filter paper. Reason - until 20 years back would brew the coffee in a pot, then use a coffee strainer, but I started experiencing chest palpitations. That put me off proper coffee for years.
My wife has used several of the introductory capsules with the machine, and she is quite impressed with their flavours, but after instant I suppose it tastes like nectar.Grin
arhb Plus
12 Oct 2017 6:28PM
You need to be aware, that like wine, coffee is good for you. That's all you need to know.
Enjoy the palpitations! Grin
cats_123 Plus
14 4.8k 28 Northern Ireland
13 Oct 2017 6:56AM
Try here..

compatible pods

We `won' a De gusto machine,,,tried to find compatibles, but it's quite hard...makes brilliant coffee though..but the supermarkets charge the earth!!
altitude50 14 12.7k United Kingdom
13 Oct 2017 8:52AM
I have had a Nespresso 'Pixie' machine for 6 years, brilliant never let me down, drink one or two cups per day x 2. The capsules work out at about 35p each, compare that with High Street coffee shop prices of 2 plus per cup.
Several competitors have brought out cheaper capsules for Nespresso machines, always in plastic. Tried most of them. The seal round the edge is not good enough and the coffee is not of the same quality.
13 Oct 2017 4:33PM
Nothing like fresh ground coffee while the pods were marketed for time savers. Thjey have done well marketing almost as good as McDonalds. Comparing cost the pods work out at double if not more than the loose coffee.

After using a Bialetti Moka Express Espresso Maker, yoiu will never ever use anything else.
Am I surprised you were given a pod machine, no not reallyGrin
chris.maddock 17 3.7k United Kingdom
13 Oct 2017 4:56PM

Quote:Nothing like fresh ground coffee while the pods were marketed for time savers. Thjey have done well marketing almost as good as McDonalds. Comparing cost the pods work out at double if not more than the loose coffee.

Peas come in pods, coffee comes as beans Wink
altitude50 14 12.7k United Kingdom
14 Oct 2017 7:34AM
Fresh ground coffee and capsules. Not comparing like for like in taste or cost. Coffee, the drink from capsules is made by pressurised hot water forced through the coffee capsule, which is sealed and fresher than the ground coffee in a jar or tin that has been open for a few days..
arhb Plus
14 Oct 2017 10:05AM

Quote:
After using a Bialetti Moka Express Espresso Maker, you will never ever use anything else.

These pots create quite a different tasting coffee to a pressurised espresso machine, and I like both.
The level of pressure is what sets industrial machines above most domestic espresso makers, as this factor affects the end flavour.

14 Oct 2017 12:52PM
I agree with altitude50 there is nothing like the smell of opening a sealed bag of ground coffee. That first smell is wonderful. I keep mine sealed as close as possible in the fridge but after a few days it loses that aroma.
14 Oct 2017 1:04PM
Bought a domestic pressurised macjine with the pump giving up the ghost after 12 months..

Quote from the Barista page

Grinder , Ready Ground or Capsule

18 is the figure used by many Italian coffee expert when quantifying the best time scales in the coffee production
Green Beans Good for 18 months
Roasted coffee Good for 18 weeks (we say 6)
Ground Coffee Good for 18 minutes

As you can see from this ideally coffee should be drunk within 18 minutes of being ground which if you do not have a grinder is very difficult. Manufacturers over the years have tried various ways of sealing the coffee after it has been ground to retain the flavour, with out doubt the most successful has been the introduction of the capsule this not only preserves the flavour but also simplifies the coffee making process. Of course there is no substitute for grinding your own to give the best and freshest flavour. Unfortunately grinders capable of grinding coffee fine enough for espresso machine do not come cheap
lobsterboy Plus
14 14.9k 13 United Kingdom
14 Oct 2017 4:53PM
I've tried loads of different machines but none produce anything nearly as nice as a nice cup of mellow Birds.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.