'Portrait Photography' Competition - Win A Samyang 85mm F/1.4 FE II Lens!

Cokin P filters

kdwendorf 13 2 United Kingdom
28 Feb 2009 10:17AM
Hi im looking at getting some filters at the min i have a canon 17-85mm lense but will be looking to get a sigma 10-20mm later in the year would the Cokin P filters be ok for these two lenses or only the 17-85mm, i using a canon 50d if thats any help.
Thanks for looking.
Karl
Chris_H 18 1.5k 1
28 Feb 2009 10:27AM
You will need some larger filters for the 10-20mm, have a look at Lee, Hitech and Cokin Z or X pro filters.

Hitech do both 100mm x 100mm and 100mm x 150mm and are normally a bit cheaper than the Lee & Cokin sets.
sherlob Plus
16 3.3k 133 United Kingdom
28 Feb 2009 10:31AM
Karl,

Over the last 3 - 4 years I have spent a bloody fortune on filters and my advice is: save your money - save a little harder (if needed) and buy a bigger format e.g. Lee or Cokin z or even x pro. You don't mention which specific filters you want, or how you will use them, but looking at your PF I assume landscape and therefore ND grads?

P filter holders tend to give vignettes on very wide angle lenses, and the nd grads have a nasty knack of giving a horrid pink colour cast in certian situations (although reportedly this has improoved in recent years). I have found I get a similar cast with cokins top range filters (x-pro) when using more than 3 stops of grad and on long exposures. That said it can create a nice aesthestic effect - but it is one I would prefer to control rather than have enforced.

My biggest gripe about Cokin is the quality of the holder. All cokin holders have 2 nubs of plastic intended to retain a polarizer - the problem is that I find these nubs catch easily on the filters as you put them in and scratch. Not good when an x-pro grad cost 45.

I have finally decided to go with Lee and have forked out a further 200 on a foundation set and some nd grads. I have not used them yet, but from what I have read they are at least as good as the top cokin filters, but with a far superior holder.

Hope this helps.

Adam
kdwendorf 13 2 United Kingdom
28 Feb 2009 11:16AM
Thank you thats a big help i would have been gutted if i had to get two sets of filters for each lense i'll just have to save a bit more and go for the Lee filters.
Thanks
Karl
woodrow 15 153 Scotland
1 Mar 2009 1:01AM
hi

the advice given above is correct re: P filters for 10-20mm, you will need larger ones so start saving!

some things to consider, the lee filter is much better built than the cokin version; the cokin z filters will give you a pink/magenta cast (you can get rid of this in ps); polariser filters for this size costs loads....

but, you will be very happy when you get them! my advice, get the lee system

rgds

Paul
49er 16 564
1 Mar 2009 8:44AM
I bought Cokin Filters and used them a lot.. Then was 'forced' by paul (SUT68) to buy Lee Filters..Smile... A great decision..The Lee Filters are so much better... Save up and get the Lee System if you can afford it.. IMHO anyway .
dazzaman 16 631 England
1 Mar 2009 9:02AM
i use hi tech nd grads, and i find them ok for landscape work.if you want the lee system, you better remortgage your house. Wink
daz.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.