Start your photography store - 30% off Picfair Plus!

Color Munki Smile

5 Aug 2013 3:55PM
Anyone out there have any experience of the new Color Munki 'Smile' monitor calibration tool. It seems a resonable price and Color-Munki have a good name, is there something nobody's telling me or do I spend a bit more on a Spyder Express?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

5 Aug 2013 5:59PM
I haven't used it personally but there is a review of it on ephotozine

https://www.ephotozine.com/article/colormunki-smile-monitor-calibration-review-20931
GlennH 14 1.9k 1 France
5 Aug 2013 6:34PM
I'd guess that it's quite likely to be more accurate than the Spyder Express, since it uses the same technology as X-Rite's more expensive models. Like the Express, it won't tell you the luminance level (brightness) of your monitor or adjust it in any way, so that part of calibration is left to you.

I still like that you can buy the Spyder Express and hook it up to third-party software, which you can't do with cheaper X-Rite calibrators.
5 Aug 2013 8:46PM
Thanks to you both - appreciated. I missed the review!!
Blush
GlennH 14 1.9k 1 France
5 Aug 2013 11:19PM
There's another review here . Ephotozine seem to suggest that the 'Smile' adjusts brightness, but if that's what they're saying it doesn't -- it'll adjust gamma to 2.2 and set a standard D65 or 6500K white point, and then build a profile around those settings plus the existing brightness level.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.