Nik Collection 2018 by DxO - FREE with selected X-Rite products!

Colour Calibration reverting after closing laptop

Tianshi_angie 4 2.4k England
10 Mar 2017 1:37PM
I have calibrated my laptop monitor 2 days running as the screen had turned decidedly blue (suddenly). So Wednesday it was calibrated, looked great but when I turned the laptop on Thurday morning the screen was back to blue. I calibrated again yesterday afternoon - making sure that the profile was saved and it had all been set correctly but this morning when I switched it on it was back to blue. I have opened C:/Windows\System32\spool\drivers\color and clicked on the profile name to install but nothing happens - the screen remains blue. I have run MalwareBytes and deleted all the files it found all to no avail. Please can anyone suggest a solution. Using Spyder 4, Windows 10.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Railcam 12 738 2 Scotland
10 Mar 2017 2:16PM
To check go to:
Settings>System>Display>Advanced Display Settings.

Your calibrated display setting should show in the Colur Profile box.

If it does not, click on Colour Management and move your calibrated setting to the top of the stack.

Hope this works for youC
10 Mar 2017 2:35PM
Sorry, should have added, to get your chosen profile to the top of the stack, highlight it then click on the "Set as Default Profile" button.

On boot up it will take a few seconds until the "default" profile kicks in.
10 Mar 2017 2:51PM
Thanks for that. I think I have done everything correctly but the screen is still blue - the address bar at the top is pale blue instead of white. Perhaps it should be pale blue?
User_Removed 8 240 United Kingdom
10 Mar 2017 3:28PM
Have you confirmed that you are not using the manufacturers eye-strain relieving utility? My ASUS Zenbook has such a utility and you need to switch it off if intending colour critical work.
User_Removed 8 240 United Kingdom
10 Mar 2017 3:32PM
Also ....... while I think of it. Is your laptop a powerful one that has a dedicated graphic chip? Often such laptops have two graphics providers. One built into the motherboard (that is used by cheaper laptops) and a second dedicated powerful one that is absent in cheaper laptops. You sometimes have to tell the graphics system which one to use and which monitor profile to use also.
10 Mar 2017 3:59PM
Yes I do have two graphics providers and as far as I know no eye strain relieving software. This happened very suddenly when I updated Adobe Flash player and a Google bar appeared at the top of my screen which took some manouevring to get rid of - which was suspicious, which is why I ran Malware Bytes. Normally when I calibrate the monitor it stays OK for some time. I have just recalibrated again and named it with today's date and at the moment it is top of the stack. The address bar at the top of ePz has returned to white and photos are looking more natural. I am hoping that this will now be OK but I have a feeling that somewhere there is a little bug lurking which is causing the problem. Thanks for all your help.
Philh04 Plus
13 2.0k United Kingdom
10 Mar 2017 5:02PM
Not a PC user, but one trick our IT people used to use was to roll back to the state before the error, not sure if that will solve it and you will have to update flash player again...
10 Mar 2017 5:11PM
I tried that Phil - thanks for the suggestion - but my roll back did not go back far enough. I have no idea how Windows actually sets the dates for roll back - I always thought they kept quite a few dates but when I looked there was only yesterday!
User_Removed 5 328 United Kingdom
10 Mar 2017 10:17PM
Try setting colours with your GPU control panel and see what happens, you may be setting with Windows 10 - and then GPU control panel is resetting on boot-up.....
10 Mar 2017 10:41PM
The colour should be set by the calibration and over-ride all the other settings. This is what it is not doing. I will explore further tomorrow - hopefully this last calibration has resolved the problem but if it hasn't I will certainly look at your suggestion. Thanks for suggesting it.
11 Mar 2017 11:33AM
All seems to be well this morning - so thank you everyone for your input.
11 Mar 2017 6:56PM
Thanks for letting us know. I like a happy ending.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.